• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
i am looking at taking a spring break trip with my daughter. This will be her first ski trip out west. We are both advanced skiers. I am pretty open to anywhere inside the US. I just want to find the place that will have best coverage and value. I've been to Keystone and think that would be nice but after the epic ski disaster I'm not keen on Vail resorts. Maybe other suggestions in Colorado. Like I said open to anywhere. Would Bachelor be a good option? Only challenge is flights suck to get in there but other than that it looks good.

Thsnks in advance for any suggestions.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll weigh in with my "inaugural" post with a suggestion. Recently for school/sports reasons, my family and I have been taking our annual ski trips over Easter so I am familiar with this early April timeframe.

Here are some trips to suggest based on our positive experiences with conditions/weather and overall satisfaction during this time.

- Mammoth (Mammoth Village condo)
-Squaw/Alpine (Incline Village condo)

-Alta/Snowbird (Alta condo)
-Solitude/Brighton (Soli village)

I hope that helps. Just a warning, this first trip will begin one of many trips..:thumb:

TS
Ohioskier

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'll weigh in with my "inaugural" post with a suggestion. Recently for school/sports reasons, my family and I have been taking our annual ski trips over Easter so I am familiar with this early April timeframe.

Here are some trips to suggest based on our positive experiences with conditions/weather and overall satisfaction during this time.

- Mammoth (Mammoth Village condo)
-Squaw/Alpine (Incline Village condo)

-Alta/Snowbird (Alta condo)
-Solitude/Brighton (Soli village)

I hope that helps. Just a warning, this first trip will begin one of many trips..:thumb:

It definitely will be first of many. I will have to check into pricing for airfare etc. all of these resorts are going to be huge upgrades and sure we will have fine. What are snow conditions typically in early April?

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
It's still winter in Alberta in April! Lake Louise and Sunshine Village are sure bets early April. The snow is still winter snow, and temps aren't frigid. They're both usually open until 3rd weekend in May. And with the favourable exchange rate, they're good for American visitors. If you're coming from Ohio, its usually easy to transfer either via Denver, Chicago or Minneapolis to Calgary. There are at least 4-5 flights per day from Calgary to each of these 3 hubs.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I wasn't aware of an epic ski disaster?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The good thing about April skiing is that it can be a last minute decision. There are always deals to be had, airfare tends to be reasonable and plenty of lodging. Keep an eye in late February or early March to see who looks like will still be open and with great conditions. Reno is easy access to Squaw/Alpine and down to Mammoth. Colorado has Copper which tends to ski well at that point. Snowbird is also generally safe too come April.

TS
Ohioskier

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
@Philpug thanks for the suggestion. I will probably hold off a bit and decide. I'm sure airfare and lodging will be reasonable up to the time of travel. I can look at conditions a few weeks out and then make a decision.

@albertanskigirl I am definitely going to consider Lake Louise. Looks really nice. I told my wife that we need to get my daughter a passport just in case we go. I am gonna price out airfare and stuff but it is a definite option I didn't even think about.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
@Philpug thanks for the suggestion. I will probably hold off a bit and decide. I'm sure airfare and lodging will be reasonable up to the time of travel. I can look at conditions a few weeks out and then make a decision.

@albertanskigirl I am definitely going to consider Lake Louise. Looks really nice. I told my wife that we need to get my daughter a passport just in case we go. I am gonna price out airfare and stuff but it is a definite option I didn't even think about.

Let me know if you do decide to come this way, I'm more than happy to give suggestions on transportation, lodging etc. And don't forget you don't necessarily need a car here. There's a shuttle from the airport to Banff, and from Banff there are shuttles to all three resorts in the area - Sunshine Village, Lake Louise and Norquay.

Good luck with the search!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Colorado has Copper which tends to ski well at that point

And Loveland and A Basin!

Copper tends to start shutting down terrain the last few weeks, even when the snow is just fine. I would be leery of that in April.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Valley tends to be pretty good in early April. Seattle Ridge and the Bowls may or may not be open, depending on the snow next year.

I have skied a lot in April and later. If I had to pick one place with best probability of good conditions, it would be Alta,Snowbird.

