• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Anyone checked skis on Japan Airlines?

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
I will be traveling to Japan on JAL this winter. It looks like they don’t make any allowances for checking skis. There is a $200 fee to check a bag that is greater than 203cm overall dimension, which pretty much includes any roller bag. If anyone has travelled on JAL with skis how did you handle it?

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I checked in a quite large ski bag in March flying Tokyo to SLC, at no charge, but I was on a high-end economy ticket. And, I didn't bring the skis back to Japan, so can't advise.
I do know a friend of mine was charged to check his ski bag on a return flight from the US once, don't recall the details.
FWIW I've never been charged for checking skis on UA/Delta/Swissair/JAL/ANA

TS
V

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
I was on the phone with JAL today about this. If you are flying into/from Vancouver, BC bag check policy allows for 2 sets of skis with a weight limit of 50lbs but the standard oversized limit (203cm LxWxH) is waived. If you are flying into/from LA the oversized limit is not waived and excess baggage fee of $200 applies. The agent mentioned the Vancouver oversized limit waiver as part of a ‘campaign’ which makes me think that the policy is geared toward Japanese traveling to Whistler.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wasn’t charged for my two pair of skis on JAL/AA last winter from LAX with rock bottom airfare. I’ve read various agents may apply the rule differently, so I am always on my best behavior at the counter.

TS
V

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
Did you check in with AA or JAL? I have a feeling it’s the luck of the draw. Hope I hit it right.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I do get the impression there's some luck-of-the-draw involved with JAL.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you check in with AA or JAL? I have a feeling it’s the luck of the draw. Hope I hit it right.

I purchased my ticket through AA. Outbound trans-Pacific flight was on a JAL w/AA code share and inbound was on AA. I always check-in with the airline I’m flying on.

I called AA in advance and was told the strict AA baggage rules would apply even on partner airlines. Imagine the pleasant surprise for me both way...

Good luck, let us know what happens.

Sponsor

Staff online