• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What will Araphoe Basin do?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I don't see how having a longer season at Breck implies A-basin is going independent. Personally would love to have a destination resort easily accessible from Denver that was still open late season. Maybe VR has seen the $$ Whistler brings in late season and will try to duplicate that in the US. I'm all for that!!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Personally would love to have a destination resort easily accessible from Denver that was still open late season.
Well, now you have it with Breck.

On Ikon, Mary Jane is staying open until the first weekend of May. I think Ikon will have to do more to compete late season if A-basin stays on Epic.

I'm hopefully optimistic Copper will get into the late season game after they rebuild the Solitude mid-mountain lodge this summer. Copper could provide a fantastic late season product running just two lifts, the American Eagle and Xcelerator. If they wanted they'd have the best June skiing on the Xcelerator with downloading on the new Eagle Gondola cars.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maybe this time it's different. But there's a long history of experience saying that paying customers stop showing up in the spring. A-Basin's going to have two new competitors for May customers this year, diluting their potential profits. I don't have a good sense of how dependent A-Basin is on their spring/summer operations, so I'm not sure how a three-way death match in May would affect them. But it would be a mere blip for Vail & Alterra. Which I think is the message that A-Basin is meant to hear from this announcement.

amlemus

Putting on skis
Skier
This makes me want to make another poll, but it would be somewhat complicated so let's just pose the question here.

For those who ski Arapahoe Basin in some capacity, if they went independent how would that change your pass purchase next year assuming no changes to anything other than Epic lossing AB?

For example: my passes this year are Ikon Base Pass and AB Elevation 4 pack. I would likely change my pass purchase next year to Ikon Base Pass + AB season pass, or maybe I'd do Mountain Collective + AB season pass.

Late to the party here. It's my first year with an Epic Pass and A-Basin is by far one of my favorite spots, especially as my skills develop (Beavers is a blast and I dream of being able to do Pali with relative ease). I think I have about 5 days there so far. If they went indie, I'd feel bad if I didn't get an annual pass there in addition to either an Epic or Ikon. It's compact. It's challenging. Can't compete with the Legend.

amlemus

Putting on skis
Skier
View attachment 57578 This was my connection vision. It’s a three staged gondola that connects A-Basin to Loveland Valley and Loveland Valley to Loveland Basin. It would require one pedestrian bridge over the pass road at its summit and one skier bridge on the Loveland side. It also basically follows the pre-existing road corridor and connects all three currently separated areas. This would give two small areas some power against the epic corporate monster (pun absolutely freaking intended).

One could argue that this expansion would cut down on automobile use over the pass, follows an already heavily used and disturbed area, creates a valuable user experience that is European in character as well as creating strength among two privately owned businesses that create a lot of local employment. It’s also using an area that already sees avalanche mitigation work, a win win for everyone really. I think it could be rad. Look the f$ck out Vail.

I don't know why I love this. But I do anyways. Logistics be damned.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just saw on my twitter feed that AB just announced that “parking is now available”. Call me crazy (and I love AB too) but if they have to announce that, they have an issue they need to figure out and soon.

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
I don't know why I love this. But I do anyways. Logistics be damned.

Let’s connect everything from LL to Beaver Creek by gondola and build a massive parking lot in Silverthorne. One pass and you can go to any of the mountains from one location. Also build a train to that parking lot from DIA and Denver.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Let’s connect everything from LL to Beaver Creek by gondola and build a massive parking lot in Silverthorne. One pass and you can go to any of the mountains from one location. Also build a train to that parking lot from DIA and Denver.

That would be cool... although (as I'm sure you know) impractical. Here's one possible gondola path from Silverthorne to BC (hitting Vail along the way) :

upload_2019-2-16_15-21-54.png

It's about 25 miles, or probably almost 2 hours in the gondola.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I just saw on my twitter feed that AB just announced that “parking is now available”.
Last spring @James and I bought ABasin spring passes. One weekend day, as we pulled into the upper lot, we heard one attendant say "last 3" to the other. We turned around, left the lot, and went to Loveland. Nobody goes to ABasin anymore....its too crowded.

James

Out There
Instructor
Last spring @James and I bought ABasin spring passes. One weekend day, as we pulled into the upper lot, we heard one attendant say "last 3" to the other. We turned around, left the lot, and went to Loveland. Nobody goes to ABasin anymore....its too crowded.
And we skied Loveland closing day. Nearly last chair!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

"“We are very proud of how wonderful Arapahoe Basin has become from the unparalleled skiing and riding to the incredible scenery. With diverse ski runs including some of the most intense terrain in North America and a culinary operation that is regularly listed among the top ten in the country, the ski area has developed a very special community that feels like home. In order to continue to build on this spirit and the experience we have created, Arapahoe Basin and Vail Resorts will not be renewing their pass partnership for the 2019/2020 season,” said Arapahoe Basin Chief Operating Officer Alan Henceroth.

A-Basin has seen exceptional growth both in popularity and skier visitation after investing 40 million dollars over the last 15 years. While the mountain still has plenty of room for skiers and riders, the ski area is feeling a pinch on parking and facility space. Due to these constraints, Arapahoe Basin believes its staff can take better care of its guests by separating from Vail Resorts.

“Our focus has always been to provide an extraordinary mountain experience for our guests. With consistent snowfall and one of the nation’s highest and most stunning settings, we offer an environment that is totally unique. From Montezuma Bowl to The Beavers and from Black Mountain Lodge to the 6th Alley Bar and Grill, there are few resorts that can match The Basin’s scenic landscape. Looking forward, we strive to provide ready and easy access for our guests. Our goal is to minimize waiting and crowding and maximize experiences and fun,” said Henceroth.

At this time, there are no new partnerships to announce. In the coming months the ski area will be discussing opportunities with several resorts and resort groups. Skiers and riders that call A-Basin home can feel good knowing the resort will still offer tremendous value and exceptional mountain experiences. These actions are designed to preserve that special culture and vibe people expect when they choose to spend a day at The Basin. The future for Arapahoe Basin is very bright.

Please note that 2018-19 Vail Resorts season passes that are currently valid at A-Basin will continue to be valid for the remainder of the 2018-19 season."

https://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/...d.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
My vote (one of two) for "Independent + multi-resort alliances (see Loveland)" is looking more and more likely....please Al. Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online