• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
OK, I just have to ask. Your "best local sewing machine store"? Do we actually have these still in major cities? What stores carry sewing machines where you could talk to knowledgeable people?

I'm late, but most areas have at least one brick-and-mortar repair shop, and most of the cities I've lived in have had more than one option. They're usually independent shops that are certified to repair industrial and/or semi-professional machines, so a lot of times they'll have a pretty good idea of what resources each local commercial sewer has & what they can handle.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I'm late, but most areas have at least one brick-and-mortar repair shop, and most of the cities I've lived in have had more than one option. They're usually independent shops that are certified to repair industrial and/or semi-professional machines, so a lot of times they'll have a pretty good idea of what resources each local commercial sewer has & what they can handle.
Make sure the shop is certified to repair waterproof clothing otherwise you void you warranty and often times end up with a leaky seam

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
http://specialtyoutdoors.com is the real deal for technical clothing modifications.
  • Factory authorized by The North Face™, Helly Hansen™, and TREW Gear™
  • Fitting: length alterations for pant legs and sleeves
  • Zippers: all kinds including waterproof and welded
  • General repairs: patching, fixing, Velcro
  • Modifications: pit zips, pockets, features

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I used rainypass.com this season to take 5" out of a pair of light gray Strafe pants. You'd never know that work was done. The material was taken out below the knee and above the zipper at the cuff and a clean seam is now there. Expensive but worth it for me. I'll use them again if I find a pair of the bright blue pants to match my new jacket.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I used rainypass.com this season to take 5" out of a pair of light gray Strafe pants. You'd never know that work was done. The material was taken out below the knee and above the zipper at the cuff and a clean seam is now there. Expensive but worth it for me. I'll use them again if I find a pair of the bright blue pants to match my new jacket.
I need a pair of pants fixed , thanks for posting

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Fall update on short pants:

Just spoke with a freind at Patagonia, this years Goretex 2L & 3L pants will listed on the website in the next 10 days or so. She said there will be a 2L Gore-Tex pant in short length, size S-XL, there was conflicting info about a 3L pant in short length. They always have the H2No pant in short length, sometimes you need to call to get them as they may not be listed on the site, but are in the flagship stores. She mentioned 2 colors in the H2No short length pants.

Obermeyer will have a few pant options in short. Will be available in black, grey & red, light insulated with 15k waterproof:breathable membrane. A cheaper 10k waterproof:breathable (heavier insulation) pant will also be available.

Last edited:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Fall update on short pants:

Just spoke with a freind at Patagonia,. She mentioned 2 colors in the H2No short length pants.

Obermeyer will have a few pant options in short. Will be available in black, grey & red, light insulated with 15k waterproof:breathable membrane. A cheaper 10k waterproof:breathable (heavier insulation) pant will also be available.

The Obermeyer colors are all ones I hate.

And the Patagonia colors are ? ? ?
(I'm betting Black & grey or pink) :(

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
When it comes to repairs to outdoor equipment and specialty clothes (I'm saying in general and not about pants so much), consider a cobbler. I used one for some webbing belt repairs and it was easy peasy as they have the equipment for it. I don't think I would go to them to take in a waist seam, but thought I would throw this in.

The follow up based on the "best local sewing machine store" comments, is some towns still have them (we actually have two in the nearby city) but they are a dying breed in our throw away society and might be why they are more willing to take on work other than shoes.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
If you are in the Seattle Area, RainCity Repair specializes in repairs to waterproof fabrics and they are certified by Gortex. A repair or alternation done by them will not void your warranty. They also know how to tape seams … etc. They are experts at this kind of repair. That said they ain't cheap. This is why I like buying from brands like OR and Patagonia who give phenomenal warranty support. Patagonia will even repair or replace your item even if it is damage from wear and tear, which is pretty awesome.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cioch Direct makes custom pants. I have the opposite problem of the OP, most pants are to short for me.

