• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Well shorten the whole inseam instead of cutting at the knee or cutting the biottom of the leg off. Maybe such a thing is impossible.

I think I get what you're thinking of and that might be possible depending on how the pants are constructed. For these Descente pants, I don't think that would turn out well.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
As far as the zipper goes, the width of the pant leg really doesn't even need a zipper to assist with getting the pants over the boots...
Good point - now that I think about it, I like my zippers so I can get the pants well above my knees for putting neoprene knee braces on. A shorter zipper would make that harder. I guess that's kind of unique to me.

Greg Eaton

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Short ski pants are typically only available in black. So if you want any other color, you're also SOL. I did find some Mountain Hardwear pants years ago that were available in a short length and not black, but I was recently looking again and didn't find anything.
I have Mountain Hardware size Med Short coming in a golden brown. I'll try to let you know the review.

Greg Eaton

Skier
Short ski pants are typically only available in black. So if you want any other color, you're also SOL. I did find some Mountain Hardwear pants years ago that were available in a short length and not black, but I was recently looking again and didn't find anything.
I found these! At first at REI, who only had the regular length. They referred me to the manufacturer web site from which I ordered them. But they are still a couple days away, so I cant review yet.

Greg Eaton

Skier
I've heard of these mythical short inseam pants but have never found them in the wild. If I found any that fit I'd buy three pair so I never need look again. At this point I'd probably even massively overpay but when I looked earlier this season I couldn't find a pair that fit at any price.

RainyPass is a possibility to do the work remotely but what I'd like is a real person in person to get them tailored. Summit County had one woman listed that did that work for some ski teams but I had no luck making contact last time I tried. Her name is Holly Robb and below is a link to the story where they describe her work:

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/local/business-is-booming-for-breckenridge-seamstress/

Good luck with your quest!
I have Mountain Hardware size Med Short coming in a golden brown from the manufacturer web site. I'll try to let you know the review.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Since this thread has been bumped I guess I'll provide an update on my ski pants tailoring escapade...

So I decided to use a local tailor instead of shipping them off to a professional. When I picked them up last week, I checked them over and they looked perfect. You couldn't even tell that they had been altered. The inner gaiters were perfectly shortened. The ski edge guard patches had been moved as requested. The cuff trim was reattached. The side zippers were shorter. They looked perfect.

So I get home and try them on. The right leg goes in and everything feels fine. I can see that they're the perfect length. But then as I'm putting my left leg in, all of a sudden my toes get caught up in a weird twisted up section inside the leg. I think that I just must have the pant leg twisted weird, so I try to kind of straighten it out and I'm able to get my leg fully into the pants. When I look in the mirror, I see that the left leg is totally twisted up and the pant leg won't sit correctly. The right side is absolutely perfect. The left side is a joke.

The next day I bring them back into the tailor and show them what happened with the pants. She looks the leg over and realizes that they did indeed somehow twist the inner liner and connected the right side of the liner to the left side of the outer shell (and vice versa). Oops. A big oops. So tomorrow they're supposed to be done being fixed and I'm hoping that they'll be perfect... on both sides! :)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Two manufactures that are good about Long and short lengths are Obermeyer and Spyder. Try them.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^ Just FYI, I bought a pair of Columbia Titanium short-length pants this year and really like them.
Columbia doesn't get a lot of love here (they're a Chevy brand in a place where folks have Mercedes taste), but....they fit, they're well-made, and they're as waterproof and breathable as most of us need. And, they're affordable to begin with and easy to find on sale.

Sponsor

Staff online