• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have this problem all the time. Often the Brick and Mortar stores don't carry the short lengths but the manufacturers do have them on their website. So no outlet store sale prices.

Need hems shortened 3-4 inches on my new ski pants. Legs possibly taken in as well. Before I call local tailors around my area, I am trying to get a sense of whether or not I should even proceed. Taped seams, Keprotec boot cuffs, Micro seams etc. will probably complicate the process I assume.
What complicates it most is the tapering at the bottom and the zippers. As mentioned above, it needs to be done at the knee to be done well.

Nothing technical about shortening, I think any tailor could do it. Just cut, fold over and sew.
Not true. Not with waterproofed and articulated seams. I sew - and have costumed entire theatrical productions myself - but I do not touch my own technical gear. However, I am not a tailor. I think any good tailor can look at it, measure you, take it apart and put it back together just fine.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not true. Not with waterproofed and articulated seams. I sew - and have costumed entire theatrical productions myself - but I do not touch my own technical gear. However, I am not a tailor. I think any good tailor can look at it, measure you, take it apart and put it back together just fine.

agree, i had 1 panel on a finger of a leather ski glove seam starting to come apart so I put in 2 stitches to pull it together AND seamsealed tbe the repair with seamgrip but when i tested it after by making some snowballs it leaked unlike the other glove. takes technical skill to not puncture the goretex or waterproof sheets and maintain waterproofing.

Last edited:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
It really does require more than that for a professional job. I did more than that and I'm not a professional, by any stretch. You have to consider the gaiter, the lining, the trim, those patches of stuff on the bottom that reduce cuts from skis, zippers or snaps at the bottom, etc.

In some cases, it is easier to shorten them at the knee, or maybe just below, instead of working through all of the other elements.
Absolutely shortening at the knee is the simple way to go. I had 2 pairs shortened at the knee (about 6 inches) by a Silver Spring Md tailor. $25 for first. 3 years later $50 for 2nd.
Only downside is the Goretex has an opening so if it rains hard a bit of water gets in below the knee.

Trying to seam seal is a whole new ball of wax at a much higher price.

Last edited:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Prior to this ski season I was in at least 3 local shops. At all locations, I consider their inventory very well stocked. Tons of brands and every waist size available. Combed through every rack and hanger to not find a single “short” size. So the only place to find “short” sizing is online. Don’t get me wrong, I am an online shopper at heart, but for clothing I still prefer the traditional in-store experience.
Grrr also same here !

Often, it is not worth the trouble. Most major brands have "short" pants as part of their offering. Major brands like Arc'teryx, Marmot, TNF, Marker, Pataonia, Kjus, Bogner, Spyder, Vist, Karbon - to name a few. They do go on sale and comes in different colors also. Just have to keep an eye out.
No, My eye never sees any. Only once did I find one short pair and it was black- a color I can't stand. Would love to replace my tattered blue Helly Hanson short pants that are becoming prehistoric but can find no short sizes. Tried Arc'teryx regular pants in Park City -worst fitting pants ever, not just the obvious length problem but were super baggy "relaxed" fit in upper leg. Need to nail what fits in a store before going online.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I face a similar dilemma. Put on 40 pounds after I quit smoking 20 years ago, I'm now a size large in the waist but a size M in the length. My size large pants gradually just tailor them selves with the bottoms getting shredded by my edges and catching on ski brakes, etc..I flip up the bottoms making a temporary cuff for walking to/from the car.

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
As have I. It's not that difficult -

You've got people telling you that it IS difficult. Believe them.

Of your links the only ones that might fit me were all black except for one pair. Those were purple. Since beggars can't be choosers I actually will consider this pair even though on first glance the color looks ugly to me. Even assuming the color was acceptable there's no guarantee at all that those will fit my body even if I were to order them. Been there done that and no it's not at all easy to find a pair of pants that fit, in the color I want, and with the features I want.

FIG.jpg

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Those were purple.
It's not purple! It's FIG!

I looked at a couple of sites to see what's what. Peter Glenn has a few in Short length and they're easy to find since they have a filter for it.

Backcountry's site is horrible for this, so I grabbed links for non-black options:

https://www.backcountry.com/the-nor...=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6Q2hha2FsOjE6MjpDaGFrYWw=

https://www.backcountry.com/the-nor...oIFJlc3VsdHM6UG93ZGVyZmxvOjE6MTpQb3dkZXJmbG8=

https://www.backcountry.com/burton-...zIG1lbnM6MToyOkJ1cnRvbiBjYXJnbyBwYW50cyBtZW5z

https://www.backcountry.com/mountai...=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6VG91cmVuOjE6MTpUb3VyZW4= (I'm assuming Dark Zinc is not black)

https://www.backcountry.com/the-nor...oIFJlc3VsdHM6U2xhc2hiYWNrOjE6MTpTbGFzaGJhY2s=

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
To get a quick idea which brands make shorter versions, just go to an auction site and type in "ski pants short." Even if you don't find any in the size / color you want, it will give you an idea what brands to look for once new stock is in stores in August.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You've got people telling you that it IS difficult. Believe them.

Of your links the only ones that might fit me were all black except for one pair. Those were purple. Since beggars can't be choosers I actually will consider this pair even though on first glance the color looks ugly to me. Even assuming the color was acceptable there's no guarantee at all that those will fit my body even if I were to order them. Been there done that and no it's not at all easy to find a pair of pants that fit, in the color I want, and with the features I want.

FIG.jpg
As is any other purchase. Like I said, I'm 5'6.5" and am well aware of the challenges finding something that isn't too compromised only people here have been making it sound outright impossible, as though there are zero options.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Need hems shortened 3-4 inches on my new ski pants. Legs possibly taken in as well. Before I call local tailors around my area, I am trying to get a sense of whether or not I should even proceed. Taped seams, Keprotec boot cuffs, Micro seams etc. will probably complicate the process I assume.

I posed this question to my pro seamstress wife. She suggested walking into your best local sewing machine store, and asking there. They will probably have a recommendation for a local person that is skilled in tailoring high quality outdoor clothing.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I posed this question to my pro seamstress wife. She suggested walking into your best local sewing machine store, and asking there. They will probably have a recommendation for a local person that is skilled in tailoring high quality outdoor clothing.

OK, I just have to ask. Your "best local sewing machine store"? Do we actually have these still in major cities? What stores carry sewing machines where you could talk to knowledgeable people?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
OK, I just have to ask. Your "best local sewing machine store"? Do we actually have these still in major cities? What stores carry sewing machines where you could talk to knowledgeable people?

Fabric shop aka sewing centre.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Fair question. We live in small town USA, and our sewing store closed a few years ago.

Now we have to venture into Gotham (aka Portland) to Montavilla's, which is still holding the line of brick and mortar sew and vac store!

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I am late to this thread but wanted to chime and let you know that there is a tailor shop in Seattle certified by Gortex. Rain City Repair can hem seam and tape Gortex and other waterproof items so that they are good as new and do not leak. They know what they are doing and do not void the warranty for Gortex clothing. That said they are expensive so always worth balancing the cost of the alterations vs. buying something that fits without the need even if it is more expensive.

Sponsor

Staff online