• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anyone been on black crows corvus?

VON

Booting up
Skier
Shot in the dark - anyone been on the Black Crows Corvus? It is the more directional, more cambered, more stiff older brother to the very popular Atris, which I've been on and enjoyed, despite what I found to be overly soft tips.

I used to ski the old 192 Cochise, but it's getting to be too much work for me on a full day of skiing, so I'm looking to scale it back a little bit in favor of something that's modestly lighter and more energetic, but doesn't force me to sacrifice too much of the dampness and stability I love about the Cochise. Definitely don't want a noodle, and don't want something with tips that are gonna fold on me as I still like to ski fast through steep chopped up pow and variable - which is kinda the daily situation where I ski most.

Skis I've narrowed it down to are the Kastle BMX 105HP (though I'd rather not spend so much), Line Supernatural 108 (if I can find a pair), ON3P Wrenegade 108, and Black Crows Corvus. Much appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Africa

Booting up
Skier
Also taking a chance as there is limited info at this time, but I just purchased the 2019 Corvus. It is redesigned, it is now flat under foot with tip rocker and slight tail rocker. It has 2 sheets of metal that are 120cm long(not full length). In hand, the ski is stiff underfoot with a softer tip and shovel. The splay is not that big, similar to the old cochise.

I used to have the 193 cochise, switched it for the 185 cochise. I am hoping that this new corvus will be a slightly quicker and better soft snow ski, while retaining the other qualities of the cochise. I went with the 188.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@laine to the courtesy phone.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I demoed the 2017-2018 Corvus in 183.3 and really liked it. Found it a quick fun ski that had some beef but the tips were not that stiff and that made it funner off piste. I though it skied a tad short but that was a plus in tight spaces.

I also demoed the Anima in 188.4 and I though that ski was a beast. Super stable ski that was really only good at high speeds. Its a bruiser that destroys everything. It was a bit of work to ski it in a resort.

I would also look at the Blizzard Rustler 10 in 188 and the Rustler 11.

I also demoed the BMX 105 (non-HP) in 181 and loved it. Super versatile soft snow ski that can handle chop and firmer snow with confidence.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
@laine to the courtesy phone.

Neither Ted nor I have tried the Corvus. He has the Orb (91 waist) as his daily driver for Tahoe and has been very happy with it.

I demoed the Vertis Birdie (85 waist) last season for a day at Heavenly. Could also be a strong daily driver for an intermediate-early advanced skier. It was a little softer than I was looking for, but very fun for the right person.

I'd love to get on some of their other skis this season - just to try them out and see their range....

Reactions: VON

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I hesitate to comment here, but I did demo the 183 Corvus 17/18 and the 183 Orb 91 same year. I liked that version of the Corvus, and loved the Orb: may still buy it at some point. In the comparison charts for good all mountain bump skis in the Blistergear 17/18 mag, the Orb was probably their favorite, in 178 or so. But I liked those 183.4 Orbs a lot, even though I'm only 5'10"/150 lbs, - favorite demo of early demo days for me last year. I'd mount it with demos or Schizos to be able to move it up specifically for bumps and such. But at 183.4, it's a versatile, playful charger, for me.

At the time, I was told by the Black Crows reps repeatedly that the Orb was the stiffest ski Black Crows made, very different from all their others, except for the original ski they came out with, the Corvus, which was also stiffer, as it had originally been a comp big mountain (semi-custom?) ski. So I demoed the Corvus, even though it was not a powder day.

The 17/18 Corvus, to me, is still a big mountain fast comp ski, made accessible to ordinary folk also by having its tip and tail softened a touch and slightly rockered. I say this with some certainty, because I already own a pair of big mountain comp skis that are almost identical in shape and performance, and very close in specs: the Fatypus D-Senders c. 106. Both skis have very little sidecut, like to be skied square over the skis, very centered, not getting ahead or behind the ski when in deep crud, heavier powder and such. My D-Senders were nearly the last ones without rocker, so they not only like but also require such centeredness, and then they kill the worst crusts, heavy drifts, harsh transitions - stuff other skis may falter at. (Adding that rocker was something Fatypus did in the past first for their actual, longest, official comp ski - not sure about Corvus rocker timing.) Whatever else the Corvus works for, its roots are at heart in that masterblaster big mountain zone, even made more user friendly as it has been (and apparently even more so for this coming 18/19 season).

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
P.S. With many big mountain comp skis, only the longest version is actually used (by most) for competitions. Thus the Fatypus D-Sender versions shorter than their longest (191?) mostly have a slightly less burly construction, and maybe other differences (unless ordered otherwise). The same may be true of the Corvus, not sure.

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
Thought I’d give this thread a little bump as I'm still on the hunt for my next PNW daily drivers/crud busters, and am intrigued by the '17-18 Corvus, seeing as there are some good closeout deals to be had.

