• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

JPM

Booting up
Skier
The past few years, lift serviced skiing hasn't done much for me. Riding the lift is fine early season when there is not much natural snow on the ground and snowmaking trails are it. Anyone else getting this way?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The past few years, lift serviced skiing hasn't done much for me. Riding the lift is fine early season when there is not much natural snow on the ground and snowmaking trails are it. Anyone else getting this way?

Sometimes I do. On the days where the mountain is calm and uncrowded its great to work on technique or just enjoy the flow and speed of skiing. It is a happy and relaxing place for me.

On pow days rushing to get to the lift it is just crazy. The other day I got the first tracks down Golden Eagle (Beaver Creek Birds of Prey downhill course) with about a foot of powder. It was awesome but it wasnt. To get there I had to rush to the lift 40min before opening. Wait there, watch the maze get packed and then rush to the second lift, make it to the top, quickly descend to the run and without warming up or having skied deep powder in a long time send it down the initial 35º pitch. I gotta admit a few of the turns felt amazing but the whole deal just felt absurd. The whole mountain was tracked out in now time. Good thing I still enjoy skiing chow if the stuff under is not to bad.

But nothing compares to the tranquility of skinning up even on "busy" days in the backcountry.

I actually experienced both at A Basin earlier this season. I got there early after dropping off a friend at the airport and skinned up. I was at the mid mountain lodge chatting with one of the bartenders when I saw the mayhem unfold, BMX lift opened and the rush of people just getting out quickly to get to the Lenawee lift as fast as possible was ridiculous. The whole place turned from a mellow place to controlled chaos in seconds. And this was not on a big pow day. Just a few inches of fresh.

Am I done with resort skiing. Hell no. But I will avoid a lot of days and just head to the backcountry instead.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Without man made snow and lifts, there would be ZERO skiing in Arizona this year. Instead we have been skiing on miles of groomed trails since Thanksgiving. Beggars can’t be choosers.

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am. But being in New England conditions for backcountry are often awful. If it weren't for that I would still go to the resort, but I'm not sure I would buy a season pass.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
What you seem to be really asking is when conditions are reasonable is "Anyone Else Losing the Love for Lift Serviced Skiing" because of limitations for fresh powder skiing?

No. And the reason as an older skier that has been a hard core enthusiast several decades, I learned how to have fun enjoying skiing in a list of conditions, not just when fresh snow or powdery packed powder is about. I can quite enjoy days just skiing groomed runs and bumps as long as surface conditions are not too firm or icy. And I personally really love the feeling of bouncing like a big soft rubbery ball down packed powder bump slopes.

It is rather obvious that in this era of wider skis, there are fair numbers of upper intermediate through advanced skiers that are all over fresh powder and or packed powder all mountain conditions and that when those conditions get tracked out, thaw freeze cycle, ice up, slush up, and deteriorate which is not infrequent, that they don't have conditions elsewhere on a mountain to entertain themselves on. They ski groomed runs either at high speeds or in uninterested unenthusiastic ways just to reach their preferred slopes and don't have adequate mogul skiing skills or skis to skis those slopes so are wishing for something else.

So that sends them out to wide open vast unblemished backcountry slopes where one skins up on free heels and earns one's turns. Awesome and somewhat dangerous but strenuous enough that not many are willing to do so more than single runs occasionally that gnaws on one's motivation versus getting a relaxing ride up a chair lift. And I am one of those that at most will only skin up then hike up such pristine backcountry slopes occasionally for single runs because it takes a lot of effort. Note I also am a long time summer backpacker into alpine mountain regions carrying heavy loads where similarly there is much reward if one can endure much effort to get there.

Last edited:

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I could see it happening if I got into backcountry skiing. I really like the feeling when I get to a remote hike-to corner of a resort far from the madding crowd.

But I'm too scared to go into the backcountry so it's lift-served for me.

TS
J

JPM

Booting up
Skier
What you seem to be really asking is when conditions are reasonable is "Anyone Else Losing the Love for Lift Serviced Skiing" because of limitations for fresh powder skiing?

I am asking if anybody is losing the love for lift serviced skiing. You are asking if it has to do with fresh powder. Yes?

TS
J

JPM

Booting up
Skier
I think I am. I only bother anymore when it's to keep someone company; and I've pretty much limited those someones to 3 people total.

One of the reasons I'm getting away from lift serviced skiing.

upload_2018-2-14_15-23-20.png

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
In short, no. I'm sort of like @SSSdave.

Backcountry skiing, if it has done anything for me, has made me enjoy lift served skiing more because it has changed my approach and appreciation for it.

I am far less powder hungry inbounds -- as I know if I really want to ski powder I can, I just have to go work for it. Instead I just enjoy ripping around on whatever is there, bumps, groomers, crud. I love being able to ski steep lines with no / little concern for avalanches. I love riding lifts and having warm lodges to wander into. And the social element is nice too sometimes.

Probably most importantly -- as someone who skis in one of the busiest areas of the country -- backcountry skiing gives me an option to ski when I can't face dealing with crowds. So on the super busy days I opt out and can still ski. Or if I really want to ski some untouched. Or if I really want to just have some time communing with nature, and a friend or two.

tl;dr: Backcountry skiing makes me like resort skiing more. And resort skiing makes me appreciate the joys of the backcountry. Its positive feedback cycle.

Of course, this dude also really prefers bc skiing.

26805013_10101430615836220_4850656832549427677_n.jpg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I quickly learned that in the backcountry its better to have fun on the up as much as the down. With my first setup the up was a chore with the second, it was much more enjoyable. I am actually loving the up, the down is just a bonus!

Sponsor

Staff online