• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone else excited about this?

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sadly less so once it was Disneyfied ... Smart company, but alas a feeling of a dark presence has grown (IMHO)

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Sadly less so once it was Disneyfied ... Smart company, but alas a feeling of a dark presence has grown (IMHO)

Fair enough. I thought the middle three were not very good, but I was pretty impressed by the last one.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'm stoked for it. I vividly recall the first one in 1977. I didn't have a clue what I was about to see when my ski team buddies and I walked past the theater and someone suggested we see it. We got about the last seats, last row. From there the saga began to unfold before me.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Did you see the news about ticket sales?
The same company that handles presale tickets handled End Game. This one outsold End Game in the first hour.

This may not translate to long term sales, but that's crazy in the first hour.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My feeling is they have jumped the shark with the whole Star Wars sage. It was way too spread out over the years and I just can't keep track of the fragments. Star Trek isn't too far behind but for some reason I find the characters there now a little more endearing.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Brace yourself for disppointment like GoT and Endgame.

Can't believe they are resurrecting the ghost of Carrie Fisher again.

Star Trek is fine - they've always worked better standalone although some of those Next Gen movies were quite clearly a load of old tut that dodn't make the grade for a TV episode

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you see the news about ticket sales?
The same company that handles presale tickets handled End Game. This one outsold End Game in the first hour.

This may not translate to long term sales, but that's crazy in the first hour.
I guess this is good for the industry, but I actually find that the way ticket sales have been done for the past couple years ends up making me much less likely to watch the movie in theaters.

It used to be that tickets went on sale at a predictable cadence ahead of screening times. If you wanted to see a major release, you could either jump on it when tickets went on sale for opening weekend or just wait and buy tickets when they went on sale for the next weekend (and so on). Now, if you're not following just the right news source at just the right time, you're liable to miss any decent seats for up to a month or so showtimes. And short of allowing the AMC or Fandango app to send me constant advertisements, I always seem to miss the announcement.

The result is, even though I has watched nearly every blockbuster for a decade or so in theaters (and almost always in either IMAX — the real thing — or Dolby Cinemas, which is also quite nice), I actually haven't seen even a single Disney film this year (including Marvel releases). I missed getting decent seats for Captain Marvel and decided to wait. (Skiing and all.) Then, End Game came out months before I could actually watch Captain Marvel at home (having missed it in theaters), so I didn't bother, not wanting anything remotely resembling a spoiler. I still haven't caught up.

The good news is, I've gotten really good at avoiding spoilers. But then that only makes it harder to figure out when the next movie's tickets actually go on sale.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm not the type to wait in long lines, online to procure first showing seats in a tightly packed, sold out theater to a show that will be exactly the same on the screen in theaters for months and months.. I'll wait until the chaos dies down but will definitely go see it.

We're probably due for a prequel about Leah as well.. I'm guessing that will be the next in the series..

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The good news is, with reserved seating, the fact that a theater is sold out isn't necessarily much of a downside. If anything, I think it's pretty fun to watch a blockbuster like this in a packed theater.

The problem is, no one actually tells you when they're going to launch ticket sales until they're up these days. I'm sure that makes numerous IT departments quite happy, but it also means that if you miss the initial announcement, that's it. For a movie like this, any chance at a decent seat is gone for the first several weeks of showings (anywhere I would be watching, anyway).

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I'll go see it, but I burned out on getting really hyped ever since the lead up to Phantom Menace. Yeah, that was 20 years ago...

The less I build up my expectations, the better.