• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Are wider skis uncomfortable?

Kent

Getting on the lift
Skier
The widest skis I have skied are 100 mm underfoot. That is not particularly wide. Even so, trying to keep them gliding flat and preventing the inside edges from angling in is a little uncomfortable. Moreover, they have a tendency to clack together which bothers me. Both my knees and my hips are happier on my 88 mm skis. So I have a difficult time seeing myself being comfortable on wider freeride skis - say in the 105-108 range - and I can't imagine skiing on true powder skis.

How do you shorter legged skiers do it? How do you find comfort on your wider skis?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
so I am extremely short legged(27 inch inseam). I am sure wider side are less comfortable and hard to ski, but I am also pretty sure your alignment is probably really off, and or you ski really back seat.

For me its my feet, but I have no issue not clacking a 100mm ski together while skiing. I ski narrower ski on harder snow to save my feet.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How many wide skis have you tried? I had a lot of knee pain with my first setup, a 1-month stint with some Faction Agent 90s (which, get pretty dismal reviews from... everyone). Went narrower after that, but off piste in the PNW demands more width, and cautiously ventured back up with a lot of demo skiing. No issues since (and I’m 5-2).

Which is basically to say, waist width is only 1 variable in the overall construction that might not jive with you. Especially since the 12mm difference in width is a pretty small gap when it comes to knocking skis.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I am 6 feet tall and don't notice any knee issue whether on 65 mm wide GS skis or 115 mm wide powder skis--these days harder snow and getting air seem to have more effect on my knees than ski width...

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The widest skis I have skied are 100 mm underfoot. That is not particularly wide. Even so, trying to keep them gliding flat and preventing the inside edges from angling in is a little uncomfortable. Moreover, they have a tendency to clack together which bothers me. Both my knees and my hips are happier on my 88 mm skis. So I have a difficult time seeing myself being comfortable on wider freeride skis - say in the 105-108 range - and I can't imagine skiing on true powder skis.

How do you shorter legged skiers do it? How do you find comfort on your wider skis?

They might be uncomfortable after a long day on hard snow or heavy wet "powder". There are many factors involved as previously mentioned. Narrower skis are generally easier on the knees on hard snow no question. I start to notice a difference with skis in the 110mm width range or wider but nothing major. (see my signature below)

(I am 6-2 190 lb)

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would agree with Josh to check alignment. If even gliding on the flat is taking work, there maybe something wrong with your alignment where you are not neutral.
I am 5 7" and take 117 automatics for powder skis, 98bonafides for allmtn, and 80 for skinny skis. I've also got fischer vacuum boots, with inherent canting. If I were to put a ruler against their spine, they are not straight up and down, but form to my leg.

That being said, the wider skis definitely are more work , and I do end up feeling it in the knees after approx 4days of hard skiing. But it shouldn't be so devastating that you can't ski a couple days on them though. As an example, I can definitely tell when if I need to skate or herringbone uphill, it's takes a lot lot more effort and contortion to get the powder skis to edge in , and I slip a bit and have very inefficient skating vs the skinny skis.

How do I make it work; well I have never been so lucky to get more than 2 full-on powder days in a row, or 4 days of soft snow; so build in a rest day once you are more comfortable with knowing your limits.

TS
Kent

Kent

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am also pretty sure your alignment is probably really off, and or you ski really back seat.
My alignment has been checked and adjusted by my boot fitter. If anything, I ski too far forward rather than back seat. I do, however, appreciate your feed back, Josh. I know you are an accomplished skier and if your 27" inseam legs can accommodate wide skis, then my 29" legs should be able to also.

How many wide skis have you tried?
Just the one pair and, as I noted, they are not all that wide. Yes, demoing some wide skis would be ideal. Your posts, Analisa, where you mention the width of your skis is one of the things prompting me to post my query.

Alignment + adductor/abductor work in the off season.
I have a torn labrum in both hips. So my physical therapist is having me do adductor/abductor work. Thanks for the suggestion.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
100 mm is where the skis put noticeable strain on your knees. You need to snug up your boots. If your boots fit loose, you will have control problems. Most people only bring out the fatties when the snow is soft and your edges sink into the snow, so much less strain. I have a 143 mm powder ski, it's not fun on hard snow and I have to ski with a wide stance, but it floats me on top. I have to keep my knees bent while on them so they are more work to ski.

Last edited:

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just the one pair and, as I noted, they are not all that wide. Yes, demoing some wide skis would be ideal. Your posts, Analisa, where you mention the width of your skis is one of the things prompting me to post my query.

Yes, definitely increase your sample size! Curious what you tried & what your daily drivers are?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I know at the beginning of the season I find my wider skis exhausting. They just use different muscles in your legs, especially on harder groomed snow. As the season progresses my legs get stronger and I notice it less. I think the stress is less noticeable when the inside edge of the ski is able to penetrate the snow surface more, so maybe 3-4 inches deep the ski actually is able to rotate more easily without stress to your leg, the force is more stacked over your leg bone than pulling from the side. I know someone at sometime has had a nice graphic showing this.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I have never noticed any knee pain on any wider ski. I know some have this issue but I just figured there might be other variables at play plus everyone is different of course.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice info, I noted same issue and know it's my skill set needing improvement, but this me.

I tied it too that it one needs to apply more angle to get the same edge on turn simply as the edge is more off center which may mean more force on the knees and hips?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Have to agree about the construction that Analisa talks about. I found the Temptation 88's stiff and would be really tired after a day on them in hardpack. I also felt they didn't edge as well as my Hero's. While I was at the WB gathering, I noticed the ADF plate playing games on the Temptations and decided to demo some skis. Lucky for me my boot fitter was in residence and got me on some good stuff. Ended up getting the Atomic 95C the next year. Wider than the Temptation's but not as stiff.

The torque you need to get the ski on edge is what is causing knee pain. The article I have bookmarked on the work computer is a study done at the University of Ottawa. That was their conclusion.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think the snow conditions have a significant impact. I was on the K2 Pon2oon for several days, in the right conditions for them, and while there was a lot of user error, my lower limb joints didn’t ache or anything. The Pon2oons are 132. I am 5’0”. Yes, it was comical.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The torque you need to get the ski on edge is what is causing knee pain. The article I have bookmarked on the work computer is a study done at the University of Ottawa. That was their conclusion.

yeah, I figured off piste is far less taxing as packed piste, simple physics ... 20% wider off center is significant adder between 80mm and 100mm.

@Kent , you are referring to pain primarily from groomers or packed or even off piste?

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm short and have a pair of 105mm. I've never noticed any pain with them or difficulty keeping them from banging into each other. But, and this is a big but, I've only skied them in loose snow or powder ranging from 4" to 12" deep. I've never had them on hard snow.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Wide skis (let's say 90 mm and up) are fine in soft snow (i.e. where the edges can sink into the surface, more or less). On hard snow, wide skis are not ideal; narrower skis are. Most groomers (here in Europe at least) are hardpack, so people ski narrow skis on them. Only when it's really dumping and there is more than 3'' of fresh snow or slush on the rgoomers, I would switch to an allmountain ski of 90 or so. And only when in deeper pow (i.e. nothing packed really under the skis) I switch to my freeride skis.
In North America, you do things differently I think. But there's a reason I ski narrow skis on hard pack.

Sponsor

Staff online