Have appreciated reading the feedback here - just wondering if anyone else has any further thoughts? Comparisons to some of the other typical players like the Cochise, Wrenegades, or even more mainstream stuff like the QST 106 and Rustler? Cheers, Dan

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thought I’d give this thread a little bump as I'm still on the hunt for my next PNW daily drivers/crud busters, and am intrigued by the '17-18 Corvus, seeing as there are some good closeout deals to be had.

Have appreciated reading the feedback here - just wondering if anyone else has any further thoughts? Comparisons to some of the other typical players like the Cochise, Wrenegades, or even more mainstream stuff like the QST 106 and Rustler? Cheers, Dan

Tried those and ended up getting a pair of Atris Birdies to get a better length and better powder performance, but if they had a ~170 Corvus option, it'd be in my gear room. The Atris is crud is not my fave. The only thing I'm not 100% sure on is mount point for Black Crows. I feel like mine have no tail, and I chatted with a guy on the lift at Crystal who put a second mount on his Corvuses to move the bindings forward, but I've also read a lot of reviews that say they perform better at or behind recommended. Maybe it has something to do with the length/stiffness of what I've been skiing before? Stevens Pass generally stocks 3-4 pairs of Black Crows each season, but not sure how the acquisition will change that.

In terms of the other options, I think the right answer depends a lot on what else is in your quiver, especially if have a dedicated powder ski. And if not, whether you want something that's a little more fun in the freshies or want something equipped to go off piste on even the mankiest days. I'd ballpark that of the list you mentioned, from more soft snow to crud performance, I'd say QST --> Rustler --> Enforcer 110 --> Cochise/Corvus. There's probably a 10Eight, Invictus 108, BMX105, Wrens, Dictators, and J Skis The Metal to slot in there somewhere. (If anyone can do the same with the old Line Supernatural 108s, please do. I'm curious).

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Shot in the dark - anyone been on the Black Crows Corvus? It is the more directional, more cambered, more stiff older brother to the very popular Atris, which I've been on and enjoyed, despite what I found to be overly soft tips.

I used to ski the old 192 Cochise, but it's getting to be too much work for me on a full day of skiing, so I'm looking to scale it back a little bit in favor of something that's modestly lighter and more energetic, but doesn't force me to sacrifice too much of the dampness and stability I love about the Cochise. Definitely don't want a noodle, and don't want something with tips that are gonna fold on me as I still like to ski fast through steep chopped up pow and variable - which is kinda the daily situation where I ski most.

Skis I've narrowed it down to are the Kastle BMX 105HP (though I'd rather not spend so much), Line Supernatural 108 (if I can find a pair), ON3P Wrenegade 108, and Black Crows Corvus. Much appreciate everyone's thoughts.

I demoed a pair of 183cm Corvus las season and liked them. Easy to ski and fun directional ski. It has some beef but didn't feel heavy underfoot at all. The tip rocker was noticeable and helped make the ski really nice off piste and in softer snow. Still held a good edge. I wanted to try the 188cm's but they didn't have any. I loved the Kastle 105 non-HP. It felt like a more refined and planted ski compared to the Corvus. It all depends on how, where you ski and what you prefer.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I also tried the QST 106's (2019 model in 188cm), the Rustler 10's (188cm) and 11's (192cm) and the Enforcer 110's (185cm).

The QST's are much better than the previous model in heavyish powder, super fun ski and more damp and composed than the previous version but still light enough that they make good all day skis.

The Rustler 10's were better in firmer snow but versatile enough for powder. Like them a lot for a resort ski. Definitely much more versatile and light on its feet than the Bonafide but still have some beef and solid edge hold.

The Rustler 11's were fun but BEASTS. Not for the faint of heart and not for tight spaces although they were responsive and fun for their size. (the 188's might be the best choice unless you ski only open spaces at high speeds)

The Enforcer 110's felt easier to ski than the Rustler 11's but didn't feel light and quick. They were middle of the road in everything. They were not slow but just a more bland ski for me. Nothing stood out. Solid and safe choice if you can drive it.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To add to the above, the Corvus I tried (17/18) had a straightness to its sidecut and flex that meant it would excel at big mountain, and seem a bit like overkill on intermediate resort soft snow runs. Good, but overkill.

The Line Supernatural 108, to me, lacks float some, a bit like the Cochise. It smooths chop/variable, and to me fits almost on top of the Enforcer 110s, maybe a bit between those and the Corvis & Cochise, in your above scale. Compared to the Cochise, the Supernatural is smooth, easier, almost as capable a variable/crud ski as the Cochise (but a bit less stiff, at least than the versions of Cochise I've tried).

