• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Apex Boot Question

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
I'm at The Foot Foundation in Aspen. This guys is awesome. The guy went to college and was roommates with Adam Grenier from Maine. Small world.

WaineWong

Booting up
Skier
I came across an ad for these boots and they intrigued me. Growing up my life revolved around skiing, reaching my peak in late 30s. From there it was “downhill”. Now I’m 65 and only ski a few days a year. I no longer own skis just boots, because I have problem feet. My current boots are over 10 years old, they fit (a rare occurrence for me) but are uncomfortable.

While I used to be a mogul/black diamond hound, I now stick to groomed blue. I’m just out of shape, and out of practice.

I’m going skiing at Heavenly in 10 days. I can take my current boots, or rent the Apex boot with the intention to buy it. Which option should I go with?
Be careful with these boots! I bought a pair about three years ago because they made a big deal about how easy there were to slip on and off. Couldn't be further from the truth. They were not so easy to get out of, but especially not easy to "slip" into. Maybe they've made improvements since I bought those boots. Now they just sit in my closet getting dusty while I am very happy with my Nordica Speedmasters.

James

Out There
Instructor
Fun fact. Apex boots are sold at REI.

I’m not advocating abusing REI’s return policy, but my wife looked at a pair and was assured that she could go ski them on the mountain (or any other boot for that matter) and if they didn’t work for her she could just return them within a year as an REI member no questions asked. Even if they were skied in.
Honestly, if going to “try” Apex, that’s the route. However, if his foot is big, he’ll end up with a bsl like 380.
I demoed, err rented, Apex like 10 yrs ago. I lied about the size of my foot, because at that time they upsized you. No, they didn’t measure, I acted like I’d rented before.
I did make it most of the day. They were not comfortable due to the boa wire holding device being directly under the buckle, crushing the foot. There’s movement under the toe, snow fills in there. High end models may fix that issue.
They’re a taco in a burrito stuffed into a hard shell. At least they were then. 3 pieces! (Though the taco just stayed in the burrito) Burrito closure by boa.

OP, see no hope of Apex solving anything other than maybe driving your rental car to the mountain shod in the taco/burrito combo. Hopefully you remembered to bring the shell that attaches to the ski.

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
Honestly, if going to “try” Apex, that’s the route. However, if his foot is big, he’ll end up with a bsl like 380.
I demoed, err rented, Apex like 10 yrs ago. I lied about the size of my foot, because at that time they upsized you. No, they didn’t measure, I acted like I’d rented before.
I did make it most of the day. They were not comfortable due to the boa wire holding device being directly under the buckle, crushing the foot. There’s movement under the toe, snow fills in there. High end models may fix that issue.
They’re a taco in a burrito stuffed into a hard shell. At least they were then. 3 pieces! (Though the taco just stayed in the burrito) Burrito closure by boa.

OP, see no hope of Apex solving anything other than maybe driving your rental car to the mountain shod in the taco/burrito combo. Hopefully you remembered to bring the shell that attaches to the ski.
For a 24.5 size boot they have a BSL of 291mm.

My wife snagged a pair from REI to try out, and her Nordica Promachine 115s have a 285mm BSL. So slightly longer but not ridiculously long.

James

Out There
Instructor
For a 24.5 size boot they have a BSL of 291mm.

My wife snagged a pair from REI to try out, and her Nordica Promachine 115s have a 285mm BSL. So slightly longer but not ridiculously long.
That’s a huge change then.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
I came across an ad for these boots and they intrigued me. Growing up my life revolved around skiing, reaching my peak in late 30s. From there it was “downhill”. Now I’m 65 and only ski a few days a year. I no longer own skis just boots, because I have problem feet. My current boots are over 10 years old, they fit (a rare occurrence for me) but are uncomfortable.

While I used to be a mogul/black diamond hound, I now stick to groomed blue. I’m just out of shape, and out of practice.

I’m going skiing at Heavenly in 10 days. I can take my current boots, or rent the Apex boot with the intention to buy it. Which option should I go with?
My take on the Apex...
  • The shells, even in the newest models are ...big
  • They're not in my experience a better, comfier fits than an equivalent positioned boot from other ranges [ie an apex top model feels as comfortable, or otherwise as any other brand in the same slot]. Translation = not slippers
  • They're different but no easier to enter or exit [foot entry and closure] as other models pitched to the same level of skier
  • Snowfeel under the foot = meh. Tall underfoot and a squishy liner sole sucks life out of it, but...
  • Laterally and rearward flex they are like concrete, very supportive and powerful
  • I work as a coach educator and examiner and in that role they re great. Ski, stop, clipboard out, skeleton off, stand, skeleton on, ski, repeat
  • FWIW I asked a colleague who knows how I ski to observe me in Apex, her observations, no difference. This conducted on a steep, grippy, smooth laterally flat trail where lateral support is @ a premium.
  • I'd deliver a 'full cert' course in them but not attend as a candidate
They're not the boot for people who don't like ski boots, they're not pillow soft. They do have a role, I do use them in anger but not as a daily driver. They're a useful tool for some roles and some skiers but personally I think the easy on/off and comfort aspects are overplayed.

