Anybody have tailoring done to ski pants?

Discussion in 'Softgoods: Clothing, Helmets, Goggles, and More' started by Vincent_Diesel, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski Making fresh tracks Skier

I have this problem all the time. Often the Brick and Mortar stores don't carry the short lengths but the manufacturers do have them on their website. So no outlet store sale prices.

What complicates it most is the tapering at the bottom and the zippers. As mentioned above, it needs to be done at the knee to be done well.

Not true. Not with waterproofed and articulated seams. I sew - and have costumed entire theatrical productions myself - but I do not touch my own technical gear. However, I am not a tailor. I think any good tailor can look at it, measure you, take it apart and put it back together just fine.

John Webb, raytseng and VickieH like this.
  2. Jilly

Jilly Lead Cougar Skier

Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
    Penney (aka geargrrl) the lady at specialty outdoor will also make sure your seams are sealed. The average tailor cannot do that. She has posted some interesting alterations on her facebook page.

Vincent_Diesel, VickieH and raytseng like this.
  3. raytseng

raytseng Out on the slopes Skier

agree, i had 1 panel on a finger of a leather ski glove seam starting to come apart so I put in 2 stitches to pull it together AND seamsealed tbe the repair with seamgrip but when i tested it after by making some snowballs it leaked unlike the other glove. takes technical skill to not puncture the goretex or waterproof sheets and maintain waterproofing.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    John Webb likes this.
  4. Thread Starter
    TS
    Vincent_Diesel

Vincent_Diesel Booting up Skier

Boston.

5. neonorchid

neonorchid Out on the slopes Skier

6. John Webb

John Webb mdskier Skier

Absolutely shortening at the knee is the simple way to go. I had 2 pairs shortened at the knee (about 6 inches) by a Silver Spring Md tailor. $25 for first. 3 years later $50 for 2nd.
    Only downside is the Goretex has an opening so if it rains hard a bit of water gets in below the knee.

Trying to seam seal is a whole new ball of wax at a much higher price.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    VickieH likes this.
  7. John Webb

John Webb mdskier Skier

Grrr also same here !

No, My eye never sees any. Only once did I find one short pair and it was black- a color I can't stand. Would love to replace my tattered blue Helly Hanson short pants that are becoming prehistoric but can find no short sizes. Tried Arc'teryx regular pants in Park City -worst fitting pants ever, not just the obvious length problem but were super baggy "relaxed" fit in upper leg. Need to nail what fits in a store before going online.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    VickieH likes this.
  8. crgildart

crgildart Gravity Slave Skier

I face a similar dilemma. Put on 40 pounds after I quit smoking 20 years ago, I'm now a size large in the waist but a size M in the length. My size large pants gradually just tailor them selves with the bottoms getting shredded by my edges and catching on ski brakes, etc..I flip up the bottoms making a temporary cuff for walking to/from the car.

9. skix

skix Getting off the lift Skier

You've got people telling you that it IS difficult. Believe them.

Of your links the only ones that might fit me were all black except for one pair. Those were purple. Since beggars can't be choosers I actually will consider this pair even though on first glance the color looks ugly to me. Even assuming the color was acceptable there's no guarantee at all that those will fit my body even if I were to order them. Been there done that and no it's not at all easy to find a pair of pants that fit, in the color I want, and with the features I want.

[​IMG]

John Webb likes this.
  10. VickieH

VickieH Out on the slopes Skier

Duct tape doesn't stick to Gore-Tex? Who knew ... :huh:

John Webb likes this.
  11. VickieH

VickieH Out on the slopes Skier

It's not purple! It's FIG!

I looked at a couple of sites to see what's what. Peter Glenn has a few in Short length and they're easy to find since they have a filter for it.

Backcountry's site is horrible for this, so I grabbed links for non-black options:

https://www.backcountry.com/the-nor...=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6Q2hha2FsOjE6MjpDaGFrYWw=

https://www.backcountry.com/the-nor...oIFJlc3VsdHM6UG93ZGVyZmxvOjE6MTpQb3dkZXJmbG8=

https://www.backcountry.com/burton-...zIG1lbnM6MToyOkJ1cnRvbiBjYXJnbyBwYW50cyBtZW5z

https://www.backcountry.com/mountai...=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6VG91cmVuOjE6MTpUb3VyZW4= (I'm assuming Dark Zinc is not black)

https://www.backcountry.com/the-nor...oIFJlc3VsdHM6U2xhc2hiYWNrOjE6MTpTbGFzaGJhY2s=

12. skix

skix Getting off the lift Skier

Must be what my problem is then. I usually like purple but could not have told you what color is fig. Kind of growing on me though.

13. skiki

skiki Booting up Skier

To get a quick idea which brands make shorter versions, just go to an auction site and type in "ski pants short." Even if you don't find any in the size / color you want, it will give you an idea what brands to look for once new stock is in stores in August.

VickieH likes this.
  14. neonorchid

As is any other purchase. Like I said, I'm 5'6.5" and am well aware of the challenges finding something that isn't too compromised only people here have been making it sound outright impossible, as though there are zero options.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  15. neonorchid

16. Tom K.

Tom K. HRPufnStf Skier

I posed this question to my pro seamstress wife. She suggested walking into your best local sewing machine store, and asking there. They will probably have a recommendation for a local person that is skilled in tailoring high quality outdoor clothing.

17. Noodler

Noodler My win/win/win for 2020: Ikon/LL/A-Basin Skier

OK, I just have to ask. Your "best local sewing machine store"? Do we actually have these still in major cities? What stores carry sewing machines where you could talk to knowledgeable people?

18. DanoT

DanoT RVer-Skier Skier

Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
    Fabric shop aka sewing centre.

19. Tom K.

Tom K. HRPufnStf Skier

Fair question. We live in small town USA, and our sewing store closed a few years ago.

Now we have to venture into Gotham (aka Portland) to Montavilla's, which is still holding the line of brick and mortar sew and vac store!

20. dovski

dovski Getting off the lift Skier

I am late to this thread but wanted to chime and let you know that there is a tailor shop in Seattle certified by Gortex. Rain City Repair can hem seam and tape Gortex and other waterproof items so that they are good as new and do not leak. They know what they are doing and do not void the warranty for Gortex clothing. That said they are expensive so always worth balancing the cost of the alterations vs. buying something that fits without the need even if it is more expensive.

neonorchid likes this.