To me, the Enforcer 110s felt like a bit mushier Enforcer 100 (@ tip and tail): they had a recognizable Enforcer 100 feel, but softer at either extremity. The Enforcer 100, to me, is almost a best in class as a crud/variable ski, and the Enforcer 110 can't be too far behind. But it still disappointed me - maybe I'd have liked it stiffer, to keep closer to the corresponding feel and capability of the Enforcer 100.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
P.S. As a nod to the Blizzard lovers I know and at times ski with, last year (17/18 versions) I tried 180, 188 and 192 lengths of the Rustler 11 on a powder demo day. I gave each ski 2-3 runs. First tried, the 192 I liked a lot, even though I'm only 5'10"/c.150 lbs. I'd enjoy owning it. It charged some, but to me was not especially burly. Easy handling, yet stable at speed. At the same time, it was not the top o' the line crud ski I had hoped for, relatively speaking: good but not tops. (Skis like the Bibby Pros 184/191 and Katana 184, etc. have spoiled me on top crud skis.) But the 192 Rustler 11 handled very well for such a long, big ski. I liked it better, for example, than the Volkl Confession 186, including at crud busting, but also at float and handling.

The 180 Rustler 11 I liked almost as well, but differently. I found it relatively playful, a real stand out in powder. I felt it compared very favorably in crud and elsewhere to other playful powder skis (such as the Super 7 and Super 7 HD, for example). This ski too I'd enjoy owning: fun but doesn't get tossed too much in variable. (Much less than the Bentchet, for example.)

Oddly, the 188 Rustler 11 I liked least. It was neither fish nor fowl, in between the other two: neither noticeably playful for me, nor as stable an easy charger as the 192 - for me. I think this was just because of how it happened to fit with my own skier profile.

Last edited:

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@ski otter 2 - thank you! Super helpful. In my neck of the woods (PNW), we get a lot of days that start with powder and get manky real fast based on how warm it is. I would probably argue that PNW crud is the cruddiest of them all (but hey, no complaints, at some point, snow quantity > snow quality). I want something that'll float in the morning and handle crud in the afternoon, but a preference for the latter. I'm on the small-ish side and can float okay on my Pandora 95/162 touring setup. Something tells me a longer, wider, albeit heavier ski will still be an improvement. But I really hate getting bucked around and we tend to spend almost all of our time off piste, even when snow quality is pretty bad, and I want to be able to keep up.

Interesting note on the Enforcers. I've read the women's version is a touch stiffer since there's not an equivalent for the Enforcer Pro. The Santa Ana 110 and SN108 might round out my shortlist then.

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
Hey guys, sorry for not checking back here til now – it’s been a crazy month. Big thanks for all the additional input here. Like Analisa, I am up in the PNW (Whistler and Baker mostly) so I’m mostly looking for that aforementioned mank-busting ski, one that won’t let me down going [my 39-year-old version of] mach schnell, while still being forgiving enough when the legs get noodly towards the end of day.

The Corvus 188 does sound like it could be the ticket, but I've also realized over the past month that as good as the pre-season deals have been on the 'Crows and others, I really need to hold off and demo a bunch of stuff, and see what’s what. I'm also undecided if these new skis would outright replace my dedicated Line Mr. Pollard's Opus powder boards, or merely be a chargier, more directional complement to them (and my skinnier Monster 88's).

Aaanyway, lots of navel-gazing here - thanks again and will be sure to share my thoughts when I finally try some boards out!

Lebowski

Putting on skis
Skier
Me again...

So I thought I'd provide a personal update on this ski: back in February I ended up buying (and indeed, without trying, despite my previous misgivings) the Corvus in 188cm; the ‘17/’18 (trad. camber) model, on closeout from Evo, mounted with Pivot 14’s at the recommended line. I realize this mini-review will already be somewhat obsolete, as the new, flat-cambered Corvus has since replaced my skis. But hey, if you come across a used pair and are curious, maybe this will be useful.

I'd actually been away from the mountains since mid-February due to some boring Life Stuff, but finally managed to get back out this past weekend, and for an inaugural day on the Black Crows. Typical and enjoyable Whistler springtime conditions: temps hovering around Freezing, crusty and fast in the AM, corn and slush in the PM, bluebird all day.

The Corvii were awesome. Exactly what i was hoping for in a beefy-but-manageable Western daily driver. Railed in the hard stuff and floated/surfed quite well in the soft. Very confidence-inspiring, thanks to the traditional camber and stiffness underfoot. They felt like a good match for my slightly-relaxed-but-still-Racer-forward steez. Felt like a more predictable and responsive Rustler 11 (a ski that I didn't really jibe with when i demoed) or simply a burlier QST 106 (a ski that I jibed with very well).

Before getting out on them, I did question the length and mount point that I went with for lanky 6’2 frame (e.g. should I have mounted them perhaps a little further back? Should I have perhaps bumped up to the 193?) but once I clicked in, I can’t say the skis left me wanting for any more high-speed stability, and the slightly shorter length was welcomed in the bumps.

Of course, this is only after Day 1, so we'll see how they fare in slightly deeper, cruddier conditions of the next season, but overall and thus far, I'm stoked!

Last edited: