• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone ski the Head Big Joys?

jcat

Booting up
Skier
I may have the opportunity to get these skis, and wondering how anyone has liked them for big mountain skiing in the west. Thanks!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I may have the opportunity to get these skis, and wondering how anyone has liked them for big mountain skiing in the west. Thanks!

Great powder ski. Quick turning, light, tracks well... ski it at least head height if you have decent skill sets or are a heavier intermediate. Given that Head has discontinued them, they're should be some screaming deals around the interwebz. All that said, they're not a daily driver. Yes, I've skied them. Lady Salina's input will be very useful. She's a strong, solid all mountain skier.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mine were good in powder. I struggled with them when it got firmer and faster. They weren't quick enough and the edge authority was missing. If the snow was soft and sticky, they were nice but I retired them after struggling on what should have been fun packed out bumps.

I gave them a good try. I moved my Schizio bindings all over the place looking for a sweet spot. I am a fan of light skis so I really wanted to like them. Sigh.

They were good enough that I haven't scavenged the bindings form them - yet. Planning to get Praxis Backcountrys for that mission so I might need the bindings.

Eric

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes. I really liked them in light deep snow. They don't have a ton of rocker so they may(emphasis on may) be a little more work in heavier powder, but they work amazingly well as a hard charging, crud busting or light powder ski.

Days that I skied them were:
One day in spring conditions here in Tahoe
One champagne powder day at Snowbird.

I don't think Head sold many of those skis, which is too bad because it is a great ski.

TS
jcat

jcat

Booting up
Skier
Haha...Ok, I'll do my best! Thanks everyone.

So, they might be less fun than, say, the Salomon QST 106? Or the Atomic Backland 109? Or the Atris Birdie? Due to lack of rocker? I haven't looked at their construction, just the comparison in width/length to these others...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Haha...Ok, I'll do my best! Thanks everyone.

So, they might be less fun than, say, the Salomon QST 106? Or the Atomic Backland 109? Or the Atris Birdie? Due to lack of rocker? I haven't looked at their construction, just the comparison in width/length to these others...
completely different feel.
Of the three I think the Atomic Backland 109 is the most versatile.
The Salomon QST is a little more damp
The Head Big Joy is light and will charge, blow away the crud, but it takes a skier who is ready to be in the driving seat.
Of these three, I'd get the Backland 109, or add the Head KORE 105 and Blizzard Sheeva 11 to the mix.

TS
jcat

jcat

Booting up
Skier
Thanks so much! I guess it comes down to my skiing them, now...

I hesitate to add this ski (another one I was offered for a great price, due to my Atomics not getting warrantied...):

Rossignol Soul 7 104 (2017). Never skied the Soul line, hear they're great in pow but meh on hardback (all-rocker, I think?).

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks so much! I guess it comes down to my skiing them, now...

I hesitate to add this ski (another one I was offered for a great price, due to my Atomics not getting warrantied...):

Rossignol Soul 7 104 (2017). Never skied the Soul line, hear they're great in pow but meh on hardback (all-rocker, I think?).
The Rossi has improved over the past few years, so the tail comes through the finish of the turn better than it used to, making its hardback performance a little better, but I still think there are a few other skis out there that are a bit better.
Under the Rossignol group, The Dynastar Legend 106 is a better choice in that width category.

TS
jcat

jcat

Booting up
Skier
Thanks, Tricia! I appreciate your insight!!

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm late to the party lol. But if i could grab a set of the Big Joy at a great price I would purchase them, I did try a friends. I only don't own them as the Great Joy really does it all for me so I didn't see the need to spend on the Big Joy for the times I would want it over the Great Joy. Now if i were still doing Cat Ski guiding I would have the Big Joy. Like the rest of the Joy series it feels light, turns when you ask it too, without turning when you don't ask it to (that's so important lol), and most of all, they are so light when you have to carry them up an incline to get to your powder. That said, if not at a Big Deal, I would still stick with the great joy and this is why I believe they weren't big sellers, there's just not enough powder days in a year when the Great Joy floats me through waist deep powder untouched powder with 98 underfoot at my weight in the 173 length. All that and I can carve them in small turns through bumps and on edge in session. It is a very rare day at Whistler I take any different ski out. This year I took the Atomic S9 out a few times for fun when we had an icy day but most of the year I was on the great joy again and I'm currently looking for a new one to replace my existing (at a deal, instructors just don't make enough to cover all our needed gear). Now I have been told (haven't checked myself) they don't have longer length in the Great Joy I use in the women's and the shop that helps me out at Whistler things I should try the Kore. So I'll have to find a Great Joy from a prior year to get the 173 possible.

Oh and this is a pretty Big Deal
https://www.alpineshopvt.com/head-b...FEgggzo5DtYFne9qZoUKTEQbO-WeW290aAlOkEALw_wcB

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Deals can probably be found for these if any shop has them leftover because they are no longer in the line up.

Sponsor

Staff online