I'd take your own boots and demo @ Heavenly. What do you want from a ski boot... comfort, performance, easy on etc?
Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 23.39.34.png

WaineWong

Booting up
Skier
Be careful with these boots! I bought a pair about three years ago because they made a big deal about how easy there were to slip on and off. Couldn't be further from the truth. They were not so easy to get out of, but especially not easy to "slip" into. Maybe they've made improvements since I bought those boots. Now they just sit in my closet getting dusty while I am very happy with my Nordica Speedmasters.
I'm replying to my own post because I'm embarrassed to say I actually have Dahu and NOT APEX. Sorry APEX!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Any intel on where a pair of Dahu’s can be demoed if the Apex’s don’t work out?
I have none on that.

From their website. https://skidahu.com/pages/ski-boot-test-center

I do have 2 fellow skiers that are using the boot this year. One had it heat molded at a local store. The other didn't think they needed heat molding. He was in pain the first day. After that, he's been happy with them so far.

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
That’s a huge change then.

FWIW the Apexes went back this week to REI for a full refund. My wife’s narrow feet never felt secure/snug in the Apexes. She ended up getting a new custom footbed for her Nordica Promachine 115s which doesn’t cause the same pain/rubbing issues that she experienced with her old custom footbeds.

So if anyone wants a pair of size 25 Apex Blancas; they’re probably showing up on REI’s Resupply storefront soon.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Apex were the worst skiing boot I've ever skied. Comfy enough but basically unsuitable for me. And as others have said clown shoe BSL

Abubob

Booting up
Skier
Rent everything. Skis, boots, poles. Perhaps there's a way to swap equipment if you're not happy with the set up. Then you don't have to worry about packing your gear.

Just Rip It !

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Been Skiing since I was 6

It’s Season 57 for me.....

Currently Thrashing Head Worldcup Rebel FIS SL 165’s

I run them as fast as gravity allows. I ski fast yet gracefully

Read all the reviews on APEX, And have been Amazed at the useless opinions

And rhetoric from the shop “experts” and others

I have five ski days on APEX Anteros. The Best my feet have felt -Ever

Took a day to fully dial in and understand the Capability of the total system

Full seating took a couple of runs with gradual tightening...

Once dialed in they are truly comfortable, and are precise enough to drive my

Head WC Rebel FIS SL’s on the all day Rocket Ride...

It’s Hard to express my Absolute Joy... As good as it gets!

Last edited:

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
all i can add to this is that you have an incredible anatomy, peoples feet do many things but for your foot to collapse in the way you describe sounds like something i should be writing up for a medical text book, unless there is some underlying medical condition that you are not disclosing, if anything most feet get smaller over the day in a ski boot as it is slightly compressive, not saying your foot doesn't do what you describe but you need to get to the bottom of why it does, of all the $$$ you have spent with boot fitters how many of them have actually done more than measure your foot and select a shell, has anyone assessed your foot and ankle biomechanics? it may even be a case of being assessed in the morning, going for a few hours skiing and being assessed again so the fitter can understand this difference that you get

exo skeleton boots aren't a solution, if they fit they fit but they are not as adjustable as a conventional boot, foam injection liners are probably not for you if there is change happening, maybe the answer lies in the nordica HF, but more likely it is with someone actually taking the time to assess what is happening and why. is it fluid build up around the foot, is it ligamentous laxity, is it just due to the current boots not fitting as they should, is it biomechanics and a lack of ankle joint range of motion that throws your foot into this pain over time. what i do know for sure is you can waste a lot of time and money trying every boot style in the store but you don't know what you don't know and until you find the root cause anything else is just guess work and pot luck

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
Thank you. That explains a lot. I have been skiing for over 55 years but lately have been “out of it”. Heck I live in Mexico now. My favorite boot was the Solomon SX91 Equipe (in 1982). It fit well and performed well. I loved that boot so much, I wore it until the liner literally decomposed. Being in my “performance at all cost” phase, I switched to Lange. Amazing control, unfortunately unbearable pain. With the SX91 off the market, I basically went through a variety of boots, boot fitters, custom fit, etc. The boot would either be ok, and I kept it as long as possible, or too painful and I replaced it after a few runs. Eventually I found shops that let me return the boot for another, so I usually ended up with a decent boot. My Solomon Evolution 90 is the last boot I bought about 16 years ago. It’s OK, but after a couple runs, I have to crank them down, then the pain starts, when it gets too bad I loosen them up (and bitch about the lost control). It’s been 16 years so I thought maybe there is something new on the market which is what led me to Apex. From the responses, it seems Apex (or any exoskeleton) is not the answer. Maybe I should try the Nordica HF110 :)
Yes, a proper footbed and the Nordica HF sounds like a good solution for you. (having not seen your feet obviously)

Sponsor

Staff online