Featured Colorado Arapahoe Basin Is NOW a Free Agent

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by jmeb, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Monique

Monique bounceswoosh Skier

Wait, what? They've been packed? I was promised no crowds!

2. coskigirl

coskigirl Making fresh tracks Skier

Even on days that lots are packed the mountain hasn't been all that crowded. They just don't have huge lots like other mountains.

Monique likes this.
  3. Noodler

Noodler Now trading turns for swings... Skier

We lied. LL is packed to the wall every day of the week. :nono:

nay, dbostedo and Monique like this.
  4. MarkP

MarkP Getting off the lift Skier

[QUOTE="... 33.22203% for those who requested exact percentages. [/QUOTE]

Exact?... Hardly

5. Monique

Monique bounceswoosh Skier

I'm just surprised because when I've been at LL in the past, it's been pretty empty. But that was early season, now that I think about it. And fairly early in the day (just before lifts open).

6. dbostedo

dbostedo Asst. Gathermeister-- Jackson Hole 2020 Moderator Team Gathermeister

Last season the day I had at Loveland the lots were full, and I still found empty runs. Today I got here early so I don't know how full the lots are, but is a beautiful Saturday, and I've had several runs to myself.

Now to put on my @Noodler hat... those empty runs were awful! I actually hit an icy bump at one point, and I found a spot where there was some wind crust. Unacceptable! No one should ever come here.

nay likes this.
  7. tball

tball Zipped up Skier

Like everyone it seems, I've been thinking about this a lot. Here's what I'd like to see happen, and I also think this could be one of the better options for A-basin from a business perspective. I come to this as A-basin being my "second" home mountain, with Copper Mountain being my primary home mountain.

Forget the national passes; I'd like to see A-basin and Copper do a straight deal:
    • A-basin Season Pass includes three free days at Copper Mountain.
    • Copper Mountain Season Pass includes three free days at A-basin.
    • Beyond the three days, you can buy additional tickets at an unmatched discounted rate, say 25% of the 4-pack price.
    There are natural synergies between A-basin and Copper. They are nearby each other and attract similar skiers and riders. They both have very attractive new expert terrain with the Beavers open at A-basin this year and a lift going up Tucker Mountain at Copper next year. Note that they both already exchange three days at Taos. A-basin should also consider exchanging three days with Monarch, Purgatory, and Powder Mountain as Copper does. Working together, maybe they could pull off exchanges with Wolf Creek, Sunlight, Powderhorn or others creating a mini Colorado multi-mountain pass.

I think it also makes a lot of sense for A-basin to create and charge top dollar for a Premier Pass substantially mirroring to the Copper Mountain Premier Pass.

The A-basin Premier Pass would look something like this:
    • A-basin Premier Pass includes seven free days at Copper Mountain. (Copper Mountain Premier Pass likewise includes seven free days at A-basin)
    • Beyond the seven days, you can buy additional tickets at an unmatched discounted rate, say 25% of the 4-pack price.
    • A-basin Premier Pass includes BMX access 30 minutes before the lift opens to the public.
    • A-basin Premier Pass allows you to skip lines at all lifts.
    • A-basin Premier Pass includes free parking in the Early Riser lot if you get there 30 minutes before the lifts open, and 50% off parking after that (or whatever parking deal makes sense).
    • A-basin Premier Pass includes one free BBQ platter at BLM and one free beverage of choice, likely a bacon bloody mary. :)
    • A-basin Premier Pass also includes a free demo or lesson or whatever else makes sense.
    Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm thinking of sending these suggestions off to Al and Dustin, the main guys at each area.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019 at 11:39 AM
    nay likes this.
  8. skix

skix Getting on the lift Skier

I like your suggestion for an alliance with Copper. OTOH don't like the line-skipping ability that is a key part of the premier pass idea. I can afford to be that guy but I don't want to be that guy. We're all peers out there now but creating different classes on-mountain would destroy that. ABasin also is using National Forest property so making ability to pay a key feature does not sit right.

9. tball

tball Zipped up Skier

Yeah, I've never been a fan of the line cutting at Copper. It used to be called the "Secret Pass" and now it's becoming the "Premier Pass." I've never done it myself and never needed to as I've previously skied the advanced/expert lifts where there are rarely lines.

Skiing mostly with the kiddos this year, though, I've thought about it as we've waited in full mazes at Timberline way too often. The ship has sailed on line cutting upgrades being legal on forest service land, I believe, as there was a lawsuit or some legal action the early days at Copper that didn't go anywhere.

