• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Are the 2019/20 iSpeed Pro and IRace Pro ...

RSTuthill

Booting up
Skier
... the same exact ski with different sidecut profiles (but same sidecut depth, aka sagitta, for each length)? Reading the Head literature and reading between the lines, it would seem so. The iRace appears to be optmized for quicker shorter turns whereas the iSpeed is oriented more towards a classic beer league cheater GS.

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I did a couple searches and found nothing.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
I am no expert but I think the binding plates may be the difference. I own a pair of the non pro model and love the skis. I do a lot of night league and Nastar with them. Can you post a link to the specs?
Are they World Cup Rebels or Supershape series?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I'm thinking plates are difference between Pro and regular, and the speed has slightly longer radius.
This site lets you compare three skis, but it seems to have trouble if you delete or add too many skis to compare list. Choose wisely the first time you add up to three skis.

TS
RSTuthill

RSTuthill

Booting up
Skier
For iRace Pro:

Designed for Multi Turn use in mind, strengthened and let off the leash the World Cup Rebels i.Race Pro is the fastest shop race ski on the planet, delivering race speed to experienced skiers too rebellious to compete. Buckle up for the explosive acceleration and precision handling of this true camber race monster. Souped up with control enhancing Titanal and the balance, lightness and strength of Graphene, this snappy, stable and ultimately fast pro race ski breaks speed limits for breakfast.

Specification Highlights
Lengths:
160, 165, 170, 175, 180
Dimensions: 119-68-99 @ 180cm
Turn Radius: 18m @ 180cm
Profile: Rebel Camber
Construction: Intelligence Technology, Graphene, KERS
Core: WC Sandwich
Tail: Traditional
Binding Included: NONE
Recommended Binding:
Head Freeflex Evo or Freeflex Evo Race
Recommended Use: Race/On Piste Performance
Ability Level:Expert
Manufacturer Warranty:2 Year

TS
RSTuthill

RSTuthill

Booting up
Skier
For iSpeed Pro:

Tuned, strengthened and let off the leash the World Cup Rebels i.Speed Pro is the fastest shop race ski on the planet, delivering race speed to experienced skiers too rebellious to compete. Buckle up for the explosive acceleration and precision handling of this true camber race monster. Souped up with control enhancing Titanal and the balance, lightness and strength of Graphene, this snappy, stable and ultimately fast pro race ski breaks speed limits for breakfast.

Specification Highlights
Lengths:
170, 175, 180, 185cm
Dimensions: 119-68-99 @ 180cm
Turn Radius: 18m @ 180cm
Profile: Rebel Camber
Construction: Intelligence Technology, Graphene, KERS
Core: WC Sandwich
Tail: Traditional
Binding Included: NONE
Recommended Binding:
Head Freeflex Evo or Freeflex Evo Race
Recommended Use: Race/On Piste Performance
Ability Level:Expert
Manufacturer Warranty:2 Year

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Talk about opaque. Sheesh.

TS
RSTuthill

RSTuthill

Booting up
Skier
Talk about opaque. Sheesh.
Yeah, no kidding, the ski shops don't even know and mine supplied me with the wrong ski. But since I maintain a three ski quiver at all times, I did some research and it looks like the ski they gave me was the one I wanted all along. My quiver is 167 SL, 180 GS, and a 177 mid fat.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
You have the same dimensions, and radius shown for both. That’s not accurate.

The dimensions of an i.speed and an i.speed pro are the same. For example, in a 180cm, which I ski, they are 119-68-99 and the radius is 18M.
The dimensions of an i.race and and an i.race pro are also the same. In a 180cm, they are 123-69-103, and the radius is 16.3M.
The i.race/i.race pro in a 170cm is 122-68-102, and the radius is 14.4M. I ski them in that length.

I've had a number of pairs of the i.speed, which I had mounted with a RDX plate and race bindings. That is not how they were sold. I was able to get them flat directly from Head, and set them up that way. They later began to sell the ski with the race plate, and branded it as the "pro". Same thing for the i.race. They added the option of the race plate. This year they have changed the cosmetics.

I am not one who believes that the "Guts" of the skis are different between the pro, and the "non pro." I also believe that the same core and construction is used for both the i.race and I.speed. That's one man's opinion, logging a few hundred days on them.

They are great skis. I would be happy free skiing either ski. I ski them on either groomed or rock hard smooth surfaces, normally pretty steep to a bit less steep. I can bend either one into a variety of turn shapes. I don't pay much attention to the turn shape. I have skied them both in a couple of lengths. Normally I ski a ski in it's longest length. Not these. I much prefer the way they ski in a 170cm and 180cm. 185cm i.speed does not work as well for me.
And the I.speed is really a carver, a high performance one.....not a race ski. 170cm is a nice money length in the ski.

