• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone have a Mazda CX-5 AWD?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Too little too late? Looking at the MPG's that are expected, I cannot see it be worth the premium.

I agree. People were begging for this to be released in North America for over 2 years and they finally get around to it.. right on the verge of the SKYACTIV-X platform that will make this diesel a non-starter.

WxGuy

You are what you ski.
Skier
They announced the diesel version of the CX-5 for the 2019 model year.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27172486/2019-mazda-cx-5-diesel-photos-info/

Car and Driver was pretty hard on Mazda and the diesel power plant, maybe deservedly so. They make it sound as if Mazda’s technology can use a few year’s maturation B4 it is worth the premium price.

If they would have rephrased to say “Note that with the 2.2-liter diesel-fed four-cylinder engine( 168 hp , 290 ft-lbs) vs. the gasoline-fueled turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder (250 hp, 310 ft-lbs), the diesel produces 93% of the (max) torque of the gas engine with only 67% of the horse power.” To me, this is the punch line. As they say: horsepower sells cars, torque wins races.”

I wish that the auto industry (and drivers/consumers as well) would embrace the strengths of the diesel and not try so hard to shoe-horn it into customer niches where gas engines just have better performance. Diesels are never going have great 0-60 MPH figures, they are not a hot-rod material, they have a narrow power band.

However a CX-5 with a torquey (say 340 ft-lb) diesel, consumers that will own up to the fact that they really never go more than 85 mph anyway, and a strong 7-speed transmission with manual option would make for a real serious ski car that eats mountain passes. And it would be a great way off-road car. I bet Mazda will make it there in 5 years. But I would not buy one at this point.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Too little too late? Looking at the MPG's that are expected, I cannot see it be worth the premium.

I completely agree. Only 30 MPG on the highway? Really? I don't see them selling many of these at all.

My BMW X1 is rated at 33 MPG on the highway and that's with a 240HP turbo 4 that will do 0-60 in a little over 6 seconds. On long trips at steady interstate speeds I have gotten over 35 MPG. Do admit the diesel will be much better around town in stop-and-go driving where I get about 20 MPG.. .

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
You also need to factor in availability of diesel in the area. With our last VW TDi I had a few situations where diesel was hard to find (pre gas buddy). Some places just don’t have a lot of diesel pumps and in some areas the premium on diesel fuel is quite high ($0.10-0.50/gal) over premium grade gas.

Sponsor

Staff online