• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Anybody here ski Plattekill?

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, those are some glowing reports! Maybe if there's a Pugski GTG there I'll finally have a reason to travel back east to ski?

The glow of a very dim light....lol....I am not sure I would recommend anybody to fly back east to ski Plattekill. It’s old school and has a soul.....a story behind it....but nobody is traveling from VT/NH....let alone out west to ski it.

Catskill resorts we ski cause we have to.....not cuz we absolutely want to/love to.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve had some of my best east coast ski days at Plattekill back during the early 90’s after big nor-Easter’s dumped feets of snow in the cats.

I love Plattekill and never liked hunter to play devils advocate to the hunter fan post. To me hunter is just an ugly ski area with trails forced and blown into a giant rock. Trails lined with fences, pipes and metal poles that make it feel more like an urban environment than a ski mountain. I don’t care much for crowds either, skiing with hundreds of people around ain’t really skiing imo. Plattekill on the other hand felt very organic and the mountain is naturally a better fit for a ski area.

Never said Hunter was a beautiful mountain....just said I like the terrain compared to other Catskill areas. We actually call Hunter the Slag Heap....(which is not a compliment)....I describe the front side like a screw........the trails wrap around like the thread of a screw.

We tend to stay away from the screw trails.....they are the most crowded.....Also my experience on Sunday mornings differs from most weekend visitors. We probably ski different terrain.....cuz it’s definitely skiing....and we have fun mornings there.

bailey35mm

Go that way, really fast
Skier
Platty is my favorite place to ski in New York. I’m a little biased since I grew up skiing there. I miss the lack of crowds and the atmosphere now that I live out west.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I never skied Plattekill when I was still back east...a shame I know. I only skied Belleyre once too. This is kinda surprising because my in laws had a house in Ellenville (just east of both of them) but I tended to head up to Huntah when I stayed there. This is a great story of owners doing what they need to do to keep the place operational.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah ..... shame on you Phil :roflmao:
Bummer that Laszlo and Danielle cut back on summer mountain biking for wedding venues but like you said, you gotta do what pays the bills !

Anyone here skied the new terrain at Hunter yet ? Should be a real game changer for advanced skiers and riders who can now access the west side directly without the congestion of the main area via the new parking and lift.
Peaks resorts will continue their expansion with new base lodge to follow next year.

Rumors of skis burning last night back east in hopes of pleasing Ullar and getting this season going ! Regardless of which Catskill mtn, you enjoy, they all need snow.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just skied the new terrain at Hunter yesterday for the first time. The new parking lot (which we did not use) looked very much underused. As for the terrain itself, it is impressive. My understanding was that their intention was to expand intermediate terrain on the main mountain. From that respect, they somewhat failed - it is upper intermediate/lower advanced. And they have now updated the original designations from blue to blue/black on 2 of the trails. They should give up this and at least make Overlook black.

Overlook is fairly steep for a long period. And with recent weather activity and the high traffic due to it being new was fairly scraped off. It is wide, but that trail is harder than several other current black trails there. There is a runout at the bottom - if those poor intermediates make it that far. They just opened Twilight yesterday and they left the snowmaking whales so it was definitely not skiing intermediate like. I won’t judge the rating of that until if/when they groom it. Rip’s Return was definitely more intermediate. Unfortunately you have to go down a now destroyed Way Out to get to the latter two. Again, weather/traffic left that a skating rink that only Mikaela Shiffrin would enjoy.

With good snow, I would spend a lot of time on the new terrain. The lift certainly moves a lot of people and is another good alternative to spending your day in the Flyer line. They will need to do something to expand the top of Way Out and step up the snowmaking there given the increased traffic. Or get more ski patrollers and sleds whom were plenty busy yesterday.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One more thing - it seems they continue the late opening hours of Hunter West which limits the use of the parking lot to access West unless you limit yourself to the new terrain early. Another advantage of the new lift is that you won’t get stuck on the west side if the lift breaks, because there is a cat track to the new lift.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Yeah ..... shame on you Phil :roflmao:
Bummer that Laszlo and Danielle cut back on summer mountain biking for wedding venues but like you said, you gotta do what pays the bills !
Anyone here skied the new terrain at Hunter yet ? Should be a real game changer for advanced skiers and riders who can now access the west side directly without the congestion of the main area via the new parking and lift.
Peaks resorts will continue their expansion with new base lodge to follow next year.

Rumors of skis burning last night back east in hopes of pleasing Ullar and getting this season going ! Regardless of which Catskill mtn, you enjoy, they all need snow.

