• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The past few years, lift serviced skiing hasn't done much for me. Riding the lift is fine early season when there is not much natural snow on the ground and snowmaking trails are it. Anyone else getting this way?
Suit yourself (and I agree), but with 10,000 guests on the mountain riding lifts this past Saturday, The minority voice is insignificant.
\
Enjoy what you can, but do not expect a "movement". ;-)

I've got 500 feet through old pine forest at my back door. When the snow is right, I will spend the day cutting trail for myself for just one run.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
No. It's all good, skiing deep untouched snow in the trees, skiing moguls six different ways from sunday, carving high speed 3 g turns on the corduroy, hitting jumps in the trauma park. You just need to get better at it for it to be more enjoyable to you. Maybe getting a hold of the right tools for the job and learning how to use them would help, or maybe not - I don't know how good your are or what you ski:huh:, but it's a possibility. One thing's sure, the better you get at something the more fun it is.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
When the ski areas get too crowded, then I MIGHT take up backcountry skiing. But since retiring and being able to ski on weekdays, I am usually on the chair by myself with several chairs around me empty. And I got to ski figure 8's under the chair at 2:30pm and it was still untracked..... So the areas are not too crowded yet to force me into the back country.
P_20180214_155342_LL.jpg

Attachments

• P_20180214_154410_LL.jpg
    P_20180214_154410_LL.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 10
TS
J

JPM

Booting up
Skier
Many responses regarding riding a lift.
Reread the question
Think Nordic.

Last edited:

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Think Nordic.
I started out nordic. So it’s the reverse for me. I used to only do resort skiing midweek or forced to go with others for social. But I’ve now figured out how to enjoy resort skiing, and the lift is convenient. Like this:
really like the feeling when I get to a remote hike-to corner of a resort far from the madding crowd.

I also don’t feel like “earning” it when the “turns” are breakable crust.
Without man made snow and lifts, there would be ZERO skiing in Arizona this year. Instead we have been skiing on miles of groomed trails since Thanksgiving. Beggars can’t be choosers.
Similarly, in the northeast, I would have no skiing the first half of the season if it wouldn’t be for resort skiing.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm a chairlift gal what can I say. I love the idea of skinning and backcountry skiing however, i'm lazy and the chairlift is the easiest way to get to the top of the mountain. Even though my last name is Hill, I'm only a fan of going down them, not up on foot, too much work.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If I lived in ski country I would be doing a lot more skinning and hiking. As it is and where I am, I am lucky to get a week's worth of xc locally and have to drive about 2.5 hours to access decent back country and that seldom has enough snow.

I love getting out in to the mountains and away from ski areas, but I also live lift served skiing and hope I never have to give that up.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
...Enjoy what you can, but do not expect a "movement". ;-)...

BC skiing will probably never overtake resort skiing in America.

But you'd have to be blind if you live/ski in the West frequently and don't see the explosion of bc users in the past few years as a movement.

Joel

Having fun
Skier
I didn't get into skiing until now because I never had an interest in lift/resort skiing. I tried it once in 1977 or so and never went back. Track XC skiing also didn't grab my interest. I don't recall what I was looking at or doing a few years ago but BC skiing caught my attention. I gave it a shot and liked it. I'm still mostly touring and learning but definitely enjoying it a lot. I look forward to learning more and improving skills each year. Hopefully this is something I can enjoy till I'm no longer breathing.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I do it all ( x-country, backcountry, telemark, Alpine Touring, Lift served telemark, lift served alpine). It's all good. Life's too short to worry about. If your not feeling it, give it a rest, go all BC for a while, come back to the lifts when you're ready.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
I kinda like the lift, but one of the great things about Ski Santa Fe is that you can ride a lift up then legally leave the boundary and enter the back country skiing to a camp ground several miles down from the base on the ski area road, or you can skin up.

If you do so, get a local that knows the route, it’s easy to disappear into the wilderness, ropes are also a good idea...

Check out “The Big Tesuque”

Gettes

Booting up
Skier
Am loving the touring but am definitely a going up for the down type of person, just got into it this year though. I can certainly see how one would find disdain for some resort skiing(especially if you're in Utah where the BC opportunities must be endless).

Last Thursday was a great combo day-10"+ of powder, banged out of work(self-employed), got to the parking lot by 7am, skinned to the summit(I know it's not really BC but whatever) and skied fresh on the way down, had a cup of coffee while waiting for the lift to start spinning, skied fresh until about 3pm(with the other 10 people there until the nooners showed up) then headed for home(2 1/2 hour drive)

I could see myself going more the OP's route especially as my kids get older if they keep enjoying it. I also think it helps that I ski at a small mountain (Black Mountain in NH) and there is never a liftline(seriously) and most everyone is really chill. I HATE waiting in lines.

I just love to ski.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
When the ski areas get too crowded, then I MIGHT take up backcountry skiing. But since retiring and being able to ski on weekdays, I am usually on the chair by myself with several chairs around me empty. And I got to ski figure 8's under the chair at 2:30pm and it was still untracked..... So the areas are not too crowded yet to force me into the back country. View attachment 39639

:eek::eek::eek:

Here in Colorado that absolutely never happens. There are just too many skiers that can ski any day of the week basically anywhere in the state. That line under the lift gets tracked out in one hour or less.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Anyone tired of lift served skiing should hit Hunter this weekend. Apparently the main lift to the top of the mountain has been out of order since the 13th. Oh, and the second way up from mid-mountain is out of order too. Should be a relaxing holiday weekend up there

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 16, 2018 AT 6:54AM
The Weekend Begins!