I have been very happy with their pants, just got my second pair after 4 years of super frequent use wore through the ultralight fabric I had chosen for the first ones.

http://www.cioch-direct.co.uk/

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
http://specialtyoutdoors.com is the real deal for technical clothing modifications.
  • Factory authorized by The North Face™, Helly Hansen™, and TREW Gear™
  • Fitting: length alterations for pant legs and sleeves
  • Zippers: all kinds including waterproof and welded
  • General repairs: patching, fixing, Velcro
  • Modifications: pit zips, pockets, features

Just used them to shorten a pair of Arcteryx Sabre pants and she did a great job with them. You wouldn’t know that they had been altered by looking at them. Quick turnaround and reasonable price also.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Just used them to shorten a pair of Arcteryx Sabre pants and she did a great job with them. You wouldn’t know that they had been altered by looking at them. Quick turnaround and reasonable price also.

What was the "quick turnaround"? How long do Specialty Outdoors and Rainy Pass usually take for shortening ski pants?

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What was the "quick turnaround"? How long do Specialty Outdoors and Rainy Pass usually take for shortening ski pants?

Took about two weeks plus a few days for shipping. They did indicate that i got mine in right before their busy season and I believe their website says it normally takes 3 to 4 weeks.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Well it's been an interesting discovery of how to handle ski pants tailoring. RP and SO really, really, really only want to do ski pants hemming by cutting them at the knee and taking up the hem there. I finally convinced Penny at SO to consider doing it the way I really wanted, but the price was $200+ (plus shipping costs to and from). RP hasn't even gotten back to me on doing it my preferred way. I ended up visiting my local tailor and it probably shouldn't have surprised me that she's hemmed hundreds of ski pants over the years (considering she's in the Denver metro). So she was just fine with doing it the way I preferred and the cost wasn't too insane ($125 and no shipping costs). Even better, they'll be done by next Thursday.

For those interested, I really didn't want a new seam added in the knee area of these pants. They have no seams cutting across the legs anywhere and I wasn't thrilled with the idea of adding them. RP and SO will seam seal them, so there really wasn't a concern regarding the waterproof membrane, but I just couldn't come to grips with the idea of the new seam and what it would look like. I just wanted the pants hemmed like normal from the bottom. My tailor was willing to do that and simply shorten the side zippers, shorten the internal gaiters, and move the cuff guards higher.

Keeping my fingers crossed... :)

James

Out There
Instructor
Well it's been an interesting discovery of how to handle ski pants tailoring. RP and SO really, really, really only want to do ski pants hemming by cutting them at the knee and taking up the hem there. I finally convinced Penny at SO to consider doing it the way I really wanted, but the price was $200+ (plus shipping costs to and from). RP hasn't even gotten back to me on doing it my preferred way. I ended up visiting my local tailor and it probably shouldn't have surprised me that she's hemmed hundreds of ski pants over the years (considering she's in the Denver metro). So she was just fine with doing it the way I preferred and the cost wasn't too insane ($125 and no shipping costs). Even better, they'll be done by next Thursday.

For those interested, I really didn't want a new seam added in the knee area of these pants. They have no seams cutting across the legs anywhere and I wasn't thrilled with the idea of adding them. RP and SO will seam seal them, so there really wasn't a concern regarding the waterproof membrane, but I just couldn't come to grips with the idea of the new seam and what it would look like. I just wanted the pants hemmed like normal from the bottom. My tailor was willing to do that and simply shorten the side zippers, shorten the internal gaiters, and move the cuff guards higher.

So, you took say 3 inches right off the bottom?
Does anyone do it by making the seam way up where the legs attach?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Did the pants have an anti-cut area on the inside of the legs? If so, you're OK with having that shorter? And did they have a zipper? And you're OK with having that shorter?

I wouldn't, personally, be OK with either of those I don't think.

James

Out There
Instructor
Where the legs attach? Not sure I understand what you mean.
Well shorten the whole inseam instead of cutting at the knee or cutting the biottom of the leg off. Maybe such a thing is impossible.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Did the pants have an anti-cut area on the inside of the legs? If so, you're OK with having that shorter? And did they have a zipper? And you're OK with having that shorter?

I wouldn't, personally, be OK with either of those I don't think.

I think you're referring to the cuff guards. They're being removed first and shifted up so they will be identical to the way the were before the alteration. As far as the zipper goes, the width of the pant leg really doesn't even need a zipper to assist with getting the pants over the boots, so I was OK with getting the zipper shortened. She offered to move the existing zipper and keep the length, but it would have cost more money and I decided it wasn't worth it for me. Maybe this was the wrong decision, but it can be fixed later if it turns out to be a problem.

Sponsor

Staff online