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
i am looking at taking a spring break trip with my daughter. This will be her first ski trip out west. We are both advanced skiers. I am pretty open to anywhere inside the US. I just want to find the place that will have best coverage and value. I've been to Keystone and think that would be nice but after the epic ski disaster I'm not keen on Vail resorts. Maybe other suggestions in Colorado. Like I said open to anywhere. Would Bachelor be a good option? Only challenge is flights suck to get in there but other than that it looks good.

Thsnks in advance for any suggestions.

How advanced? And more importantly what kind of terrain are you looking for?

Mt Bachelor is great, but I think of it as a "fun" mountain, not a particularly challenging mountain for a serious steeps enthusiast.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
  1. Aspen/Snowmass
  2. Alta/Snowbird
  3. Mammoth
Hard to beat what these places offer in terms of terrain at your skill level. I can't say enough good things about Aspen.

TS
Ohioskier

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
How advanced? And more importantly what kind of terrain are you looking for?

Mt Bachelor is great, but I think of it as a "fun" mountain, not a particularly challenging mountain for a serious steeps enthusiast.

@fullStack Advanced I guess had many meanings. I don't think we are looking to jump any cliffs. I would like to turn it up a notch. I have been doing a lot of lessons and never been west after I learned to ski. I'd say we would be comfortable on any black runs and probably fine one some of the double. My daughter is far ahead of me on technique and will probably be fine with anything not rated extreme. I think bachelor would be fun but I want to let my daughter turn it up a few notches on some steeps.

Alta and snowbird seem like favorites of a lot of people. I'm going to have to look at those options.

How is Aspen late season typically?

I don't have to commit to anything early. Maybe best to just see what weather looks like a month out and then start making decisions.

TS
Ohioskier

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
@albertanskigirl Just looking at airfare costs To Calgary it is a serious option.

Is lake Louise the only ski area open during that time period?

Do you recommend any specific place to check for lodging?

Is it still winter at that time or more spring like conditions?

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
"I have been doing a lot of lessons and never been west after I learned to ski. I'd say we would be comfortable on any black runs and probably fine one some of the double. My daughter is far ahead of me on technique and will probably be fine with anything not rated extreme."

It's cliche to say around here but black runs east and west are not really the same thing... (assuming I read this correct and you haven't been west). I've been skiing black diamonds for years and finally plucked up the courage to do a double black at Mammoth last year in perfect conditions... It's pretty serious stuff.

That said, you can't go wrong with the suggestions already mentioned. I've enjoyed April skiing at A-Basin and Mammoth. Mammoth in particular has a wide array of terrain and splendid conditions that time of year. Copper is an excellent mountain for people coming west for the first time. You could fly in to Reno, Salt Lake City, or Denver and find good places to go. Just see how the winter unfolds and decide a month of two out.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
@albertanskigirl Just looking at airfare costs To Calgary it is a serious option.

Hi @Ohioskier - You'll have a choice of 3 resorts in the immediate vicinity. Lake Louise (https://www.skilouise.com/), Sunshine Village (http://www.skibanff.com/) and Norquay (http://winter.banffnorquay.com/) will all be open at that time.

Remember, it's still winter in Alberta at that time - we're quite a bit further north :) Most years, you will have spring conditions at Norquay (much lower elevation), but it will definitely be winter at Sunshine and Lake Louise. Of course, it may vary year to year...nothing is a guarantee with weather. But early April is dry winter snow. Mid-late April, snow will get more humid. But daytime temps don't go above freezing usually until early May. And some years, it's not until mid-May. Of those three resorts, Sunshine will have the best snow, due to its elevation and snow preservation. Sunshine also doesn't have really have snowmaking, so natural snow tends to ski better (in my opinion) even if it hasn't snowed in a few days. My favourite time of year to ski is March and April - it's usually also when we get the most snowfall.

I love the terrain at Lake Louise the most, but the snow at Sunshine Village is incredible! You will love it.

I would say that, in today's changing world, Alberta in April is about as snow-sure as you can get.

As for lodging - I would say it depends. One of the main factors about lodging is whether you want to rent a car or not.