Good morning skiers and riders! Today we are open with up to 46 trails serviced by 7 lifts. The forecast for today predicts cloudy skies with temperatures dropping into the mid 30’s throughout the day and into the mid 20’s later in the evening. Primary surface conditions are expected to be loose granular on a machine groomed base of 24-36 inches.

Please be advised, due to a mechanical issue, the Kaatskill Flyer will not be operating today. Our lift maintenance crews have been working day and night to get the Kaatskill Flyer up and running as soon as possible. We will continue running a shuttle from our base area to Hunter West as the Zephyr Quad will be spinning for guests looking to make runs down the main face and the west side. Please stay tuned for updates throughout the day.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is why I ski inbounds:

Very Large and Dangerous Avalanche Pattern

Portions of the Vail-Summit and Front Range zones have developed a Deep Persistent Slab avalanche problem. This means you can trigger very large and unsurvivable avalanches even though there are few signs of instability. Specific terrain features need to be avoided to stay safe. This situation will be with us for a while. This video summarizes the current situation.

A skier unintentionally triggered and was carried by an avalanche on Berthoud Pass on February 11, 2018

A solo skier unintentionally triggered and was carried in an avalanche in the area locally known as the Fingers just west of the summit of Berthoud Pass. The avalanche was a soft slab avalanche and occurred on a northwest aspect near treeline. It was small relative to the path, but large enough to bury, injure, or kill a person. It ran within the old snow (SS-ASu-R2-D2-O). You can get more details here.

A snowboarder was caught, carried, and injured in an avalanche near Vail Pass on February 8, 2018.

A backcountry snowboarder was caught and carried in an avalanche on a north through northeast-facing slope of Ptarmigan Hill near Vail Pass at around 2 PM on February 8, 2018. The snowboarder sustained injuries in the avalanche that were serious enough to require medical treatment at a hospital. You can view the full report here.
http://avalanche.state.co.us/

TS
J

JPM

Booting up
Skier
Reread the question.
(Anyone else losing the love for lift serviced skiing?)
Many comments for using a lift.
Think helicopters.
Thinks snowcats.
Think nordic.
Think alpine touring.
Think boot packing.
Is all back country/touring terrain equally avalanche prone?
Think geomorphology (surface).
Think weather. Past predicts future.

Thanks for comments.
Perhaps a thread for "Why You Enjoy Lift Serviced Skiing"

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
This is why I ski inbounds:

Very Large and Dangerous Avalanche Pattern

Portions of the Vail-Summit and Front Range zones have developed a Deep Persistent Slab avalanche problem. This means you can trigger very large and unsurvivable avalanches even though there are few signs of instability. Specific terrain features need to be avoided to stay safe. This situation will be with us for a while. This video summarizes the current situation.

A skier unintentionally triggered and was carried by an avalanche on Berthoud Pass on February 11, 2018

A solo skier unintentionally triggered and was carried in an avalanche in the area locally known as the Fingers just west of the summit of Berthoud Pass. The avalanche was a soft slab avalanche and occurred on a northwest aspect near treeline. It was small relative to the path, but large enough to bury, injure, or kill a person. It ran within the old snow (SS-ASu-R2-D2-O). You can get more details here.

A snowboarder was caught, carried, and injured in an avalanche near Vail Pass on February 8, 2018.

A backcountry snowboarder was caught and carried in an avalanche on a north through northeast-facing slope of Ptarmigan Hill near Vail Pass at around 2 PM on February 8, 2018. The snowboarder sustained injuries in the avalanche that were serious enough to require medical treatment at a hospital. You can view the full report here.
http://avalanche.state.co.us/

To clarify -- you ski inbounds because you want to always be able to ski steep terrain.

When I see the avalanche warning go high, it's not a sign I have to be in the resort. Its a sign I have to choose my terrain carefully. And that is a-okay, because I am happy to ski 20-degree trees in deep pow all day.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
To clarify -- you ski inbounds because you want to always be able to ski steep terrain.

When I see the avalanche warning go high, it's not a sign I have to be in the resort. Its a sign I have to choose my terrain carefully. And that is a-okay, because I am happy to ski 20-degree trees in deep pow all day.

this ^^^

I will basically avoid all steep slopes, no matter how small, until late spring. Not worth it. At least this year the snowpack is junk. Specially near and around Vail Pass and west. Just probing the snow in the Beaver Creek backcountry a few weeks ago it was obvious it was junk and hollow. 4 feet of it above 11k ft. To the ground. Now its even deeper up there. In the Jones pass area it was better (and deeper) but still, there is junk at the bottom so anywhere there is even a hint of a slab its a no go. It has been wicked windy up there for many many days. Even a small steep section of a slope that is otherwise mellow can slide and trap you.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, no doubt.

I'll also note that I'm human. I tend to make an occasional mistake. And, I have a tough time exercising reasonable judgment when surrounded by powder.

Yeah, I probably should stay in a padded room during ski season. ogsmile Skiing inbounds seems like a reasonable compromise for me.
:daffy:

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
BC skiing will probably never overtake resort skiing in America.

But you'd have to be blind if you live/ski in the West frequently and don't see the explosion of bc users in the past few years as a movement.

Love it.
Anything to thin out the lift lines.