• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Are Team Event. Among the Missing?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Surprised that nobody posted about this, or mentioned it.

The Swiss won, beating the Austrians. The “Petit Final” was Germany vs. Italy. Italians won the bronze. There were 16 teams competing.

The USST did not enter a team. Nor did the Canadians. I’m not a huge fan of the event, but it’s on the schedule, and it’s a bit of a low point to not have the USST in it.
Shows how lean our tech ranks are. Still, might have been fun for our younger skiers, IMO.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Think I found it! Short version

Long version (youtube offers captions and autotranslate for those of us who need it)

Last edited:
TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
I was thinking that some might have thought it was a shame that the USST didn’t even enter a team. We have injured athletes, “stars” who probably would not ski in it, no men’s SL team. Two women other than MS skiing SL, etc.
I had thought a team of the younger skiers who are at the World Champs might have been a good thing. We need to climb out of the crater......

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I had thought a team of the younger skiers who are at the World Champs might have been a good thing.
We did that, at least on men side and you really don't want to know reaction on public forums over here. Like it's bloody f*** end of the world when Slovakia eliminated us in quarterfinals. Why are we sending those tourists for paid holidays in Sweden, what did they do until now to deserve to be there and whole bunch of shi**t like that.
Personally I agree it was good decision to enter. And also it's good decision to keep Hadalin and Kranjec out of this race and to concentrate on GS and SL. But if you have young kids, even without any (decent) result in WC, send them in and let them race. Get some experience, make them even more motivated for future. Why not. Paying those few euros for plane ticket and hotel is really such big deal?

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
Surprised that nobody posted about this, or mentioned it.

The Swiss won, beating the Austrians. The “Petit Final” was Germany vs. Italy. Italians won the bronze. There were 16 teams competing.

The USST did not enter a team. Nor did the Canadians. I’m not a huge fan of the event, but it’s on the schedule, and it’s a bit of a low point to not have the USST in it.
Shows how lean our tech ranks are. Still, might have been fun for our younger skiers, IMO.

Agree with just about everything that you and Primoz said. Note that the Canadians did field a team for the event with about the best they could offer even though it was unlikely they would go very far.

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
Thanks, @QueueCT, for clarifying that.

I was under the wrong impression. Had thought that the Canadians had not entered. Just re-read a text and it said “even CAST put together a team.” I think that makes it a bit worse for the USST. Nina, Paula, BMac, River....I think it was a missed opportunity. Oh well, USST has bigger things to work on, and that they are working on......

James

Out There
Instructor
We did that, at least on men side and you really don't want to know reaction on public forums over here. Like it's bloody f*** end of the world when Slovakia eliminated us in quarterfinals.
Geez, harsh! Quarter finals pretty good!
It's not much different here when people sort of pay attention to ski racing. Mikaela only wins bronze, Lindsey "settles" for bronze in the Olympics. What did the Austrians have to say about Veith losing gold by 1-2/100ths, to a snowboarder?

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sweden gave the Swiss a run for their money in the 1/4:s. Hargin and Frida won their matches and ASL looked like she was getting a Hold ... on Holdener then straddled. Muhrer couldn’t touch Ramon but nobody could that day. A pity that Sweden and Switzerland met that early in the competition. That is two podium teams inmo.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Why wouldn't they just enter younger skiers? What's the downside? Why not use it as training?
The mindset of the USSA is likely that they aren’t “Best in the World” , don’t stand a chance of winning, thus it’s not worth it.
This is an organization who won’t support the second fastest American female tech skier. I’m not expecting any rational decisions from them any time soon.

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
Yep, plenty of challenges. You'd think that Paula, Nina, Brian Mac, and if they had cared ONE SL skier could have made up a fun team. Of course Paula and Brian are second class citizens right now. Paula ranked 24th in the world in SL, Brian ranked 31st in GS.
"Rational" is an apt descriptor.

Just keep filing this one away. "River Radamus is THE future of the USST." And watch how he is managed, handled, treated and how many resources go his way. Project 26 in action.

I don't believe that we are going to have a single male skier in the SL at Are.

Unfortunate. for sure. As I have said, It's cratered, and I hope we're climbing out of it.

I was a bit upset hearing RCS being interviewed today. He was great, the class act, direct and honest guy that he is. Zero excuses. What I picked up on was his comment that "we tend to train turney courses, not like that course today." That seems just odd.....because most mens GS is a fast drag race these days. A lot of fall line. When RCS says he was uncomfortable with the speed, because they had not trained it....UGH.

The place needs a housecleaning, IMO, last spring and did not get it. Same old, same old. Same old faces.

James

Out There
Instructor
Paula Moltzan could've thrown down in the team event.
The whole thing is mind boggling. It's unreproduceable training to race at a World Championship!

Hell, Lindsey Vonn says meeting Picabo Street in a ski shop, when Vonn was 10, changed her life. You'd think actually racing with the highest level people might have some effect on those getting started.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Experience at the highest level is priceless. Absolutely irreplaceable. No amount of gate training or free skiing can compare.
That the USST leadership can not grasp this fundamental truth is quite revealing.
If you want to raise tomorrow’s champions you have to allow them to make their “mistakes”in today’s championships. It’s pretty simple.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And Swede Tobias Hedström won the Combined gold—which is timely considered it’s soon an extinct event :eek: But still :yahoo:

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
Sorry for missinformation. I saw post from Sasha and somehow I glanced through in understood they won. Sorry guys :)

No apologies! Glad that Sasha has a few things to celebrate. He has some good kids.

Sponsor

Staff online