• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone purchase trailmap art from Gnarwalls.com before?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Has anyone bought any trailmap artwork from gnarwalls.com before? How did it turn out
Or any other experiencing /recommendations buying decorative trailmap posters/artwork (e.g. for a gift).
I am aware of James Niehues's official artwork; but looking for the corporate's overlay with the trailnames

OnEdge

Putting on skis
Skier
We have one of their pieces (map on maple) hanging on the wall of our staircase landing in our ski cabin.

It looks great and we get a lot of compliments and inquiries as to where we got it. The maple backing creates a nice, very subtle vintage feel. There is a wooden strip with mounting holes on the back, which unfortunately don't line up to our 16 inch stud measurements - my only suggestion would be for them to include more of those with 8 inches of spacing.

They did not have our local mountain in their database, but were able to add it for us.

Overall very happy, and its a great wall hanging for a mountain home.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
They are a local business (as in, members of my little neighborhood) so I've seen their stuff at a few people's houses. It's nice stuff from what I can tell.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What resort would you get?

TS
raytseng

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What resort would you get?

oh im looking to get a kirkwood for a friend who has a place in kw.
I did notice the variation exists depending on the source material, like their example for northstar looks quite poor for art, but that is a result of the current 19-20 resort pdf deciding to make the terrain art half transparent to make the text pop and highlight the new glades at the expense of the background.

TS
raytseng

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We have one of their pieces (map on maple) hanging on the wall of our staircase landing in our ski cabin.

It looks great and we get a lot of compliments and inquiries as to where we got it. The maple backing creates a nice, very subtle vintage feel. There is a wooden strip with mounting holes on the back, which unfortunately don't line up to our 16 inch stud measurements - my only suggestion would be for them to include more of those with 8 inches of spacing.

They did not have our local mountain in their database, but were able to add it for us.

Overall very happy, and its a great wall hanging for a mountain home.
How heavy was the maple version for which size? I'd imagine you'd have to do a proper job to mount it, and not just a nail with a string?

Even though you might not personally own, anyone have any thought on the canvas vs the rustic maple?
Would the sharp/brightness look overly modern//commercial in a log cabin wood?
I suppose specifically for KW, James did add in some nice clouds at the top and a nice foreground to square up the dimensions, and it's not all just business.

OnEdge

Putting on skis
Skier
Ours measures 32 inches high by 48 wide.

It's lighter than you'd think but is still a substantial piece. We hung it with 2 heavy duly picture hangers tapped into studs behind the drywall, and it was a little bit of a struggle.

Ours was a gift, so we really never considered the canvass. With maple, you get a little wood grain coming through, and the white is a little muted so you have a bit of retro/sepia/weathered look.

It is very cool.

TS
raytseng

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wanted to followup; I finally received my order. I couldn't decide which to get, so I ended up ordering both the canvas and the maple in the "medium" size for Kirkwood!

Both really nice.
The difference are more subtle, and did not have the huge tradeoffs I was worried about. It is more like when you order photos and you were to specify glossy vs matte and not a huge apples v oranges difference.

Some details:
  • Both very clear and readable, worries about the maple being overly dull/rustic or the canvas being overly modern/like a electronic device were relieved.
  • Maple is thinner and will be more flush to the wall, canvas does protrude out more to make it stand out like framed art.
  • Maple weight is obviously going to be more, but not really excessive or requiring heavy engineering to mount. Just estimate what a 1/2 in thick of medium plywood of the dimensions.
  • Both can work in any environment the difference. If your room design supports wood items/textures then go maple, if your room is completely modern/plastic/clinical with everything flat/glossy/sleek; then you'd prefer canvas; but again the differences are more subtle, the maple isn't super rustic, nor is the canvas overly modern.
  • My gift recipient knows exactly the map and that was half why they loved it; if you're giving as a gift make sure they like the resort and your battle is already won.

Additional notes on the order:
  • Very happy on the packing and delivery job, the items are wrapped in brown paper, then corner protectors, then into a fitted cardboard shipping box when it finally arrived via UPS.
  • I ordered after getting an email about a sale. If you are interested, subscribe to their site to get informed when next sale might happen.
  • As stated above, be sure the map they are using is good as art and review it is the one you want (E.g. as above Northstar's current official map overlay is terrible for art/decoration purposes). I think you can talk to them to use a prior map if the current one isn't to your liking.

Sponsor