• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Are DIY Snowplows really a thing?

Is this really a thing

• Yes

• No

• I WISH I lived somewhere this was necessary

• I WISH I lived somewhere it was that easy

• We don't need no stinkin' plows

• It's the new ASMR for YouTubers

• Flawed Poll

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The look more like snow smoothers.

I have seen more DYI for tractors and lawn mowers.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Wouldn't work where I need it at my ski cabin because the snow comes down deep and HEAVY. A car would be overwhelmed. Luckily I have a neighbor with an old Cat with a blade, so I'm good.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
These have got to be engineers with too much time on their hands. Am I right? (Daughter and sister of engineers. My daughter roomed with an engineer for two years in college as well, and her boyfriend's brother is an engineer. We've known a lot of them.)

True story. We mentioned in passing to the daughter's roommate that we needed an alarm for flooding in the basement for when the septic tank was backing up. He instantly started designing a solution, spent real time on it. Turns out you can buy this alarm in Home Depot, $35.

And my reaction to the above was, they don't really get much snow. And the first guy's Forester goes through it, so why does he need to plow, just drive on it. At some point in the season, the banks of snow will be at window level along my drive, even with the guy bringing in the bobcat that has a huge blower on it every once in a while to move it back more. In a normal year, it's hip deep on the sides of the sidewalk by Christmas. We spend $1000-1500 on snow removal every year. Roughly 400 yards of drive, plus shared expenses for the road between our group of houses and the county road. The guy wouldn't even bother plowing that little amount of snow.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
These are good ways to damage your car and accomplish almost nothing.
I can see it if you want to go make a track on flat ground for junior to fat bike on. As long ad the snow is under 6 inches at a time.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I plow with an ATV. My old neighbor had something similar to this for his SUV. It was good for about 3 inches of snow. I used to kid him that he had his own groomer.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I used to kid him that he had his own groomer.

Yeh, just like something Chip might use to set double track at Whitegrass. This is why I am struggling to understand the financial case for these things- it's almost as if there was a cosmetic requirement for a 'plowed' look to the driveway.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So growing up in Northern Alberta we had all sorts of DIY solutions. No Zamboni for the neighborhood ice rink (every neighborhood in Edmonton has at least one outdoor rink) no problem that cannot be fixed with an old sheet of plywood some 2x4's, an old broomstick and some duct tape (ok so this was kid powered but it worked). Pretty much anyone who had grown up on a farm would prefer to build as opposed to buy. So DIY snow plows sure thing but typically on the front not back of your truck
1580578270165.png
1580578295770.png
1580578354674.png
1580578375440.png

Simply put give me some plywood and duct tape and will McGiver the crap out of it :)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another vote for the snowblower with MORE POWER.

I've got that covered. For 1,000 feet, I've got a blower with a 420 cc engine. Larger than my last dirt bike!

So growing up in Northern Alberta we had all sorts of DIY solutions.
Simply put give me some plywood and duct tape and will McGiver the crap out of it :)

I'm thinking you might be a fake Canadian. A true citizen of the Great White North would have referenced Red Green along with duct tape.

Keep your stick on the ice!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
You know my dad used to make his own snow shovels from broken hockey sticks and scraps of plywood. Which seems ridiculous until you actually tried one. Maybe wood plow guys are onto something. Although they may be one bad deck screw away from a hole in the gas tank...

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I've got that covered. For 1,000 feet, I've got a blower with a 420 cc engine. Larger than my last dirt bike!

I'm thinking you might be a fake Canadian. A true citizen of the Great White North would have referenced Red Green along with duct tape.

Keep your stick on the ice!
I am originally from Alberta, the Texas of the North and am of the age that preferred Eddie Murphy over Red Green. There were some very cold Halloweens trick or treating in my Thriller costume too.

Sponsor

Staff online