• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Are Classic Short Turns Possible on 165cm Atomic Vantage 86 C on moderate to deep slopes?

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm with @Dakine on this one. Really useful move to control speed on the steeps and, when done correctly is not a check turn but an unweighting of the back of the ski to bring it around while engaging the tips to initiate the carve. It feels like a continuous weight shift forward and back as the edges engage over the length of the ski. I'm not nearly as smooth and balanced as the skiers in the video but it's a standard tool in the box for me.

Have to say that their poles look about 10cm too long. My wrists ache just looking at it.

TS
S

skilover

Booting up
Skier
I'm with @Dakine on this one. Really useful move to control speed on the steeps and, when done correctly is not a check turn but an unweighting of the back of the ski to bring it around while engaging the tips to initiate the carve. It feels like a continuous weight shift forward and back as the edges engage over the length of the ski. I'm not nearly as smooth and balanced as the skiers in the video but it's a standard tool in the box for me.

Have to say that their poles look about 10cm too long. My wrists ache just looking at it.

That is exactly what I could see in the video. At late 40s, speed or GS turn is not something I can really enjoy, speed control on steeps in variable conditions is my goal. How to achieve that similar move in the video, what are those effective drills I can exercise step by step to approach that move is my question. Thank you all!

when I release the edge to make next turn on Vantage 86, often time I felt the back was blocked especially the outside ski, so I am thinking if hop required? It was much better though with ski 76mm under the foot.

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
when I release the edge to make next turn on Vantage 86, often time I felt the back was blocked especially the outside ski, so I am thinking if hop required? It was much better though with ski 76mm under the foot.

This is very much in the realm of pilot error.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Don't confuse the special subset with the general variety. There are a lot of variations, e.g. a "check" turn has a sudden hard edge set at the end, but most short radius turns have a rebound off the old outside ski (even if not a hard sudden edge set at the end).

The trick is to get your skis, rotating without trying to rotate them. Shifting weight forward and to the new outside ski along with pulling back the new inside ski and reaching downhill with a pole touch helps with that.

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
...Shifting weight forward and to the new outside ski along with pulling back the new inside ski and reaching downhill with a pole touch helps with that.
While I don't actively pull the outside ski back, I agree that there's a very strong weight shift forward which I drive with an exaggerated pole touch. When I'm in rhythm I can feel my weight transition from the balls of my feet to my heel during the turn then shift back up front with that pole touch.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
so I am thinking if hop required?

There are certain circumstances where hopping may be useful.
BNXz6N.gif

And for certain body types.
ZYG50R.gif

For everything else...

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January