• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone have a pair of skiboards or skiblades?

Hawk45

Beginner Clydesdale
Skier
Anyone have a pair of skiboards or skiblades? (not snowboards, I'm not going back to that :))

Saw a video on YouTube on these and look like they could be a lot of fun on groomers when you don't feel like charging and just feel like playing around.

Thanks,
Hawk

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I play with mine when it snows in Central NC. Fun on the little neighborhood hills.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Anyone have a pair of skiboards or skiblades? (not snowboards, I'm not going back to that :)

Saw a video on YouTube on these and look like they could be a lot of fun on groomers when you don't feel like charging and just feel like playing around.

Thanks,
Hawk
Check Facebook marketplace and Craig's List. When this season got cut short I was thinking about getting a pair to play around with if it snowed locally and I found a few pairs but never followed up.

TS
Hawk45

Hawk45

Beginner Clydesdale
Skier
I've found a few different kinds, was just wondering what users thought of them.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've found a few different kinds, was just wondering what users thought of them.
I've only tried the old Salomon Ski Blades that are quite small and not too stable. It was similar to roller skating down the mountain. I was looking for something a bit bigger last season.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I also used them to follow my youngsters around with their sleds on snow days. Wherever you ski them, it's great for fore aft awareness and balance drills you won't get on regular gear.

Reactions: Ogg

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I used mine to futz around when my kids were learning, and I was on a pretty flat hill. They're fun on groomers, and you can go fairly fast as long as you keep them on edge. They are terrible in moguls, deep snow or powder, and jumps are very sketchy due to the aforementioned fore/aft balance issues. I never used them unless I was a very short walk to the parking lot to get rid of them and get back on my 'normal' skis.

My blades are an off brand, a bit wider than the Salomon Ski blades. I haven't put them on in at least 10 years since I don't go to the mom'n'pop hills anymore.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I used mine to futz around when my kids were learning, and I was on a pretty flat hill. They're fun on groomers, and you can go fairly fast as long as you keep them on edge. They are terrible in moguls, deep snow or powder, and jumps are very sketchy due to the aforementioned fore/aft balance issues. I never used them unless I was a very short walk to the parking lot to get rid of them and get back on my 'normal' skis.

My blades are an off brand, a bit wider than the Salomon Ski blades. I haven't put them on in at least 10 years since I don't go to the mom'n'pop hill anymore.
I thought they were kind of fun in firm eastern moguls but soft snow was damn near impossible. The mogul technique felt more like running down a flight of stairs than skiing though.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I had a pair...Salomon's...I think they are like 99cm-ish. As everyone has said, they're entertaining for a few runs here and there, but I wouldn't recommend to spend any large amount of time on them...they have limitations.

Mine are now Shot Blades (bindings in tact in case I ever want them back on my feet). Sorry couldn't find any photos of them in action...but mini solo cups fit perfectly in the white rings (two per ski)…

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Absolutely fantastic - if you are a good skater and if your boots are low enough and soft enough.

If you use the same ski boots as for your regular skis, you will be locking yourself out of more than half of what ski blades can do. For example, there is simply no way to scissor properly (one snowblade directly in front of the other) with equal weight on both snowblades in regular ski boots - so of course you will have problems in soft snow and on rough snow.

If you skate well enough to own the scissor skill and the skater crossover skill (where the left foot gets set down to the right or the right foot, and vice versa) there are absolutely no tight trees where you cannot go - unless the snow is completely rotten with tree wells. You can even do spin turns if you like.

THE big problem with snowblades/skiboards is NOT on soft snow. The big problem is that the turning radius is so short that most people have no idea how to ski them on hard snow/ice. They have turning radii down in the 8m range - which generally translates to making ~ 200 turns on a blue slope on a 700foot vertical hill. Nobody has hips flexible enough to keep doing that all day while using traditional ski technique let alone traditional ski boots. So they try to make the turns larger, which skids the edges - and there simply isn't enough edge on one of these to gain meaningful purchase on ice while skidding.

Therefore, for the overwhelming majority of skiboard buyers, they are absolutely horrible on ice. If, however, you are willing to stop using conventional ski parallel turns and actually skate all your turns, they can be more fun than 10 rollercoasters. Big lifters will make a big difference - and so will ankle strength.

They are also the easiest way to own one-foot skiing.

Current quiver: Kneissl Bigfoots | Fischer Radarc Spyder (asymmetrical with Tyrolia lifters) | Gauer (2 pairs, reverse sidecut and reverse camber) | Summit 110s | Rossi Free Venture w. Muller randonee bindings (and skins). Retired: 2 pairs of Salomons like Lauren's (one pair with black bases one pair with blue green bases, neither would take wax well no matter how hard I tried, and would have the most impossible base burn within 3 runs of being ground fresh), Floskis, Elan Freeline. Current skiboard-only boots: Black Diamond Factors in "walk" mode, Koflach Degre climbing boots.