I can see how the line cutting might not jibe well with the culture at A-basin. Maybe drop it and replace it with additional benefits for A-basin Premier Pass holders that fit better with the area and would be more attractive to dedicated A-basin skiers and riders.

Forget BMX, 30-minute early access on Pali would get me interested shelling out cash. So would being assured I could pull up at 10 am or earlier and get a parking spot in Early Riser.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019 at 12:11 PM
    skix likes this.
  10. nay

nay dirt heel pusher Skier

Avoid Loveland Valley and the base and you’ll be just fine. Half the people there are just for the Clean Subaru Rapture anyway. You’ll see what I mean.

Direct quote from Loveland Patrol: “We have a lot more uphill lift capacity than we have parking.”

People are worried about Loveland becoming a sh$tshow, but it’s not mathematically possible.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019 at 6:26 PM
  11. nay

A-Basin with Copper exchange would be a great pass. Can’t see that happening, but emails are free.

Maybe somebody mentioned this and I missed it, but we just got a big clue from the new Double Down.

@ $798, it’s just two years for double the price. That’s not much of a deal, is it?

Unless it’s price protection for what is coming next year.

tball and Green08 like this.
  12. Green08

Green08 Front Range for the First Time Skier

Early access on Pali would be the least disruptive. Away from bass lodge, not on the main web cam, expert chair reputation, old double...

Packaging 30 min early Pali access with Early Riser parking makes sense. But, also means limiting sales, in order to keep desired spaces for car pooling in the works.

Coolers stand alone Pass does a good job with partnerships. But they have also not teamed up with Loveland. I doubt the reason for not joining with Loveland would be any different than with A-Basin.

Revenue goals are going to be very simple at A-Basin. Get the parking lots full every day. And then extract maximum dollar from every skier. The parking is so limited, they may not need any kindness of major boost to make weekend full. Heavy discounts for midweek seem to be strategy to get those with flexibility to ski Mon-Thursday.

But a Premier Pass could work in future seasons to create extra revenue from weekend skiers.

13. Green08

I think it is price protection from what is coming this year!

Early price is $399 right now. I bet they get aggressive in price hikes before October. $499 by Memorial Day, $599 by August...at some point it will tempt folks even at $899 to jump on it and lock in saving—and A-Basin to lock in multi year revenue and commitments.

Pushing people into a multi-year Pass is actually one way that an independent like A-Basin can try and stabilize cash flow, without the mega multi resort regional advantage.

14. nay

I don’t know about “heavy”. Get the mid-week pass for $100 less if you want to ski only weekdays. Otherwise the window rate will be around $100 (or buy online in advance).

I don’t think anybody has to incentivize weekdays anymore - the incentive is for you not to ski on the weekend. They are basically offering you $100 to have fewer self-inflicted wounds.

The bigger risk is you think you are going to arrive at a leisurely pace on a non-storm Tuesday and you barely get a spot.

I think I’m going to pull the trigger on the mid-week pass. There’s just no way I’m skiing A-Basin over Loveland on a weekend, and I’ll make do with Fridays for the extended season (if it happens).

I suppose an interesting data point in all of this is that this has been a great season everywhere in the west, and overall visits should be up nicely this year. I keep thinking what we have seen this season is the new normal, but I’m not sure that’s true.

Noodler likes this.
  15. nay

You don’t have to double down to early purchase price protect. Just buy in April next year. Why commit $399 now for next season’s pass? Because the early bird price next year isn’t going to be $399.

16. nay

Ok I just bought a mid-week pass.

Now I get to see if I end up spending the $100 savings.

tball, Ken_R, Green08 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Green08

Single resort passes in the Front Range are $370 to $550. A-Basin has plenty of room to make a move up in price.

The Double down alone jumped $200 in just this year based on the $798 figure. Don’t be shocked if the cheapest option next April is $499

18. Ken_R

Ken_R Living the Dream Skier

Thinking about the full pass for the additional resort passes.

A-Basin pass, not likely.
    Epic, still a maybe, for Breck Alpine and Key and CB/Telluride.
    Ikon, still in the running. Crowds have been Epic in WP and Copper it seems though.

Decisions decisions...

19. nay

It has to jump. There is zero logic to the $798 price otherwise, because at $399 that just means you paid full price a year early.

20. nay

I think the pass we need is Loveland + A-Basin spring + Breck Alpine + Crested Butte.

SkiFiore, Coach13, Ken_R and 2 others like this.