Hoping to check out the Hunter North this Wednesday. As stated above, I heard it's not a fun place to be on the weekend. Platty finally opened the double this weekend, but not quite enough trails open for me to make the 3 hour drive. So heading out for a MTB ride instead.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier

What is amazing about Plattekill is that it can look like that all weekend while the other mountains in the area will be skied out in 2 hours.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What is amazing about Plattekill is that it can look like that all weekend while the other mountains in the area will be skied out in 2 hours.

That was from Presidents Day Weekend 2015. Sat and Sun. I found so many sweet lines in the trees all weekend, from boundary to boundary. Didn’t get any pix of the tighter and steeper lines.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Plattekill should be good this weekend, but I'll most likely head up to the ski club lodge in Vt Saturday and ski Pico Sunday and Magic on Monday. Hopefully the storm is as advertised and I'll ski Tuesday also, in which case I may find my clothes on the street when i get home. JohnL, will you be skiing Monday at Magic?

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
G Plake sighting yesterday at Platty and he’s back again today.
Friends kept pace with him yesterday, or tried to anyway. Mentioned he was humble and fun to hang with well past the lifts closing.

Mister Mann

aka ADKS
Skier
Anybody heading up this weekend? Should be great.
I might go to Plattekill Sunday 2/10. Patagonia in the City (Meatpacking) had discount vouchers at the register for that day too.

In terms of Catskill ski areas, my favorites are Belleayre and, when snow is good, Plattekill. In terms of personality, both are more wild-looking than Hunter or Windham, which both have a more built-up, resort vibe. (Belleayre is getting fancier, though, especially with the new gondola and proposed improvements.) Some people prefer the terrain at Hunter over Belleayre, but I don't. Most of Hunter is funneled through one lift at the top, where it then splits two ways. (When steeper Hunter West is open, there are more options.) I also haven't skied the new terrain this year.

Belleayre is more spread out along a ridge, so the crowds seem to get spread out more. I've heard people fault the terrain at Belleayre for being similar all over the mountain. I haven't found that to be the case, but can see what they're talking about. The upper third of the upper mountain has mainly steep, wide, fall line trails, but there is variety among them. Some are groomed, some are natural and bumped up, and some are gladed. My personal favorite is Dot Nebel, a wide, fairly steep run that you can really open it up on (it's often closed for racing, unfortunately). There are two nice, long easy trails (blues but should be green) with great views as bookends on both sides of the mountain (Deer Run and Roaring Brook). The lower part of the upper mountain are mainly cruisy blues, but there are generally moguls on some of them, and some easy glades too. The lower mountain is pretty flat green terrain, but excellent for new skiers. The new gondola has pushed more traffic to the formerly empty west side of the mountain. I skied Belleayre yesterday. Although I had never seen so many parked cars, the mountain never felt crowded and I didn't wait to get on a lift more than 5-10 minutes max, and generally walked on the lifts.

Plattekill, on the other hand, has two, slow fixed lifts, but never any lift lines. There is limited green terrain for beginners, and even Powder Puff, the main green run from the top, has spots that can be quite difficult for new skiers. There are sustained steep runs that go the entire vertical drop of the mountain, which is unique in the Catskills. There are wide, steep fall line trails, and twisty, narrow trails through the woods. There also is quite a bit of unmarked tree skiing, which I don't really know my way around through very well, and don't usually ski with people who want to explore the trees, unfortunately. As others have said, it is an old school, very friendly place with good terrain, a laid back attitude, a good bar, and nothing fancy. Plattekill has increased its snowmaking, but still lags behind the other resorts. On the plus side, it is much farther west and often gets lake effect snow. It's a farther drive from the City, which also helps keep crowds away. Most NYC skiers have never heard of it.

Harvey

Booting up
Skier
I'm here to post in this important thread.

If you like Magic more than Stratton, you will like Plattekill more than Windham.

Well said.

Plattekill is an incredibly special place. Consider it if you like steep terrain, natural snow, wide open side country, old school lodge and short or non-existing liftlines.

The owners are very accessible too. The last time I skied with Laz the skiing was excellent, it was the end of the day, we were about to drop in on our last run. I said do we rip this and see if we can get two more or savor? He said "let's savor it and see what happens." When we got back to the double he asked the liftie if he could stay, and we skied another hour.

A few shots from opening day last year:

plattekill-first-chair.jpg

blockbuster.jpg

snowboarder-on-plunge.jpg

scott-in-the-trees.jpg

Our piece on Plake:

And all of our Plattekill content here:

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online