• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
. Through out the Basin's entire season the area was open to every employee of Beaver Creek, Vail, Breck & Keystone on a pass.

Fact check. VR Employees DO have pay when the other I-70 properties are closed. It's something nominal ($10 maybe?), but it's not free, and I've heard plenty of griping about it.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So... with A-basin gone, does that mean Vail can partner with and/or buy more resorts now in CO? I'm not familiar with the specifics of the prior ruling...

I don't think they can buy more resorts without more antitrust litigation. They can partner with whomever they wish though. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there.

No, they wouldn't be able to buy anything else in the FR. Abasin was sold off then became a partner because of antitrust concerns. However, that doesn't necessarily affect what they do elsewhere in Colorado. I suppose they could partner with a different FR ski area but those options are few. I can't see Powdr partnering with them for Copper/Eldora so the only others are Loveland and Ski Cooper. Ski Cooper is too small and I can't imagine Loveland going there, not after watching what it did to both Eldora and Abasin.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting. I would expect it to go up some but was thinking more like Loveland pricing or maybe a bit higher than double. I think the locals that have long purchased the Abasin only pass would be really angry at that significant an increase.

True ... I just looked at the season pass price, and it's up to $399, which I didn't realize. I've been getting the Double Down for the last few go-rounds, which made my yearly price $260 or less. I would think something in the $500-$550 range is feasible. But ... I don't know all the details.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
$499 with plenty of bonus days is my bet. $450 if you're a renewing A-Basin passholder (so only a $50 increase compared to current rates.)

This is a touch above Loveland but still under basic Epic or Ikon pass (besides the Keystone plus).

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I miss the days when you could buy next year's season pass in the spring and ski the rest of the current season for free or just a slight upcharge.

I miss the $149 Bonus Pass, where you got the full ABasin pass, plus five days at the Vail resorts. Ok, that was a while back, but still....

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Got my double down pass this year for 550 so 275 per season. I won't have to decide what to do next year but I'm their loyal customer and this just makes it much more likely I'll remain that way!

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't think that the Luv + Abasin relationship would look anything like the Abasin + Vail relationship. Vail saw Abasin as a way to extend their season on both ends without dealing with the operations costs (snowmaking + staffing) of doing so at one of their big resorts. That was a huge sale point for epic passes: ski Oct - June. In return, ABasin got a lot of cash from skier visits (in both ticket sharing and food/bev.)

The advantage for Abasin / Luv teaming up is simply making each of their own seasons passes a bit more attractive. I don't think we're going to see an unlimited abasin + unlimited luv pass, but I could see an abasin pass with 3 loveland days and vice versa. This is intriguing to a huge number of Front Range skiers who can make a good season out of one home mountain, 3 days at another "local" mountain, and a few long weekends somewhere else covered on their pass like Taos, Monarch, Sunlight, Wolf Creek, etc.

I actually like the number 4 which covers 2 weekends.(Saturday//Sunday) In the 3 years I've had Max and now Ikon I have yet to get 5 anywhere but have gotten 4 at a bunch and had some really fun weekends. Would certainly enjoy weekending at any on your list above.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
No chance there are more ikon passes in the front range than epic. It's not even close. 50% of the people in my office don't even know what an ikon pass is. I live in Summit County and have met quite a few locals that don't know what is.

I find that amazing. Same here but I'm stuck in KY :nono:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
True ... I just looked at the season pass price, and it's up to $399, which I didn't realize. I've been getting the Double Down for the last few go-rounds, which made my yearly price $260 or less. I would think something in the $500-$550 range is feasible. But ... I don't know all the details.

Yeah, I've done the Double Down a time or two as well. I'm really debating what to do right now. I expect that given the season thus far that I'll manage to get a few days in there in May/June once classes are out so do I do a DD now for $599 and hedge bets for next season where again I'll be limited in my available days or do I do a 3 pack and hope they offer similar 3 or 4 packs next season. Sigh.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I find that amazing. Same here but I'm stuck in KY :nono:
Vail/Breck OWN the front range. People look at me like I have 4 heads when I say I don't have an epic pass and even worse when I tell them I buy an Abasin pass that's only good at Abasin.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
$499 with plenty of bonus days is my bet. $450 if you're a renewing A-Basin passholder (so only a $50 increase compared to current rates.)

This is a touch above Loveland but still under basic Epic or Ikon pass (besides the Keystone plus).

I think that’s too expensive unless it has serious days elsewhere - enough to make it a single pass option.

I paid $389 for Loveland this year and sub $400 feels right for both places, ignoring market level inflation.

I see Loveland getting hurt by any local partnership. And by “hurt” I don’t mean overcrowding, because that isn’t possible due to their hugely limited parking, but rather hurt means affecting long standing loyal passholders who are used to showing up somewhat leisurely and get turned away for ‘occasionals’.

And then the vibe shifts to a different type of skier and...we’ve heard this story before. That has already started to happen just a bit this season with an influx of presumably disaffected Ikon resort people. You risk not getting parking at Luv on weekdays now - that’s unheard of in prior years.

A-Basin has serious damage control to do. Loveland is by far the least crabby place to ski on the Front Range that I have skied. It doesn’t seem like that much of a big deal until you add up days.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I see Loveland getting hurt by any local partnership. And by “hurt” I don’t mean overcrowding, because that isn’t possible due to their hugely limited parking, but rather hurt means affecting long standing loyal passholders who are used to showing up somewhat leisurely and get turned away for ‘occasionals’.

And here is the source of all my bitterness. :P

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Jmo but an Abasin pass is worth significantly more to me than a Loveland pass....ymmv

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I think that’s too expensive unless it has serious days elsewhere - enough to make it a single pass option.

I paid $389 for Loveland this year and sub $400 feels right for both places, ignoring market level inflation.

And then the vibe shifts to a different type of skier and...we’ve heard this story before. That has already started to happen just a bit this season with an influx of presumably disaffected Ikon resort people. You risk not getting parking at Luv on weekdays now - that’s unheard of in prior years.

A-Basin has serious damage control to do. Loveland is by far the least crabby place to ski on the Front Range that I have skied. It doesn’t seem like that much of a big deal until you add up days.

You must've gotten a pass last year for this year...because Loveland renewal rate this year was $439. For new passholders it was $459.

I think Abasin has a fine line to walk pricing their pass. Need to price it just right to make enough money, but not so low that they have the same problem they have now.

To people who live in Summit or have a place up there, Abasin is a good bit more valuable than Loveland. Loveland value is probably about even with Abasin to people who have to commute: less terrain overall but easier to get to.

I imagine we will see a diversity of pass products from Abasin. A midweek pass for Summit locals @ $300ish, a normal pass in the 500ish range, and a premium pass at $7-800 which includes a spot in the Early Riser lot.