• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Are the $50 Bolle Adult helmets at Costco decent?

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Are the $50 Bolle Adult helmets at Costco decent for the $?

Other options to consider?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I didnt' see what they have. Which models are available?

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Any ski helmet has to meet ASTM F2040 standards to be sold as a ski helmet in the US. Bolle and Costco are both reputable brands/retailers - if it were a weird no-name brand selling 3rd party on Amazon for <$30, I might get a little suspicious and look for proof of certification before buying.

The Smith Holt helmet might also be worth a look since you can find it a little cheaper than the Bolle on clearance. Their size chart kind of staggers with the Bolle sizing, so if you find you're between sizes on one, the other will probably work well.

I personally like one with more vents and shop the Smith Compass/Camber/Valence/Variance lines by Smith. Usually it's easy to find something in the $50 range on clearance somewhere by searching through Google shopping and Amazon.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The website doesn't give a model name/number... it says "exclusive" which I assume means exclusive to Costco. But it looks like this :

imageService

And Bolle's description :

Designed for maximum protection and uncompromised comfort, this exclusive Bollé Adult Helmet has an impressive collection of standard equipment. The interior features a plush, luxurious padded liner that is detachable for easy cleaning. Vented earpads can be removed to suit the weather or your personal preference. Exclusive Click-To-Fit™ system provides a precise fit with the simple turn of a dial.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've bought them before and have had no issues. The main concern is if they fit your head or not.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Have used one for 5 years? It is probably nt real high end. It does a fine job when somebody pulls the safety bar and it hits you on the noggin.
Like most helmets should made you a much prettier corpse if it seriously gets whacked.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree with @Analisa but I've noted some MIPS at outlet stores that aren't much more. Not knowing the specific advantage in brands .. I think there was a link in one of the threads here that ranked the MIPS versions but generally, I personally feel there may be a nice advantage if you might be at greater risk of a glancing type blow in a fall.

Not advocating evo.com but I looked there and noted if searching Helmets then filter on MIPs, they start at~$50 and at $60 Pret are coming in. My spouse got a Pret that fits great .. loves it. My more round head fit the Giro's well ...

cheers
pete

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
+1 on fit and feel. you're gonna be wearing it for a long time so a higher price amortizes over the years. I took the on line chance on mine being it the same model build .. and very limited options where I live but with kids, shopped their replacements when in Steamboat where they could find what was comfy.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The website doesn't give a model name/number... it says "exclusive" which I assume means exclusive to Costco. But it looks like this :

imageService

And Bolle's description :

Designed for maximum protection and uncompromised comfort, this exclusive Bollé Adult Helmet has an impressive collection of standard equipment. The interior features a plush, luxurious padded liner that is detachable for easy cleaning. Vented earpads can be removed to suit the weather or your personal preference. Exclusive Click-To-Fit™ system provides a precise fit with the simple turn of a dial.
That looks like the one I have. I also had the previous model, but replaced it after getting a hard smack. Advantages of the new one are the side is in two pieces so you will need to replace it after a hard smack breaks it apart and it has a knob to turn at the back that adjusts tightness of fit.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
I've just seen Bern (MIPS) as well as SPY (MIPS) helmets at some (not all) Costcos priced at $79. Just looked at Costco online and they have them! I may go for the SPY XL (59-60cm) as its a bit bigger than then Bolle which was a bit too tight.

I may check some online places as well like Evo (thanks Pete)!

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
Saw them today at Costco Paris- and as @dbostedo said above, no model name or number, but they look like his picture, and come in black and white.
IMG_1470.jpg

mallthus

Booting up
Skier
Had one I got in 2012. Used it for a couple years before getting a new Smith helmet. It was adequate for someone that skis a few weekends a year. If you’re a hard charger or in a place that’s really cold or wet, you’ll be unhappy.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The killer feature on a helmet, IMO, is a slider for the vents. I leave the vents open when I walk to/from the hill, and after that it's weather dependent.

You won't care about this if you're a) always overheated anyway or b) always frozen solid, but I'm one of those "freezing until I start moving, then immediately overheated" people.

And like a lot of things, as mentioned above, the vent thing will matter a lot more to you if you're skiing frequently.

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
The killer feature on a helmet, IMO, is a slider for the vents. I leave the vents open when I walk to/from the hill, and after that it's weather dependent.

You won't care about this if you're a) always overheated anyway or b) always frozen solid, but I'm one of those "freezing until I start moving, then immediately overheated" people.

And like a lot of things, as mentioned above, the vent thing will matter a lot more to you if you're skiing frequently.

I totally agree. This is a must have feature when I am shopping helmets.

Sponsor

Staff online