• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any shooters here?

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My father kept his when he retired from the military. I shot it once, not a lot of experience shooting big pistols. What I read when researching it was that the 1911s aren't all that accurate beyond 50 feet. Is that true compared to modern guns, and if so more true (less accurate) than say a long barrel revolver from the same period?

A quality competition grade 1911 in .45 should shoot a 2" five shot group at 50 yards, not 50'

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
A quality competition grade 1911 in .45 should shoot a 2" five shot group at 50 yards, not 50'
Perhaps what I read was only applicable to average shooters. What I recall is that the gun had way more kick than a 38. My group in 5 quick shots would be way bigger than with a 38.

Might be shopping soon. North Kakalaki is about to make it easier to buy handguns than it is to buy firecrackers. Only an instant background check at licensed dealers and NOTHING at gun shows to buy handguns pretty soon.. no longer requiring a handgun permit of any kind to purchase handguns Gonna be crazy..

Reactions: mdf

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A 2" group at 50 yards is from a ransom rest to test the guns accuracy. It is essentially in a vise.

Shooter error typically makes for larger groups.

Note: not all 1911's are equal. I am a competition shooter and our custom guns are super accurate.... They also cost $3000

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
shooter-mcgavin.jpg

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Note: not all 1911's are equal. I am a competition shooter and our custom guns are super accurate.... They also cost $3000

IMG_2186.JPG

This Volkmann Precision is better than 2" at 50 yards. A friend just paid $5K for it and says it was a steal at that price -- even with the hideous grips, which have since been replaced. This gun has the finest pistol trigger I've ever touched off.

TS
Frankly

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
20170602_atlastitan2011pistol_0209.jpg

My Made in Vermont Atlas Titan 2011... based on the the 106-year old 1911 design. A few minor changes since then ;-p Aluminum grips do not move in your hand.

Offhand I am lucky to hit the paper at 50 yards but that's because the target looks like blob. I know the gun can outshoot me. At more common 5-10-25 yards I can blast bullseyes out and it is all the gun because even my upgraded Glock with a KKM barrel shoots groups twice as large.

It's actually pretty boring unless you compete, there is little challenge with plinking it. I just bought a Smith and Wesson Performance Center 627 revolver to give myself something new to learn.

I think crgildart is referring to a standard 1911 service pistol, which can be a great gun but they were never made with the intent of target shooting. Like anything given to millions of soldiers it was made to hit a low price point, not maintained very well, barrel fit was sloppy on purpose, trigger pull high so people didn't shoot themselves by accident, etc. Still fun to shoot and nobody argues with a 45. I like the metal patina too.

To put it in skateboard terms the old 1911 is an Oak Torger Johnson Logan EarthSki with gummy Kryptonics.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
wait draughtguy is a pro comp shooter?

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
High power and games matches. All three kids are going with me to Camp Perry this year. The daughters are shooting games matches and the son and I are shooting games and trophy. The way they have the sced set up this year the son and I are shooting the trophy individual (200 offhand, and sitting rapid fire, 300 prone rapid fire from standing and 600 prone slow fire) and a buddy of mine is my teammate for the Hearst doubles (200 offhand, 300 rapid prone, and 600 slow prone). The trophy matches are service rifle so the son is using the NMA2 and since they allowed optics, I went to a A4. (AR-15's) The opens were still OK at 200 and 300 yards, but at 600 my eyes just couldnt do it. The daughters and the son and I are heading back out to shoot the Springfield (200yd offhand, rapid fire prone from standing and slow fire prone) and vintage Sniper (all prone 300 and 600 yards). I have a backyard range out to 200 with a steel set up for offhand.

