• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Are tunes with variable edge angles a thing?

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skiing yesterday it struck me that on the skis I was on, I wanted sharper nose to underfoot but less acute tails. More than detuning the tails would provide, like blending in a different edge angle up towards the heel.

Do tunes exist wherein the edges are for instance 3 degrees in some places but 2 degrees in others? Are there any reasons other than practical doability this would be a bad idea?

Thanks!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
There are things called radial tunes where the base angle changes along the ski.

But I suspect you already knew that; it's been discussed on these forums enough.

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
There are things called radial tunes where the base angle changes along the ski.

But I suspect you already knew that; it's been discussed on these forums enough.
I had no idea! Thanks for the heads up, will do a bit of searching.

Why does base angle change instead of side?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's funny, a million years ago, back in the Age of the Straight Ski, there was a brief fling with variable base bevels. Flat underfoot fading to two at tip and tail.

But those were the dark, early years of self-ski tuning, in the early to mid 80s.

James

Out There
Instructor
The Jupiter will do it.
In their demo they only vary by about 1/2 degree on the side edges.

Sponsor

Staff online