Oh, yeah, I should probably say outright that they are *not* easy to keep well waxed, because the weight is on a significantly smaller running area. Jaw-clamp type ski vises work well; if the tip-and-tail supports are the primary hold-downs it gets annoying the smaller you go. Expect to use much harder wax than you think needed.

Last edited:

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is also the "to binding or not to binding" argument. Some of the blades don't actually have releasable bindings. I've heard instructors say that it doesn't matter because the ski is so short that you can't mess your knee up if you wipe out. That always sounded kind of hinky to me. You're a pretty big dude. Personally, I'd want a pair that had releasable bindings. I bought mine with them.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Absolutely fantastic - if you are a good skater and if your boots are low enough and soft enough.

If you use the same ski boots as for your regular skis, you will be locking yourself out of more than half of what ski blades can do. For example, there is simply no way to scissor properly (one snowblade directly in front of the other) with equal weight on both snowblades in regular ski boots - so of course you will have problems in soft snow and on rough snow.

If you skate well enough to own the scissor skill and the skater crossover skill (where the left foot gets set down to the right or the right foot, and vice versa) there are absolutely no tight trees where you cannot go - unless the snow is completely rotten with tree wells. You can even do spin turns if you like.

THE big problem with snowblades/skiboards is NOT on soft snow. The big problem is that the turning radius is so short that most people have no idea how to ski them on hard snow/ice. They have turning radii down in the 8m range - which generally translates to making ~ 200 turns on a blue slope on a 700foot vertical hill. Nobody has hips flexible enough to keep doing that all day while using traditional ski technique let alone traditional ski boots. So they try to make the turns larger, which skids the edges - and there simply isn't enough edge on one of these to gain meaningful purchase on ice while skidding.

Therefore, for the overwhelming majority of skiboard buyers, they are absolutely horrible on ice. If, however, you are willing to stop using conventional ski parallel turns and actually skate all your turns, they can be more fun than 10 rollercoasters. Big lifters will make a big difference - and so will ankle strength.

They are also the easiest way to own one-foot skiing.

Current quiver: Kneissl Bigfoots | Fischer Radarc Spyder (asymmetrical with Tyrolia lifters) | Gauer (2 pairs, reverse sidecut and reverse camber) | Summit 110s | Rossi Free Venture w. Muller randonee bindings (and skins). Retired: 2 pairs of Salomons like Lauren's (one pair with black bases one pair with blue green bases, neither would take wax well no matter how hard I tried, and would have the most impossible base burn within 3 runs of being ground fresh), Floskis, Elan Freeline. Current skiboard-only boots: Black Diamond Factors in "walk" mode, Koflach Degre climbing boots.

Oh, yeah, I should probably say outright that they are *not* easy to keep well waxed, because the weight is on a significantly smaller running area. Jaw-clamp type ski vises work well; if the tip-and-tail supports are the primary hold-downs it gets annoying the smaller you go. Expect to use much harder wax than you think needed.

Really good information.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
My son and I muck around on 'Big Feet' from time to time. They are about 50-60cm long I suppose? Good fun for exceptionally tight (but slow) radius turns and heli's off moguls :)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My son and I muck around on 'Big Feet' from time to time. They are about 50-60cm long I suppose? Good fun for exceptionally tight (but slow) radius turns and heli's off moguls :)

Big Foots were brilliant for the era. One of the uncredited features was the not-insignificant taper. This makes the big toe edge a lot more accessible to beginners than later, fatter skiboards.

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
i picked up some of the salomon snowblades at a swap last year for 20 bucks. On our little michigan hills they are PURE FUN. Not something you are gonna charge hard with, but they make the small hills feel bigger, and help me go slow enough to have fun with my kids without going mach schnell.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ve tried them and after a run or 2 to get used to the lack of ski behind the boot (don’t get backseat), the are great for drills on edging.

While extremely fun to play with, it is play compared to being on race skis (SL and GS), I prefer the little extra effort in perfecting skiing on the race skis.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I used to have a pair of Canon M7 skiboards. They didn’t have releasable bindings. God, they were fun. I gave them to a friend and am sorry I did. Would be fun to have around here when it snows.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
So what boots do you use?
I still have the Elan psx 113cm skis. Fun for carving arcs.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Big Foots were brilliant for the era. One of the uncredited features was the not-insignificant taper. This makes the big toe edge a lot more accessible to beginners than later, fatter skiboards.
You mean these?
Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 9.49.51 AM.png

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yes. You can see the taper.

Note that 'for the era' qualifier. Those are missing out on at least 10, almost 20 years of binding, riser and flex development. ^That binding unquestionably removes flex from the middle of the ski, the riser isn't tall enough to give good edge on hardpack, and the shovel and tail are only *sort of* balanced in flex once the midsection goes rigid. Those very much show their figln ancestry and are therefore best in spring conditions.

If you're looking for a hardpack set, find one with midpoint riser attachment, at least 30mm of lift. The 99cm length range overall is good because it gives a much larger flex sweet spot than those do.

Sponsor

Staff online