• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not sure what the number is, but I'll find out.
be funny they limit it to a number equal to or greater than last year. heck, I bit on the IKON (damn Devil) this year (not last) with 4 Base passes, seems hearing lots of other first time buyers this year too.

Limited may simply be like other tactics .. buy early so they have better feel. My local car dealership has limited time offers every month ... ogsmile

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
There's an awful lot of premature grousing and hard feelings here for a hypothetical.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
September 1: http://www.indyskipass.com/
They're up to 20 ski areas, but still no word about A-Basin or anywhere else in Colorado!

Combine that ($200) with a Loveland Pass ($439) and you have limited access to about 50 mountains (7 in CO) including some seriously dirtbag friendly ones, for less than the current IKON Base cost. A-Basin would fit nicely into that mix. Maybe down the road a few seasons....a dirtbag skier can hope can't he?

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I admit I don't keep up with the latest on A Basin but I thought that either the Post, or 5280, or maybe the Denver Business Journal said A Basin was negotiating with Mountain Collective and Powder Alliance? I guess the number 7 does make it seem like Ikon might be in the mix but could it be a combination of days from two partnerships?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I admit I don't keep up with the latest on A Basin but I thought that either the Post, or 5280, or maybe the Denver Business Journal said A Basin was negotiating with Mountain Collective and Powder Alliance? I guess the number 7 does make it seem like Ikon might be in the mix but could it be a combination of days from two partnerships?

What combo of two partnerships gives 7 days? MC is 2 and PA is 3 so that combo doesn't work.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
What combo of two partnerships gives 7 days? MC is 2 and PA is 3 so that combo doesn't work.

And even then you'd need to buy two passes -- so that doesn't fit the statement of "only pass (singular) that will provide 8 or more days of skiing at Abasin".

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
"But Henceroth indicated that any resulting partnership would give users, at most, seven days access to the resort."

"He did confirm that the resort is negotiating with Mountain Collective, which gives two-day access to 17 ski resorts. Other pass options include the Powder Alliance, which includes Loveland Ski Area and Monarch Mountain."

While talking about the unlimited access only with their pass he also mentions "Hopefully we’ll have some other bonus days we can mix and match a few other things.”

source: Kate Tracy, BusinessDen

So while there seems to be focus on 7 days and possibly Ikon, based on this article, it sounds like he is exploring all kinds of options

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Makes sense to hold the ikon possibility as a bargaining chip when negotiating with other groups. So the 7 day comment may have been to hold the option without having to walk back what he wrote.

Or the ikon possibility could become an actuality after all.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So another piece of probably irrelevant information. I skied Abasin yesterday but don't have a pass there so I went to buy a ticket using their deal for passholders for other resorts and showed them my Ikon Pass. She scanned it then asked my birthday (which confused me because yesterday was my birthday) but then used the info to verify that it was actually me. I'm pretty sure I look like the picture but whatever. Anyhow, I was a bit stunned that they had access to my private information that should be store in a different corporations systems to do that verification. I'll be following up on that side of things since it's a privacy issue. Then it dawned on me that perhaps they've been able to tie into Alterra's system because they are joining Ikon next year? Totally speculation but interesting nonetheless.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
So another piece of probably irrelevant information. I skied Abasin yesterday but don't have a pass there so I went to buy a ticket using their deal for passholders for other resorts and showed them my Ikon Pass. She scanned it then asked my birthday (which confused me because yesterday was my birthday) but then used the info to verify that it was actually me. I'm pretty sure I look like the picture but whatever. Anyhow, I was a bit stunned that they had access to my private information that should be store in a different corporations systems to do that verification. I'll be following up on that side of things since it's a privacy issue. Then it dawned on me that perhaps they've been able to tie into Alterra's system because they are joining Ikon next year? Totally speculation but interesting nonetheless.

Have you had Epic or A Basin in the past?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That's a good point although they actually scanned the barcode of my Ikon pass rather than typing in my name to a search.

Yikes.

I wish I felt the sense of rage about privacy violation these days that I once did. It's just the air we breathe now =/

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yikes.

I wish I felt the sense of rage about privacy violation these days that I once did. It's just the air we breathe now =/

On the other hand as I see what laws are going into place they worry me more and more. If just anyone can ping Alterra's systems and get personal data they are going to have an issue with CCPA in California.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
On the other hand as I see what laws are going into place they worry me more and more. If just anyone can ping Alterra's systems and get personal data they are going to have an issue with CCPA in California.

That's good, though, right? The laws can rein them in?

Sponsor

Staff online