• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Are retraction turns in powder hard to do?

Skisailor

Laziest Skier on the Mountain
Skier
Hi @LiquidFeet ! :)

Will have to get back to you as your long post will require almost a line by line response. But as an example, you said

“your #1. Extend/lengthen/straighten both legs at the same time. Skier will be tall between turns standing on two long legs.”

We are not connecting on certain aspects of these ideas. Yes. Both legs extend. As in, both are longER than they were before the release. But it doesn’t necessarily mean the skier is “tall”. Only tallER. The magnitude of these moves will depend on many factors. But yes. This is the age-old up unweighting move that many of us learned years ago and that I would say is still the most common move for the average recreational skier. Also - absolutely no on “skier will be tall between turns”. In a typical extension turn, the legs lengthen to create the edge release then the skier generally sinks down ((flexes) as the turn develops. It’s easy to see because the head (also watch the pelvis) rises at initiation and then gets lower during the turn.

In a long leg/ short leg initiation, the new outside leg lengthens at the same time that the new inside leg shortens to effect the edge release. The head stays level throughout. It’s my understanding that Alberto Tomba was one of the first to popularize this method of turn initiation.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Did you notice how much effort those three put into every turn? Compare the turns of those to the effortless motion displayed by Alf Engen.

Retraction vs extension?

Like I’ve been saying, these skis we have, it’s just plain cheating :)
I particularly like those extension turns at 2:07 and 3:15. :popcorn:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
No. :). But, since there’s a discussion about the variants of extension and retraction, I figured I’d put up one that clearly shows a high performance Mode 1. It would be cool to see side by side high performance versions of each variant

OK. Let's do it! But this is a case of thread drift.

Bendu

Sock Puppet
Pass Pulled
Like I’ve been saying, these skis we have, it’s just plain cheating :)

I particularly like those extension turns at 2:07 and 3:15. :popcorn:

not really, most people still can not ski powder.

Also why is video that is from before modern skis even relevant. Its kind of like who cares. We dont ski that gear anymore and why would anyone want to.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Also why is video that is from before modern skis even relevant
Just saying that high performance powder skiing can be done with extension turns. The second video shows what can be done with such turns and more modern (cheater) gear. Whatever way, skiing powder is a blast.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
not really, most people still can not ski powder.

Also why is video that is from before modern skis even relevant. Its kind of like who cares. We dont ski that gear anymore and why would anyone want to.

Why would anyone want to? Well, One reason I can think of is to have the experience those skiers in the videos are having.
The snow doesn't care who gets to ruffle it's feathers. Get out there! You can be the one!
And YES, The feeling is that good!

Sponsor