• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Anybody here ski Plattekill?

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes - best place to ski in the area when there is snow. Wait someone just said that. Love Plattekill!!!! Thanks for the article @cosmoliu

James

Out There
Instructor
Are we really saying the skiing at Plattekill is better than Hunter and Windham? I've only been to Windham of the three.

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
Different terrain, different crowd, different vibe. Id take one day at P over many days at H or W. Such a fun spot esp with new snow. Plus you can tour a bunch around there, which adds to the appeal imo

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you like Magic more than Stratton, you will like Plattekill more than Windham.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier

skiprob

Putting on skis
Skier
Great article. Thanks for sharing.

I've only been once for a two day clinic. I generally prefer the old school vibe and the folks were really great. The kids are pretty hardcore too and that always makes me laugh.

It was a great drive in. Surprisingly remote. But then, a person in the lot told me that Delaware County is indirectly protected from development because it is the watershed for the NYC water supply. I guess not too much of a surprise.

A gem.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are we really saying the skiing at Plattekill is better than Hunter and Windham? I've only been to Windham of the three.

I personally prefer Hunter’s terrain to any Catskill resort. In fact, I will be there tomorrow am.....

I ski it enough and for the most part able to avoid crowds and find better conditions and an interesting day. The new lift and terrain pod will be interesting to see how it changes crowd movement around the mountain.

We do ski Plattekill (when it has fresh snow) to switch things up.......Fresh snow makes anything better, so the less visited Plattekill can be a fun day.

TS
cosmoliu

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wow, those are some glowing reports! Maybe if there's a Pugski GTG there I'll finally have a reason to travel back east to ski?

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Senility appears to be setting in. :duck::D
At least it is in the form of a question rather than a statement. Ain't too far gone yet. :cool:
Haha...Yeah, it’s not that magical that you fly across the country for it. If you just happen to be in the region and there’s snow, then yeah.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’ve had some of my best east coast ski days at Plattekill back during the early 90’s after big nor-Easter’s dumped feets of snow in the cats.

I love Plattekill and never liked hunter to play devils advocate to the hunter fan post. To me hunter is just an ugly ski area with trails forced and blown into a giant rock. Trails lined with fences, pipes and metal poles that make it feel more like an urban environment than a ski mountain. I don’t care much for crowds either, skiing with hundreds of people around ain’t really skiing imo. Plattekill on the other hand felt very organic and the mountain is naturally a better fit for a ski area.

bjohansson

Putting on skis
Skier
If you like Magic more than Stratton, you will like Plattekill more than Windham.
Most of us Magic regulars have skied at Plattekill and consider it our long lost twin. It was much easier to get to before I moved back to Vermont...

Sponsor

Staff online