I also was given a Super Shape i.speed this fall, in a 177cm. That is 125-69-104 ski, 15M radius. Mine are mounted with a plate and race bindings. The ski is a completely different ski than the others, but a really fun and capable, versatile ski. It's easy to ski, and it does not need a head of steam to come alive. I and myself skiing it much ore often than I thought would. It's the sweet spot, size wise for that ski.

Hope that's not too confusing. If I had to pick one, for where I ski and what I ski o for terrain most of the time, it would be the i.speed pro.

I'm 5'10", 210 lbs., an older guy but very current and "OK with my skiing."

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
6' 210 lbs old guy who is not quite as "OK with his skiing" as Muleski above. Nonetheless, I'll echo Muleski's comments. I have both the 180 i.Race and 175 i.Race Pro, as well as the Rebel i.Speed in 185. These are exhilarating sport carvers with great precision, fantastic edge hold, and a high speed limit, that work fantastically well for recreational on-piste resort skiing, but they are not true race skis for either Masters or FIS use.

In addition, based on Muleski's prior recommendation, I also recently acquired a 177cm SuperShape i.Speed and finally got to ski it this past weekend; it is now my favorite SuperShape, definitely exceeding the capabilities of the i.Rally or i.Titan. The SS i.Speed is a quick sport carver, reminiscent of a FIS SL, but somewhat less energetic, frentic, and aggressive. The SS i.Speed is closer in feel to the i.Race than the confusingly similarly named Rebel i.Speed, but the SS i.Speed is more relaxed, has a larger sweet spot, and is more tolerant of mistakes than the Rebel i.Race or i.Speed, while lacking the Rebels top end speed and stability. The SS i.Speed also reminds me of my 177cm Stockli SC, but the SS i.Speed while similarly quick, is not quite as refined, smooth, or damp as the SC.

TS
RSTuthill

RSTuthill

Booting up
Skier
You have the same dimensions, and radius shown for both. That’s not accurate.
The information is promotional boilerplate straight from Head. But you are right Head's web site says that i.Race Pro has a shorter turn radius and the info is wrong. Bizarre. Thanks for clearing that up.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Those of us who keep up are shocked, shocked I tell you, to find a ski manufacturer's website or marketing materials might have incorrect information.....not!

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The SS i.Speed is closer in feel to the i.Race than the confusingly similarly named Rebel i.Speed, but the SS i.Speed is more relaxed, has a larger sweet spot, and is more tolerant of mistakes than the Rebel i.Race or i.Speed, while lacking the Rebels top end speed and stability.

:rolleyes::doh:

Why oh why do they do this with their model names?

Speed - Magnum - Rally - Titan
Yellow - Green - Red - Blue

A model of clarity for consumers. If they have people smart enough to come up with that progression, why the complete mess of terminology elsewhere? Head is not the only Austrian mfr. guilty of this. Fischer is, if anything, worse.

(I have this on my mind today because I REALLY needed my very sharp SL skis and did not have them. "Good for you." I guess. Sort of. Nah. Nevermind. It just sucked.)

TS
RSTuthill

RSTuthill

Booting up
Skier
Those of us who keep up are shocked, shocked I tell you, to find a ski manufacturer's website or marketing materials might have incorrect information.....not!
Thanks for your input. Not sure what purpose is served by adding in a little snark, but that's OK. We all have to burnish our reputations at one time or another. Hope it works out for you.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for your input. Not sure what purpose is served by adding in a little snark, but that's OK. We all have to burnish our reputations at one time or another. Hope it works out for you.

I read it as impatience with the mfrs.' own lack of attention to detail when documenting their own products.

Reactions: NE1

Don'tfit

Putting on skis
Skier
iRace is a fantastic ski if you are after shorter radius turns. Way more fun than the supershape series. Have both in the iTitan and iRace. The iRace is off the radar for most but is by far a superior ski.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
The difference in capability between the SS i.Speed and Rebel i.Race in much narrower than the gap between the Rebel i.Race and the other SuperShapes, including the i.Titan....

TS
RSTuthill

RSTuthill

Booting up
Skier
I read it as impatience with the mfrs.' own lack of attention to detail when documenting their own products.
Well, that may be a point. You know, I think it is time the ski manufacturers started letting their engineers write their promotional stuff and actually put some technical stuff in there that means something. As it stands now the sales guys are fluffing and puffing up the product and they have no clue what they are talking about. It is an insult to the customer. But that'll be the day that they let the engineers get anywhere near the promos.

Reactions: NE1

Sponsor

Staff online