If you do not rent a car, I would suggest that you stay in Banff. It's a great little town, lots of shops, restaurants, hiking, skating etc in town. And it's completely walkable, you don't need a car in town. Definitely entertaining for a week. If you have either Mountain Collective, or you buy tri-area lift tickets from online (https://www.skibig3.com/lift-tickets/), the shuttle to any of the resorts is free from Banff. The shuttles have a number of pick ups from anywhere in town. If you are looking for lodging suggestions, I would say stay on the shuttle line - where you can step out of your hotel and catch a shuttle no problem. Banff has lodging of all budget. But most of Banff is middle-of-the-road hotels, that are nicer than motels but pretty simple. Some include breakfast. I can recommend some depending on your budget. Mid-range and on the shuttle line would be: Banff Aspen Lodge, Ptarmigan Inn, High Country Inn, Brewster's Mountain Inn, Banff Park Lodge. I would recommend those because they are all close to the shuttle, and mid-range. High Country Inn I believe also has a kitchenette option -so if you want to make some breakfast or lunches in the room, that would be a good place (if the rooms are available). A more expensive option on the shuttle line would be the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel (very fancy!), with afternoon tea and an amazing outdoor hot pool that looks onto the beautiful mountains. And it has the BEST spa on the planet, and baths. They usually have an amazing winter mid-week deal for $129 CAD for a 45 minute massage and an all-day pass to the baths (AMAZING!). It's totally the best thing ever - I do it a couple of times every winter. For really budget options, but on or close to the shuttle route, there is the YWCA (a bit of a walk, but not too bad), Banff Inn, Red Roof Inn.

If you do rent a car, I would suggest to spend a couple of days in Banff, and a couple of days in Lake Louise. If you have a car, you can really explore a bit -spend a day not skiing and go to the actual Lake Louise, Emerald Lake - it's an amazing area to drive around in. If you want to rent a car, more possibilities for accommodation open up. You don't need to take the shuttle, but you will have to go early to get a parking spot. If you want budget accommodation to offset the rent-a-car rate, you could look at Canmore. Most of the hotels are apartment/condo-style hotels, with full kitchens and bedrooms. Really beautiful. Places like Falcon Crest Lodge, Silver Creek Lodge, Solara, Mystic Springs etc are great. You're in the town of Canmore (which I love) and which has, in my opinion, some of the best food in the Bow Valley. I'm happy to give restaurant suggestions. With a car, you can stay in Banff, but you will want to make sure that the hotel you stay in has parking available and that it is free! With a car, it's easier to stay in the Tunnel Mountain area - somehwere like the Douglas Fir, or the Hidden Ridge Resort, or, if you're on a budget, the Banff HI Hostel (which has a couple of wonderful family cabins too). If you're feeling splurgy, there is always the Rimrock, which is also a drive into town.

If you do rent a car, you can always stay a few days in Lake Louise proper - the mid-range option that I like the most there is the Mountaineer Lodge (ask for a room in the newly renovated part of the hotel), and they include breakfast. The best budget option is the HI Hostel, and the expensive option is the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. And the food at Deer Lodge (caribou!), the Station Restaurant and Bill Peyto's, the hostel pub is delicious. With a car at Lake Louise, I would definitely suggest exploring the area. All the hotels still have free shuttles to Lake Louise Ski Resort -and I recommend that (even if you have a car), because its 5-10 minutes and gets rid of the parking hassle.

feel free to write or PM me if you have any questions. And if I'm around in April - I'd definitely love to show you the mountains!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

If will be spring conditions which could mean rain, sticky snow, or great powder but it won't be the brutal cold that sometimes occurs in Alberta in Dec, Jan, Feb.

Sunshine Village as well as Lake Louise will both be open.

April is also the best time to ski Whistler, imo. Best chance of sunshine, way, way less people than the rest of the year and everything is on sale at 30-50% off on top of the discounted Cdn dollar.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
If will be spring conditions which could mean rain, sticky snow, or great powder but it won't be the brutal cold that sometimes occurs in Alberta in Dec, Jan, Feb.

Sunshine Village as well as Lake Louise will both be open.

April is also the best time to ski Whistler, imo. Best chance of sunshine, way, way less people than the rest of the year and everything is on sale at 30-50% off on top of the discounted Cdn dollar.

Whistler is definitely also a great option. It's great when it's not crowded.

Though, I have to say - rain is not really a possibility in early April at either Sunshine or Louise. I've only skied in rain once here - and it was at Louise in mid-May a few years ago...Even in May, sunshine and a dry spell is much more common. Rain is more of a likelihood at the interior BC resorts in April.

Sponsor

Staff online