• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Are marker bindings bad?

beantownace

Booting up
Skier
Hello all,

My kids are on the race team but this is a question for adult skis for me :). I am looking at Nordica Dobermann Spitfire 76 skis and they all come with Xcell 12 Fdt Bindings. I have been told I believe in the past that Marker bindings are dangerous with release and was curious with the marker bindings these days if better and if those Xcell bindings are any good. Also curious about thoughts on the ski itself seems like a good ski.

Thanks

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Marker had somewhat of a reputation for pre releasing late 1990s-eary 2000s. One of their touring bindings got recalled in 2017-18. Regular alpine bindings have been fine for the past 10 years..

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

If it's good enough for Hirscher...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hello all,

My kids are on the race team but this is a question for adult skis for me :). I am looking at Nordica Dobermann Spitfire 76 skis and they all come with Xcell 12 Fdt Bindings. I have been told I believe in the past that Marker bindings are dangerous with release and was curious with the marker bindings these days if better and if those Xcell bindings are any good. Also curious about thoughts on the ski itself seems like a good ski.

Thanks
My concern is not with the binding, but if that ski has the XBS system. Between the toe and the heel, the plate will say XBS and there will be a bridge that connects the toe and the heel. This plate is prone to cracking. I forget which year Spitfires had these but some did. If you do have them, check the plate for cracks, if it is a different plate, you will be good to go.

TS
B

beantownace

Booting up
Skier
My concern is not with the binding, but if that ski has the XBS system. Between the toe and the heel, the plate will say XBS and there will be a bridge that connects the toe and the heel. This plate is prone to cracking. I forget which year Spitfires had these but some did. If you do have them, check the plate for cracks, if it is a different plate, you will be good to go.
awesome thanks man for the info

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Marker had somewhat of a reputation for pre releasing late 1990s-eary 2000s. One of their touring bindings got recalled in 2017-18. Regular alpine bindings have been fine for the past 10 years..
Other bindings have had problems, Marker few for a long time, to tech folk who work on them regularly or shops that handle warranties, I've been told repeatedly. In terms of dependability and design, their trouble free history, among other things, has propelled them to the top of bindings in terms of sales in this country: something like 75% of all bindings sold are Markers.

I think the problems with the XCells only become noticeable to top racers, not kids or recreational skiers, and are not about dependability, but rather race performance, speed. The XCells do not so much have a reliablility problem as a design problem for the best racers. Most top racers prefer the old Comp race bindings and also the new X Comp bindings over the ones in between, the XCells, which, as I recall, they say don't track as well, for many, because of the four screw toe setup, and how that translates to performance dynamics. (I learned this first from pugski's own ScotSkier, and have been told the same thing by others since.) Not as good a design but not defective. The new X Comp apparently combines the best of the old Comp and the "x" part of the X Cell. (Somebody else would have to explain the "X" part of that, sorry.) As I understand it, the three screw toe can be driven noticeably better, tracks better, and thus is faster and ultimately safer also at high performance levels.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I love Marker bindings and have been using them for years with great results.

Regarding the specific binding you are inquiring about. Phil nailed it. He is a guru when it comes to those things!

Reactions: BC.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Btw, their history says nothing about the current bindings.

All it says is that their management is not serious about spending enough money on testing true products.

So these problems will probably occur again.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Btw, their history says nothing about the current bindings.

All it says is that their management is not serious about spending enough money on testing true products.

So these problems will probably occur again.
This does not address that arguably the best racer in the world chose to not ski on his sponsor binding to ski on a Marker.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have never had a problem but the opinion of more knowledge skiers indicates that other brands are preferred for about any type of skiing. Still it seems so strange that a purportedly substandard product can be so commonplace. MJ wore Nike so Adidas is junk?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
From what little I actually know, Hirscher made the move to the Marker EPS 30.0 Comp binding and the Marker Piston Plate largely because of the Piston Plate's performance on his skis. And for him, "performance" meant one thing. How his total equipment setup enabled him to ski a SL, or GS {and the occasional SG} course faster than he could on anything else. There have been discussions, and posts here, ad nauseam, that report with some degree of accuracy that almost none of his material was made by Atomic. Including most of his supply of skis {most discussion about his SL skis}. His team probably tested more extensively than anybody, and what was fast was very clear.

The "older" EPS comp bindings, the all metal 16.0, 20.0 and 30.0 are generally considered to be the best match for the piston plate. There is very good reason that they are still used, particularly by men, on the WC, EC, NorAm and NCAA circuits. Though as mentioned above the X Comp is getting good reviews.

My two "kids", now in their thirties were comp'd skiers who raced on the bindings and plates for many years. They were fortunate to work with coaches and techs who really knew Marker bindings well. At first, each season, a number of bindings would not bench test well. Often they would release to one side very differently than the other. They would be sent back and swapped out until they worked. In time, it seemed like what was shipped to the kids might have been tested first, as maybe only one of every eight pairs had an issue.

I think the "pre-release" lore is a complete non factor IF:

1. They bench test so that they release left and right with accurate consistency.
2. The forward pressure is set properly. This is, IMO the cause for most issues. Critical.
3. The boot lugs and soles are routed and planed with near perfect accuracy and precision. If you have too much, or two little toe lug, the bindings will "work", but they will not work for the forces that a Hirsher of relatively high level racer will put on the bindings.

Set up the right way, you will be rock solid in the setup, and yes, if you really need to come out, you will. In a few hundred race runs, I do not recall a pre-release or "throwing a shoe" with my kids. I recall a few pretty scary crashes {DH, SG} when they did come out, as they should have. May have bent the ski first, but they came out.

This has zero to do with x Cell bindings and Marker system bindings.....but might help the Hirscher {and others} choice re: bindings. Then again, what they need, and what we need....different planets.