Daughter and her 03 springfield
samspr2016A_zps4rvfxa9p.jpg

Offhand with a 03A3 http://vid657.photobucket.com/albums/uu295/Varmintmist/awfulhand_zpsjffuorab.mp4

Son with a carbine
Mattcarb2015_zpstl63wfe9.jpg

One of me shooting a Krag in a Vintage match
0042_CMPSpringfield6Aug10.jpg

As for hunting, this has been the go to when the weather isnt complete garbage
Barngun_zpspm4pqpte.jpg

As far as 1911's go, they were made to hit a man sized target at 50 yards, and unless the shooter is incompetent, or the pistol is trashed, it will do it. Wayyyy back when I shot my first pistol in the Corps, it was shall we say, well used? I had no problems keeping center of mass with it having never shot a handgun of any sort ever before. My wife's preference is a 1911A1 and there is a reason that straying is never a long lived thought in my mind. If you buy a current half decent off the shelf 1911 of any flavor in these days of CNC machining, you should be able to hold hand sized groups at 25 yards taking your time and aiming with minimal effort.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Got back from the first trip to Camp Perry this year, I am making two vacations out of it this year. Son and I shot the individual (NTI) and I shot the Hearst doubles with me shootin buddy. First time shooting the individual. My goal was to break the 50% mark and I didnt make it. Each position is 10 shots with a possible 100 except for 600yds which is 2 10 shot strings totaled. Shot a 85 offhand which is about 6 off my avg, 95 sitting rapid (both at 200) which is about norm for me, 97 prone rapid (@300) about norm, and then missed the wind calls at 600. Shot a miss first and a 79 for the first 10 which is about 10 points under norm, and a 91 for the second 10 which is about avg.
It helped that a cute little 14 y/o girl shooting on the next firing point was cleaning my clock to. :) Lots of juniors and a lot of ladies.

In the Hearst it is a team match where you pair fire, 2 shooters on the same target for the slow fire stages, Slow offhand at 200, rapid prone at 300 and slow prone at 600. I choked again even worse offhand. A 83. Took 6 shots to pull my head out and then I shot 3 - 10's and a 9. I then shot the best group at 300 rapid I ever have. Easily covered by a large baked bean can lid ....... right where I bumped my windage to about 10 inches right. 2 - 8's and 8 sevens. Scoring ring is about 2 inches wide. 600 was nothing to write home about either.
However, the individual wasnt awful, for me, and I learned a lot about reading wind and doping the sights to correspond.
Headed back Sun to shoot old iron with all of the kids. Nice short range 200 yd stuff on Sun and 300 and 600 fun match with big bullets on Mon.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
There's no substitute for young eyes.
Talent would help :D

Did better in round two. Took all the kids out for games matches. Daughter #1 and Son and I shot the Springfield match. Daughter choked, son shot OK, not as well as he can but OK. I shot a 97 prone, and it went downhill from there. 89 Rapid and a abysmal 79 offhand.
However...
Next day we shot the vintage sniper. WW2 period correct sniper rifles fired at 300 and 600. 300 Xring is about the size of a snuff can, 10 is the size of a oatmeal lid (about 5.7 inches), 9 is 13 inches. 600, X ring is the oatmeal lid 10 is 11 inches(?) and 9 is about 18(?) its aSR-3 and a MR-1 if you are interested. http://www.pistoleer.com/shooting-targets/highpower/
The daughters shot my buddys Mosin with a Russian 3.5 PU scope, and did OK for their skill level. It was #2 daughters first match and she shot 78 and 78-1X, D#1 shot a 86-1x and a 74-1x. Its not the best rifle around but I have shot it into the high 80's at 600.

My normal shootin bud is headed to Alaska so I pulled the son up to the majors and he brought his game face. I built a 1903A4 with a period correct 2.5x scope and it is a pretty good build. He shot a 97-4X at 300 and I held us back with a 94-0x. I got into it better for 600, doped the wind right and put up a 97-2X and he put up a 92-1X. Made us 26th out of 197 entered. I was pretty happy and I think my son fired my shooting buddy.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I find that 1911's accuracy (besides tricked out and tuned ones) depends on load and how the gun fits your hand. Good load for a particular gun makes a huge difference. The second is straightgrip or curved grip, one always fits better than the other.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well guys, you inspired me to go to the range last weekend.ogwink Must be more than 15 years since I last fired anything.....and yes, you do get really rusty!!! :(

Sponsor