• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Or photoshop. I’m trying to figure out what lift at A-Basin has symbols for extreme terrain, freestyle terrain, and no skiing (?).

The only lift where I recall seeing a message board like that is Lenawee.

But my gut sez this is real and it’s 7 days on ikon like we’ve been speculating. Would be a fun way to leak it...

That sign is at Pali lift. It was erased when I went up Tuesday. I made mentioned of it and the liftie giggled.

Reactions: nay

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sigh....Oh well...I have to remind myself that A-Basin didn't bail on EPIC to strike a blow against the duopoly or to assert their status as an independent. Rather, they did it because of overcrowding. It was too much to hope for to see them join Powder Alliance or even the (rapidly growing BTW) Indy Pass. Less "La Resistance'" and more "Let's go to Target since Wal Mart is so crowded".

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hypothetically, if I buy an A-basin Pass, then they go Ikon, will they give me my money back on my A-basin Pass if I want?

It sure seems like A-basin should give me a refund if I have an Ikon Pass. What do you all think?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hypothetically, if I buy an A-basin Pass, then they go Ikon, will they give me my money back on my A-basin Pass if I want?

It sure seems like A-basin should give me a refund if I have an Ikon Pass. What do you all think?

Maybe this is how they will be raising money! lol

Sort of the opposite, but I bought next year's Ikon before the announcement that it would be included with the Aspen pass; Ikon is refunding that money. How did other resorts handle it? ie, as Ikon added places (which they did throughout the year), did those places refund passes? Surely there was precedent.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

They will argue they are different products. The Abasin pass gives you unlimited days where as Ikon will be a limited number of days. If you'd bought a 4 pack you might have a better chance. I suspect there will be an announcement in early May if they are going to do it, right after Abasin pass prices go up. They're trying to get as many people to take the gamble and buy the Abasin pass before the announcement.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They're trying to get as many people to take the gamble and buy the Abasin pass before the announcement.
Getting people to buy their pass immediately before devaluing it by adding Ikon doesn't sit well. I expect more of A-basin.

The more I think about it the more I hate the idea of A-basin on Ikon. Even with 5/7 days, I don't believe it will resolve the reasons they left the Epic Pass and many of their core customers heading for the exits.

A-basin, Mary Jane, Copper on the same pass will just be too attractive to front rangers. RMSP was extremely popular with just WP and Copper. 5 days at A-basin will be plenty for most and allow Mary Jane hordes to migrate to A-basin and put us back where we were with A-basin on the Epic Pass.

I love MJ, but there is not enough advanced lift capacity and steep terrain for the demand, and I don't want to see those folks filling the parking lots at A-basin. Copper, fortunately, has the advanced/expert capacity and is adding more with the Tucker lift. Copper also has I-70 and the tunnel as a limiter to front range hordes, which I'm perversely growing to appreciate more and more each year.

Save A-basin and Copper by throwing MJ to the wolves. ;)

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I suspect that is why they published the hint about 7 days. Perhaps they will refund to those that bought before the hint or anyone who asks for it. I haven't a real clue, just surmising. I get why it doesn't sit well but on the other hand, we know that the players are changing constantly and one has to make a decision at some point as to when to pull the trigger.

James

Out There
Instructor
I don't get it. You get unlimited with an Abasin pass and 5-7 with an Ikon we assume. How are they remotely similar that Abasin would reimburse you? For what? Some fraction of Ikon?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
They will argue they are different products. The Abasin pass gives you unlimited days where as Ikon will be a limited number of days. If you'd bought a 4 pack you might have a better chance. I suspect there will be an announcement in early May if they are going to do it, right after Abasin pass prices go up. They're trying to get as many people to take the gamble and buy the Abasin pass before the announcement.

Exactly. I purchased a 4 pack for Copper this season then got a season pass (for free, thx Subaru!) and Copper fully refunded the 4 pack purchase even though I had used one day on the 4 pack.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't get it. You get unlimited with an Abasin pass and 5-7 with an Ikon we assume. How are they remotely similar that Abasin would reimburse you? For what? Some fraction of Ikon?
Few fully use unlimited and break even on an A-basin season pass is only 5ish days, so there are a lot of permutations of annoyed customers. Here are a few off the top of my head:
  • Customers who want an Ikon pass that included A-basin instead of the A-basin pass and will make do with 5 or 7 days at A-basin and ski elsewhere for other days.
  • Customers who will be happy with Ikon pass plus an A-basin four pack for additional days instead of an A-basin season pass.
  • Customers who bought a Winter Park pass and an A-basin pass and would prefer an Ikon pass if it includes A-basin.
  • Customers who bought a Copper Mountain pass and an A-basin and pass would prefer an Ikon pass if it includes A-basin.
That's just to start and doesn't even include the many annoyed four pack customers.

I hope and expect there will be lots of refunding going on if A-basin ends up on Ikon. People will still be aggravated that they didn't know during the best early season pricing.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Had a really nice day at the basin despite parking being jammed. No one was in the Beavers where the snow held up very well. I'm hopeful nay's thinking holds. Maybe we see a basin on MCP?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a vey good day at Mary Jane today, and it was empty. At worst, I waited one chair.
I did talk to a local who said they do still get slammed on powder days, even this late in the year.

I think that whatever A-Basin does will not be that bad, now that they are not the only late-spring option.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree with @tball that the squeeze-people-to-buy-before-they-know-their options is a bit less than honorable. On the other hand, the explicit call out of "more than 7 days" is a pretty good hint that if you plan to ski less than 7 days at ABasin other options might work out better.

And I say that as someone who has bought several A-B passes over the years (mostly spring but not all) and has never skied more than 7 days there in a season.

James

Out There
Instructor
I agree with @tball that the squeeze-people-to-buy-before-they-know-their options is a bit less than honorable. On the other hand, the explicit call out of "more than 7 days" is a pretty good hint that if you plan to ski less than 7 days at ABasin other options might work out better.

And I say that as someone who has bought several A-B passes over the years (mostly spring but not all) and has never skied more than 7 days there in a season.
What will you do this week? Buy a Spring pass?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What will you do this week? Buy a Spring pass?
Dunno.
Depends on how lazy I am. Betrween the WP/MJ days and Betsy's birthday at Loveland, I only have 4 days at ABasin. Last time I looked, I could save about $50 piecing together two 2-of-7 day lift tickets purchased online (one at something like 99 and one at 130, or something like that.). Of course, that was several days ago and those cheapish tickets may be gone. If I did 5 days the spring pass would definitely be the way to go.

Sponsor