• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone thought of Pugski Pass ?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
One thing I do when answering the occasional questionnaire from an area I've been to is mention Pugski as where I heard of or how I ended up at the area. Hoping if the areas become aware maybe someday something like pass will be easier to get. One can hope!

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
One thing I do when answering the occasional questionnaire from an area I've been to is mention Pugski as where I heard of or how I ended up at the area. Hoping if the areas become aware maybe someday something like pass will be easier to get. One can hope!
I do the same.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil, what are the numbers? How many members are there?

Some form of proof of membership would be needed.

With that information it wouldn't be hard to talk to ski area marketing departments and ask for discounts for the tribe members. I could see several of the areas in this region being interested.

It would just be a matter of presenting the idea to ski areas and going for the close. A bunch of us on here have been doing that for years.
There are about 4500 members here but that really isn't the important number. Unique visitors to the site is in the hundreds of thousands. I cannot tell you how many people come up to me and tell me how much they like and read the site and when I ask who they are on the site, they reply..."Oh, I am not member, I just read it." These people are just as important as people who do take the time to join. Now, if there is a way to increase people to sign up and participate, it would be worth looking into.

We do have an affilate program with the MCP, if someone buys the Mountain Collective Pass by using the link on the home page, we do receive a small check.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Damn, OK my next MCP will be bought through that link!

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's probably worth contacting Ikon for next year. I wouldn't object to pay a bit more if it benefited the site.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
We have an IKON group going now. It is a lot of work to maintain it. I spend at least an hour or two every day on it. Sometimes more, answering e-mails and questions, generating and sending codes etc. If you don't have the people up front you have to use your own capital to start a group. It gives $30 discount for new members as all existing members get a discount all ready. I am semi retired so I have time to spend on it.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like the idea of small resort discounts rather than aligning with Ikon.

Or both. The link on the site purchase kickback seems like it would be the simplest to manage for Ikon.

The small resorts might offer x% off window price with a PugCard and ID. PugCard could be an incentive for joining at a certain level. Once that is used and areas track traffic from it, it would be easier to eventually convert to a pass type thing. Maybe?

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You could enlist members to approach their local areas on your behalf...with some training and talking points of course. It would be fun to see the wide variety of local hills represented in this space.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Maybe something through Liftopia? Might be worth reaching out to their affiliate program to see if they’d be willing to offer something.

James

Out There
Instructor
Lift tickets seem to make the most sense. Maybe brick and mortar shop relationships. If you do major sponsors then it's a slippery slope to the reviews becoming like Ski Magazine.

Why don't we just label part of the site a ski club, then at least get those club discounts?

Last edited:

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I'm in! Especially if there are a lot of small mom & pop resorts!

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Just a thought but I know that Mountain Collective offers pretty significant discounts to folks with passes and certain resorts. For example my home resort is not a mountain collective resort, but we do get about a pretty good discount if we buy our seasons pass and Mountain Collective pass early. Mountain Collective is run by Liftopia so maybe you can work out a deal there if enough people commit to buying something … I would be down for that :)

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have an Epic Pass. Many of the Pugski get togethers such as at Big Sky are at places not on my Epic Military Veterans Pass. I would be very interested in some sort of a Pugski pass or discount so my wife and I could attend some of these.

TS
Goran M.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
First European multi-resort ski pass went on sale yesterday !

Priced at around $450 (€395) it offers up to 10 days of skiing at small(er) ski areas in 9 countries throughout Europe.

https://snowpass.com/en/10-ski-resorts

That is what I had in mind when thinking about possible "Pugski Pass": collection of small ski areas that would greatly appreciate getting some exposure (and few extra visitors)...

FIS kind of endorsed this particular pass, recognizing the importance of vitality of these smaller ski areas:

https://www.fis-ski.com/en/internat...-card-the-first-european-wide-season-ski-pass

BTW, that is up to 10 days at each of the listed resorts.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier

Priced at around $450 (€395) it offers up to 10 days of skiing at small(er) ski areas in 9 countries throughout Europe.

That is what I had in mind when thinking about possible "Pugski Pass": collection of small ski areas that would greatly appreciate getting some exposure (and few extra visitors)...

FIS kind of endorsed this particular pass, recognizing the importance of vitality of these smaller ski areas:

https://www.fis-ski.com/en/internat...-card-the-first-european-wide-season-ski-pass

Thanks for this post. I skied some of the major areas here in the 70s. I also skied a few of the ones listed as included here. If one is able to take a trip or two per year these appear to be a great deal. Air fares are low now. Hotels should not be more than here in the US perhaps even less at the smaller areas. Many of these may be better than a lot of the US East Coast areas. Something to look into.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier

Just looked at the website and the price posted is a lot higher than this.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm thinking the Pugski Pass should benefit worthy-cause ski areas, and give buyers access to those hills in return. Nonprofits and the small hills that are in danger of closing... Cedar Pass and Coppervale CA; Sky Tavern NV; Lake City CO; Cooper Spur OR; Hurricane Ridge and Badger Mountain WA; Little Ski Hill and Bald Mountain ID; Teton Pass and Bear Paw MT. Anywhere run by the local Lions Club or Rotary or Kiwanis. Something like this could maybe have saved Sleeping Giant.