• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any shooters here?

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
How about blind shooting? Uses an acoustic sight system. Check out the five shot groups at the end!

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I hunt so that occasionally involves shootingogsmile or not:huh:. I used shoot Sporting Clays competitively (relatively). Made it up to B class before the kids were born and the pot of money dried up.

TS
Frankly

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
IMG_9969.JPG

Been shooting something new... SW 627 PC w Nils Grips and action job, converted to DA only. 357 x 8 N frame.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 27627

Been shooting something new... SW 627 PC w Nils Grips and action job, converted to DA only. 357 x 8 N frame.
Very nice. When I shot PPC I used my SW 686 L frame that I personal tuned as follows.

4 position front sight (included), pachmyer grips, speed cylinder release, barrel wt, wolf spring kit for increased lock time, trigger stop, tuned action (lots of time spent here), and bobbed hammer for double action only and to increase lock time. All carried in an Ernie Hill rig.

I would suggest Breakfree CLP as the lubricant and cleaner. Smooths action, reduces fouling and eases cleaning.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Season is running down. Shot the Marine Corps League match for the first time yesterday. Did OK, probably in the top 10. Dropped a couple points that I REALLY shouldnt have.

2 week from now its a Garand Springfield Vintage match on Sat and EIC (across the course AR) on Sun and then clean the competition stuff and put them up for a few months. The worktable goes from a gun cleaning table to a hunting stuff table to later be a ski waxing table.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I've been able to find good working examples of two of my favorite 19th century cartridge shotguns. Love the old guns! External hammer, takedown pump guns.
Marlin 1898, made in 1902, 2-1/2" black powder only
1898 take down.JPG

Winchester 1897, made in 1924, 2-3/4" smokeless

02.jpg

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just recently gave my Winchester 1200 (pump) with a full forestock and WinChokes to my nephew, to replace it a Beretta 685 OU.

Still looking for an Itacha Pump or Browning Pump with bottom ejection.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Lovin the 1897. I saw a mod 12 in 16 ga at a LGS. I had just bought a 20 to go along with the bird dog or it would have come home.... and I dont care for shotguns that much.
You like old?? Old and greasy is my thing
99sav1.jpg 99sav5.jpg
Picked up a 99 in 300 Savage recently with a Lyman 4x scope. Group is 200 yds with factory Hornady. I actually had someone tell me I needed to "Put a tree ta nine Loopold on dere an you will be ready for deer." I said I think I might be OK.
trapd3.jpg
One of the best kept trapdoors I have seen was for sale.
and a grail gun. A 6mm Lee Navy in full mil configuration. I even found brass, dies and AMMO for it.
leenavy.jpg

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I like shooting the .22 Small bore fifty foot target at 50yds. Call it "old man's prone" An elbow on the bench, sitting down. Sometimes they all stay in the black Oh, That's with peeps! These old eyes can do it when "everything is right.

Mostly I like the high power. Our range only goes 100 yards, but that .308 CRACKS a good hit (just like a flyer ;-)
Aim small. miss small.

Not into pistols at all. Mayhem machines with only one real purpose.

Popping clays are OK, but I'll take a wing of Teal while standing knee deep in a slough on a sunny day . Five seconds of real life!

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Lovin the 1897. I saw a mod 12 in 16 ga at a LGS. I had just bought a 20 to go along with the bird dog or it would have come home.... and I dont care for shotguns that much.
You like old?? Old and greasy is my thing
View attachment 29358 View attachment 29359
Picked up a 99 in 300 Savage recently with a Lyman 4x scope. Group is 200 yds with factory Hornady. I actually had someone tell me I needed to "Put a tree ta nine Loopold on dere an you will be ready for deer." I said I think I might be OK.
View attachment 29360
One of the best kept trapdoors I have seen was for sale.
and a grail gun. A 6mm Lee Navy in full mil configuration. I even found brass, dies and AMMO for it.
View attachment 29362

I've also got a Savage 99 in 300 Savage. Mine is sporting a Lyman flip up peep sight in the back. They are beautiful guns and I love that the rotary magazine gives you better ballistic choices!

Jimdh

Putting on skis
Skier
Glad to see skiers enjoying the shooting sports. I used to trapshoot a bunch; made it to the 27, had a bunch of 100's in singles, but didn't shoot doubles well. Now my wife and I shoot some trap after ski season and before it gets too hot. Love to hunt pheasants and the most fun hunting was with youth groups where I didn't carry a gun and just worked with the kids and dog.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Not a gun guy much, but am in the process of getting a couple of our family's pieces sent out and will certainly consider deer and elk season... I like venison, what can I say? ogsmile Funny thing was, I thought my dad had sold them a few years back.

First is a Winchester 1917 30.06 with an Enfield post war stock. Sort of interesting history about the rebuilds that Enfield did with the Winchester actions and barrels immediately after WWI and their 'import' back to the States*.
Second is a Winchester 1897 12 like a couple of you have up above... serial # is an 1906 build date.

Both were my grandfather's. My dad didn't shoot them much, but often loaned them to friends. I shot both a few times as a kid, but need to start the learning process over again. There's a .22 somewhere at my mom's place that I couldn't find though. Sure it's around, just need to dig in a bit to find it.

* to the best of my research and understanding.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My oldest is a M95 Styer push/pull bolt in 8x56R, drives tacks with open sights, newest 30-06 REM 783 impressive considering the low cost.