• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Spaztic

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I followed a link to SnowSki, an online retailer: (link removed by admin)

Anybody bought from them?

The clearance prices seem way too low to be reasonable, and they have a lot of stock that is otherwise sold out everywhere.

Something seems fishy.

Last edited by a moderator:

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
If it's legit, I may need to up my quiver by 2 - 5 more...

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Nah fishy? Why would you think so? ;) I would say $59 for brand new Rossi FIS SL skis is normal price ;)

PS: In case someone doesn't understand sarcasm... you go and shop there if you want to throw money away. If you actually want to receive skis and boots for money you paid, go elsewhere ;)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I followed a link to SnowSki, an online retailer: (link removed by admin)

Anybody bought from them?

The clearance prices seem way too low to be reasonable, and they have a lot of stock that is otherwise sold out everywhere.

Something seems fishy.

Seems fraudulent:

Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 2.13.25 PM.png

Legit specs (from EVO)

Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 2.14.24 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
Spaztic

Spaztic

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Did some sleuthing:

upload_2018-11-3_13-49-0.png

Registered to someone in China on October 26, this year.

But the site is registered in Vancouver, BC.

Scam.

Last edited:

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
The site is completely fake and will surely rip you off either by stealing your CC/identity info or perhaps infecting your PC/laptop/tablet/phone with malware. I browsed the site with the Noscript addon active (I always have it on nowadays). I'm willing to bet that if you tried to actually buy something on the site, you'd get a pop-up telling you need to download some sort of a helper app to handle payment. That app would be 100% malware.

Stupid low pricing aside, the "about us" page is a big clue because it's virtually inert. Another glowing red flag is the 1st few lines in the FAQ page:

1. How can the prices are far below market price ?
The answer is that we are offering Procurement Service : to buy on someone's behalf. We have aguarantee of quality , and for 10 days (from the date products were received ) , if you find the products with quality problems (Non- human factors or non- resistant external damage ) , it can be returned and exchanged.

The last part of the FAQ (from #9 on) is another big red flag. In fact, the whole FAQ is the equivalent of a big flashing "WE ARE SCAMMERS AND ALL YOUR $$$ ARE BELONG TO US" - what with all the typos, awkward sentences and vague/confusing descriptions.

But a big clue to me that the site is a scam is in the pic below.

[hint: what's the longest length K2 produces the TC in?]

weareskiing_k2tc.png

In fact, many of the skis on the site list sizes that don't exist.

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Holy cow. That’s crazy.
I mean, they are kind of dumb (or naive) scammers, to list ski sizes that are nonexistent; never mind the unrealistic low prices.

So, in the menu bar on the top of the page of the page in that screenshot, where the ski brands are listed..what is “Toni Sailer?”

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can deliver! However fret not on your credit card as I will take cash or a Western Union Money order!

but really, good idea to ping others and do some digging yourself!

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
C'mon..........someone take the plunge and buy something. And let us know how it turns out :roflmao:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Holy cow. That’s crazy.
I mean, they are kind of dumb (or naive) scammers, to list ski sizes that are nonexistent; never mind the unrealistic low prices.

So, in the menu bar on the top of the page of the page in that screenshot, where the ski brands are listed..what is “Toni Sailer?”
"The first successful all-fiberglass ski was the Toni Sailer ski in 1959. Art Molnar and Fred Langendorf invented and built the ski in nearby Montreal. There had been other attempts to build all fiberglass (plastic) skis starting as early as 1952, but none had made it into production."

https://retro-skiing.com/2011/02/sailer-skis/

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
An expensive winter clothing brand.

Huh. Never heard of them. Nevertheless, even knowing that now, and with @François Pugh’s background info, it seems like a random thing thrown in there on that site with all the major mass-market ski brands.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not so sure I like Pugski having a link to that site. My spidey sense says it could leave breadcrumbs for spammers to find us.
@Dwight your thoughts are appreciated.

I removed the link.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If it look like a fish. Smells like a fish. Even though it quacks like a duck.
It's probably a fish.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not so sure I like Pugski having a link to that site. My spidey sense says it could leave breadcrumbs for spammers to find us.
@Dwight your thoughts are appreciated.

I removed the link.
Was it adsense?