• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arc teryx Atom AR- Arc Nuclei FL Warmth factor?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I am lookin for a warm but breathable layer. I wear a 60 gram Rab Alpha as my almost daily mid over 1 or 2 base layers for temps to about 10* but I want something for colder days or when its storming, no sun strong winds temps below 10. I was considering the Atom Ar and wearing it with just a base layer. Anyone have experience? my concern is the breathability

the other is the Arc'teryx Nuclei FL Jacket - https://www.backcountry.com/arc-teryx-nuclei-fl-jacket-mens

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Same here. I was just not sure about it breathing The nuclei FL just came out. Not exactly sure about it. Arc Teryx rates the two as layering 3-4 levels but there’s a big difference in the coreloft, the atom with 120 the nuclei with 65.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Atom is warmer of the two, and also has a regular fit (vs trim on the Nuclei). As you mentioned, the Nuclei is also a 65g/m2 jacket vs 60 in your Rab, and while the Nuclei has another inner layer of fabric that the Rab Alpha 60 doesn't, it's really not vastly different from it. If I were stacking Rab & Arc's line plans against each other, they'd be the competitive jackets.

The Coreloft in the Atom is mapped, so it's 120/80/60, designed to make it 120 in most places, but lighter on the under side of the sleeves and the hood.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am lookin for a warm but breathable layer. I wear a 60 gram Rab Alpha as my almost daily mid over 1 or 2 base layers for temps to about 10* but I want something for colder days or when its storming, no sun strong winds temps below 10. I was considering the Atom Ar and wearing it with just a base layer. Anyone have experience? my concern is the breathability
The Atom AR is not quite as breathable as the Atom LT but is still pretty good. It has worked well for me as a layer under a shell in cooler temperatures and I am quite picky about breathability. The fit is not as good as their other jackets, sleeves a little short, a regular fit around the waist, trim fit around the chest (comparing here to other Arcteryx jackets). This might have been fixed over the last couple of years, but even despite this, one of the best jackets around. Probably your best bet to avoid switching to an insulated jacket or using more layers.

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I ordered the AR. Thanks All. they are changing it for next season. backcountry plus active junky is like 40% off.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From my own experience Atom AR has the best warmth/weight ratio. It is much better than the LT and also much better than Patagonia and Mountain Hardwear equivalent jackets (need to check the models).
It is really good. I would not say it is very breathable tho.

SS350

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Bringing this back from a few yrs ago - Question for you guys with an Atom AR, what shell are you wearing over it or are you running it as a top layer sometimes?

I have an Alpha AR (L) that is tight in the armpits over the Atom AR (L) unless I open the pit zips on the shell. I have a baggier older raincoat/shell that feels better over the top.

I wouldn't say I have a big chest or lats but i'm wondering if other people experience this. thanks.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
For skiing, I wear a Rush shell over the Atom AR on cold days. Above 15-20F that combo is often too warm for me and I use an Atom LT or a Proton (much more breathable than either Atom) as a midlayer instead.

The Alpha is probably cut a little closer to the body than the ski shells with its alpine/climbing focus. I can barely get the Atom AR under a Beta AR, and I feel like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man when I try. I would have had to size up on the Beta if I wanted to regularly use it with the Atom AR.

Atom AR is also good on its own as long as there isn't precipitation. It has a light DWR, but its not going to stand up to any real rain or snow. Its my all purpose around town jacket.

SS350

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
OK that aligns with what I'm feeling - it's a Stay Puft feeling with the Atom AR underneath. I should try a heavy fleece and see how it feels.
It feels ok over an Atom LT (but still better with the pit zips open).

I'm going to start skiing with the kids this year so I dont have a handle on how warm I will or will not stay with that level of skiing.
When I'm doing laps I know how lightly I can dress down to say 15F but this will be a little different.

I do have a nice lightly insulated ex USST spyder that fits over the Atom AR no problem so that can work too (its just Bulky).
The Atom AR I end up using down at the beach on walks with the kids mid winter

I've obviously overthought this... I should spend more time planning out where in NH I should take the kids to learn to ski, vs how i'm layering.