• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Just curious, I've hiked around this time of year before but since we had an excellent snow year is there any snow anywhere in New England or the Gaspe as of August 20?

Obviously I don't mean skiable snow but are there still some gully caches around Tuckermans or at the base of slides? Or is entirely clean of last season's snow 100%?

How far North would you have to go to find some? Labrador? Way upper Quebec? Terra Incognito?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
A long way! :D Ontario is kinda miserable that way..just using it as a corollary for the other areas..in that it gets freakin hot in the summer. My buddy goes moose huntin up a couple of hundred kms south of Hudson Bay in mid October it can be high 20C's and humid. I always say I like fall and usually you're good..put a sweater on..but sometimes, uck. Iqaluit probably gets snow in the summer months but it also can climb up above 20C. And they don't get scads of snow..it just happens to stick around all winter so it looks like they get a lot. Ungava...maybe..northern Lab up near Torngat..probably get some snow up there..hit and miss. Same thing, there are some remarkably warm stretches. That's the problem with Canada..10 months of winter and 2 months of sweat and mosquitoes!!

TS
Frankly

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
10 months of winter and 2 months of sweat and mosquitoes!!

We were in the Finger Lakes of NY hiking yesterday and the skeeters were crazy, usually this isn't a buggy time at all but the creeks are still running, etc.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
Uhh, Google maps shows not a damned bit of snow cover until you hit glaciers at 65* N latitude. I guess Pannirtung, Nunavut is your ticket. Only 1500 miles North of Burlington.

MadPatSki

Putting on skis
Skier
Just curious, I've hiked around this time of year before but since we had an excellent snow year is there any snow anywhere in New England or the Gaspe as of August 20?

Obviously I don't mean skiable snow but are there still some gully caches around Tuckermans or at the base of slides? Or is entirely clean of last season's snow 100%?

How far North would you have to go to find some? Labrador? Way upper Quebec? Terra Incognito?

DSC_0589.JPG

This is about at latitude 57N and then I didn't see much of the ground or snow partially due to cloud cover.

Coming back from Iceland on August 2 we flew over Labrador and there was still a number of patches of snow. I think I saw a picture on a tiny bit of leftover snow August 1 turn(s) in the East. I think it was the remains of snowpark at Stowe. Pretty sure nothing is left in the Gaspe. Many patches (and glaciers) in Iceland. :P

Last edited:

Gaby

aka Noofus
Skier
I have been in Tuckerman's Ravine in August before and found patches of icy stuff hanging out in the cracks and crevices that face north. Not many, mind you, but they are there if you look in the right places

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There's white rocks ice bed trail along the Long Trail in Vermont. We hiked to the cliffs instead so I didn't personally see the ice beds - I think the ice is deep withing the rocks. It's an easy/moderate hike with pretty nice views.

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
Some posted about skiing a patch in Tahoe area on FB and a friend of mine hiked to some snow patches in Colorado that he skied. Said it was not pretty but he got August turns.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Some posted about skiing a patch in Tahoe area on FB and a friend of mine hiked to some snow patches in Colorado that he skied. Said it was not pretty but he got August turns.
Neither are the NorthEast. Friend that I had pre-eclipse dinner with last Sunday in Bend hiked and skied Bachelor today. There are also still patches around Tahoe. But neither of these are the NorthEast.

Uhh, Google maps shows not a damned bit of snow cover until you hit glaciers at 65* N latitude. I guess Pannirtung, Nunavut is your ticket. Only 1500 miles North of Burlington.
Last I heard, Google was not taking daily (or even monthly) pictures for their maps.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
Last I heard, Google was not taking daily (or even monthly) pictures for their maps.

Yes, but they do tell you when the photo was taken, and where possible, they take photos in Summer without snow cover. I reached the above conclusion by looking at photos taken in July. Considering how exceptional it would be to have August snow at New England elevations, I don't think my statement terribly contentious.

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
Neither are the NorthEast. Friend that I had pre-eclipse dinner with last Sunday in Bend hiked and skied Bachelor today. There are also still patches around Tahoe. But neither of these are the NorthEast.

Opps - ya Northeast - I have nothing.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
King Ravine on Mt. Adams, New Hampshire has the Ice Caves. It's not really a cave, just a little scramble around / under / etc. some massive boulders. The "horizontally challenged" shouldn't try... ;) I've seen little patches of ice surviving in there in August, tucked in some little corner that probably gets about five minutes of sunlight all year.

If you were to find something frozen anywhere in the Northeast USA during the late summer / early Fall months, that's where I'd bet on finding it.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
There's white rocks ice bed trail along the Long Trail in Vermont. We hiked to the cliffs instead so I didn't personally see the ice beds - I think the ice is deep withing the rocks. It's an easy/moderate hike with pretty nice views.

Ice is in the rocks deep, but some is usually viable until June.

Btw, I'm one of the homes on the way to the picnic area.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
I'm fairly sure Tuckerman's has been skied in August. My bet would be 1997, when Mt. Washington had 410 inches, 96 of it in May. FYI this year at 396 inches (41 in May) was the highest snow year since then.