• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Anybody here ski Plattekill?

dankafm869

Booting up
Skier
This isn't accurate.

Which runs (marked or unmarked) at Plattekill are steeper than the upper part of Lift Line Glade (under Tomahawk), Chippewa, or some of the other areas at Belleayre? I'm not intending to be antagonistic, I would just genuinely like to know since like I've mentioned, I've only skied Plattekill once.

My thoughts are that while Plattekill definitely offers a much longer sustained pitch on most of its expert runs than those at Belleayre, the actual steepness of most expert runs at Belleayre is greater than those at Plattekill. For example, skiernet.com lists a 30 degree pitch for Yahoo's headwall versus a 21.7 degree pitch for Freefall: http://www.skiernet.com/9/angle-of-ski-trails.php

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Ok I'll give it to you. Still think Plattekill is better for a powder day where pitch matters.

Anyone else have an opinion? Be interesting to see what the collective thinks.

Platty for sure on a powder day, especially if lucky enough for a Powder Daze. However, I'm glad the masses prefer Hunter or Belleaye so the crowds go elsewhere to fight for their 30 minutes of fresh.

I've never thought of Belleayre as being steep and have no issues bringing my family there. I don't bring them to Platty cause it's too steep for them to enjoy.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
“My” only problem for Plattekill is getting there for a powder day......2 1/2 hours driving up through the backwoods of PA/NY isn’t that good of a time......lol.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Belleayre is one of the best teaching and beginner terrain in the catskills, I’ll give you that.
Steep for any distance, Yahoo ? come on man...... all 300' of it - WOW.
Check the mounds of snow in jersey skiers post #31 - platty will actually let you ski that.
At Belleayre that would be closed for days for grooming.

Harvey

Booting up
Skier
I guess I shouldn't have said "not accurate" ... maybe something like "not conventional wisdom." In the years I've been skiing NY, I'd never heard someone say they choose Belle over Plattekill because it was steeper. Looking back at my post it seems rude, so I apologize for it.

I clicked on that link and really looked at it. Not sure how they chose the specific pitches measured, but they are in groups by length, which is kind of a cool idea. It's trying to deal with the fact that when comparing steepness the length of the pitch is important.

Harvey

Booting up
Skier
3 hours for me, four on a really heavy snow day, but always worth it.

You guys would think I am crazy. Plattekill is 3.25 hours for me I do it regularly. (Often leave at the end of day and head to our place near Gore, another 3 hours.)

Probably longest day ever was my birthday this year, alarm set for 2:30 am to make 1st chair at McCauley:

Somewhere around 6 hours.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
I've only been to platty a few times but its is a fun mountain with the straight shot trails and cool twisting classics off the north face chair. The first time I went the ticket was $19 with a $10 food voucher. I'd go more but I'm on I-91 so that's VT for me.

As for Belle, the tomahawk terrain is best but the Gondi kind of ruined the vibe for me.

Sponsor

Staff online