• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone flying Drone here? Or any other RC Planes/helicopters?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have a hunch it isn't just accidental collisions the authorities are worried about. These devices can make it very easy for someone with bad intentions to deliver something harmful. If they aren't already, we will very soon see them banned everywhere large crowds gather.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
They already are banned from flying above large crowds with out a Commercial Drone license. You can fly sub 250 grams anywhere you want though.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Actually they can deliver things like small bombs and grenades pretty effectively. That's why the government wants to know and should know about everyone that has the larger capacity ones.

quadcopters have shit payload capacity. and compared to a fixxed wing air craft crappy range as well.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
image-jpeg.8236

I'm waiting for more info on this one.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
If your going to do anything commercial there are new regs that must be followed.

The new regs are actually more liberal than the old regs. If you have a sub 5lb rig flying FPV you can now film commercially with out a commercial pilot's license in most instances. 5lb is a ton of quad copter, and could do most anything a videoograhper would ever want to do. The rig I have been spreadsheeting together is only going to weigh about 1300 grams with gopro+tracking gimbal, and the ability to follow anything at speed from 5 to 60 mph+........before July 1st there was no legal way to fly that thing commercially with out a commercial pilots license, now I all I need is registration(since everything I built is sub 250 grams so far no need for one.) and a Ham radio license to operate the long range FPV gear.(which I already have).

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I got a little one for Christmas. Got some spare batteries for it then wrecked it within about twenty minutes of having a stack of batteries charged and ready to rock. I came to the conclusion that the small ones suck if there is any wind to speak of where you are trying to fly them. Big ones are way better but also require FCC registration, FAA for really big ones I believe.

A bought a replacement copter so I have a working set again.. didn't have to buy the whole set, old radio works with new copter.. but haven't gone back out since testing out the new one to make sure it works. I'd love to have access to a big gymnasium or other large indoor venue to fly the little one I have. Outdoors they just get knocked around too much when the weather isn't ideal.

after spending tons of time flying a sub 60 gram quad copter in my field in winds, and getting my hands on Syma X5c I can honestly say your first quad copter was a crappy first one. The issue with the syma is large for its weight and quite underpowder. Compared to the cheaper hubsan x4 is less powerful and its rate are to low meaning its impossible fight the wind with it., and the auto level is too aggressive.

Also knowing what I know now, building is the way to go if you can swing it because it means you can fix anything that might arise, its also prohibitvely expensive to buy completely built quads. They can cost 2 to 3 time more than building it yourself.

Basically anything over 250 grams to 50lb has to be FAA registered which is not that much of a pain in the ass, and only cost 5 dollars. All radio sytems that are 5.8 ghz are already licensed by the FCC, heck most anything is already license by them. Some first person view stuff is not certified and you need a HAM license to operate it.

60 grams can easily fly fast outside in wind full speed into a wheel barrow which did not damage the quad copter at all.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I really need to get a DVR set up so I can record my video feed.

this my newest micro build and by far my fastest. I am also flying with only the gyro now, and no auto level.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I really need to get a DVR set up so I can record my video feed.

this my newest micro build and by far my fastest. I am also flying with only the gyro now, and no auto level.

I suggest you clean off your screen before you watch this video, I found myself following a speck of dirt for about 15 seconds.

Last edited:
TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
its a UFO!

This why I need to get a way to capture my analog video feed.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
still no ways of capturing the flight footage.....

but I got a new quad.The Holybro Shuriken 180mm Brushless quad. Here it is in perspective to the last quad copter I took a video of the 80mm Spec.

13900211_10155157888278357_7879058934332765145_n.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online