• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
91xhcbGsiIL._SY606_.jpg

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Under armour 4.0 bottom layer cut to capri length is warm enough for me under my speed suit when it is -20F.

I dig the UA 4.0 stuff as well, quite warm. I have an old pair of fleece expedition weight Duofold long undies that are fitted with no real bulk that I cut to 3/4 length that I stuff under the speed suit as well. The thick fleece is nice for the chair ride, much more insulation.

Skiing in Michigan is always cold. Shell pants can't keep up unless it's a bluebird day, we simply don't have the vertical to stay warm. Insulated ski pants are a must. The 3/4 length cut fleece pants are a huge boost. When it's really windy and cold, a merino union suit makes for a toasty day.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
FWIW, I bought the Arc Teryx Axino's up last season and love them. Not for days above 20 really, but For colder days, these pants are amazing. warm yet highly breathable. I just needed something for those windy days. I picked up the SAXX Sub Zero's BTW. Apparently, Saxx doesn't make them anymore but I snagged a pair on clearance.

In Search of Base layer bottoms for cold days

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anti-wind technology may not be the solution. If you're married this could be a circulation problem relating to non-use. The permanent fix for that can be prohibitively expensive. There was a way we dealt with this in our teenage years. Or even today in a drought.

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'd recommend extending the same layering on your upper half.

Great point. I'm also going to use the 'zipper' advice that Ron got above too. Pretty obvious in retrospect but once I have put the bottoms on I don't always think to zipper up or dress the top half. Also explains why my back freezes to the lift chair. Tired of losing skin every time I jump off the lift so this will help.