• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Vincent_Diesel

Booting up
Skier
Need hems shortened 3-4 inches on my new ski pants. Legs possibly taken in as well. Before I call local tailors around my area, I am trying to get a sense of whether or not I should even proceed. Taped seams, Keprotec boot cuffs, Micro seams etc. will probably complicate the process I assume.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What pants?
Got pic?

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
Need hems shortened 3-4 inches on my new ski pants. Legs possibly taken in as well.

question is how much were your pants worth and how much more do you want to spend? Versus buying a new pair that also comes in short size

I've heard of these mythical short inseam pants but have never found them in the wild. If I found any that fit I'd buy three pair so I never need look again. At this point I'd probably even massively overpay but when I looked earlier this season I couldn't find a pair that fit at any price.

RainyPass is a possibility to do the work remotely but what I'd like is a real person in person to get them tailored. Summit County had one woman listed that did that work for some ski teams but I had no luck making contact last time I tried. Her name is Holly Robb and below is a link to the story where they describe her work:

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/local/business-is-booming-for-breckenridge-seamstress/

Good luck with your quest!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
question is how much were your pants worth and how much more do you want to spend?
Versus buying a new pair that also comes in short size
Excellent point however IME @5'6.5", the Short length option is not always equal from one size to the next, i.e., size Small Short 28" inseam, Medium Short 30" or even 31" inseam. A spec almost impossible to find short of actually finding and trying the garment at a brick and mortar.
Also, the size jump from one to the next is often huge, i.e., I "just" fit the size small, gain 3 lbs and forget it, the size medium, sky diving pants!
That said, I consider outer layers of ski kit perishable items, prefer to take my time and try to find something off the shelf, and on sale!

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I had a pair of ski pants tailored this fall. Guy did a great job and only charged me about $20 or so. (I forgot.)
He actually let them out in the back. Found a nice piece of black similar material to the very nice OR pants and inserted a triangular piece that looks fantastic.

Also had the same guy repair a ski bag's zipper for $10.

Find some small one-person shop.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
I’ve often wondered why ski pants seem impossibly long. I’m a 36/30, which is a little short legged, but not uncommon. Most ski pants that fit my waist are easily four inches long in the leg. Apart from ruining my pant hems by walking on them, they frequently get clipped in to my rear bindings.

I know, first world problems.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am lucky to have a small place very near my house that sews sporting gear. Its called Sport Sewing. I always need to have pants shortened. They know how all the technical apparel is put together, and how it comes apart, and how to alter them. They do warranty work for all the major brands sold at the sports retailers as well. Their pricing is expensive , or reasonable, depending on your perspective. They charge about $80 to have pants hemmed, depending on complexity.
Perhaps a Google search will reveal a similar shop near you

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Short ski pants are typically only available in black. So if you want any other color, you're also SOL. I did find some Mountain Hardwear pants years ago that were available in a short length and not black, but I was recently looking again and didn't find anything.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Nothing technical about shortening, I think any tailor could do it. Just cut, fold over and sew.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Of course if it needs to be shortened so much that it comes up to a zipper or the powder cuffs, that's a different story.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Nothing technical about shortening, I think any tailor could do it. Just cut, fold over and sew.
It really does require more than that for a professional job. I did more than that and I'm not a professional, by any stretch. You have to consider the gaiter, the lining, the trim, those patches of stuff on the bottom that reduce cuts from skis, zippers or snaps at the bottom, etc.

In some cases, it is easier to shorten them at the knee, or maybe just below, instead of working through all of the other elements.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
short sizes ive found you have to ordrt direct from the brand website, in early season (e.g. direct from tnf, pata, mtn hw) and paying close to MSRP. but yes typically black only, and same as with the regular sizing fit is all over the place.

still yea you may need to take action when walking like using the elastic to rollup and cuff your pants etc etc.

Im lucky enough to have found a pair of tnf nfz pants in short which have a feature of a ribbon in the side pockets that go all the way down and can pull up the hems and help give some free adjustment to the length. great feature, I think discontinued though and didnt survive to current models

Last edited:

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
I haven't tech packed any insulated pants, so this is totally off the top of my head & could be a misfire! If they're an insulated pair with inner lining & outer shell, they might've been constructed by sewing the ankle openings together inside out & then flipping, which usually means you have to take the waistband off to open them up & get to the original ankle seam. If 3"-4" would require moving the powder gaiter, that's usually attached to the lining & would almost definitely require a rip-n-flip. In general, there's a hell of a lot of weird detail work around the ankle of most ski pants, which isn't necessarily straightforward to shift up, depending on how the original pattern was cut. I would think a lot of tailors could cobble together something & more-or-less seam seal it, if the gaiter doesn't need to move, but I don't know that I would risk letting a random local tailor experiment on a good pair of ski pants if they haven't taken any apart before. You'd probably be better off shipping them out to someone who specializes.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Most of my pants are insulated. They are "articulated". Which mean they are tapered to the knee and flared out again to accommodate the bulk of the ski boot cuff.
They usually have a seam across the knee to taper the pants at that point. Opening the knee seam allows for shortening the pants without messing with all the complexities that exist at the hem. Also when similar amount of material is removed from above and below the knee will allow the line of the garment to remain.

TS
V

Vincent_Diesel

Booting up
Skier
question is how much were your pants worth and how much more do you want to spend?
Versus buying a new pair that also comes in short size

I found a great deal on 500.00 MSRP pants for 150.00 new. Even if I have to put in 100.00 for a professional tailoring job I think it'd be worth it still–of course having them done right.

Last edited:

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
I’ve often wondered why ski pants seem impossibly long. I’m a 36/30, which is a little short legged, but not uncommon. Most ski pants that fit my waist are easily four inches long in the leg. Apart from ruining my pant hems by walking on them, they frequently get clipped in to my rear bindings.

I know, first world problems.
Me..I blame it on jibbers and park rats! My pants always used to fit!;)

TS
V

Vincent_Diesel

Booting up
Skier
It would be easier to grow to 6'4" (the height you need to be for ski pants to be the correct length). I think you'll be disappointed by the results.

Yea it would be awesome if they mad a L-XL pant with a 30 inch inseam. I've tried on many pairs of pants to settle on a Large from one company that just felt a bit roomier than the others. Still have the pants but just a touch too snug.

Sponsor

Staff online