• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

David Chan

getting after it!
Instructor
Hi,

Now that it's getting further and further in to "summer" (even though here on the west coast we keep getting more snow)

I'm wondering if there are any people wanting to practice their MA skills while training for their next level certifications.

Over the past couple seasons I have been working on my "trainer" skills trying to help teach other instructors how to do MA. One of the things we found is that if in the process of learning how to do MA, if we can leave out our immediate desire to "fix something" we can really hone in on what's going on, what turn mechanics are being used, how the ski snow interaction is happening, etc. Then by building our "MA Eye" that way, once we have a clear vision of what's going on, very often the lacking skill and cause become easy to remedy.

If there is interest in doing some practice, I'm willing to post some video and start a dialog. It would also help me in my pursuit of being able to train/describe/help/guide other instructors wanting to learn. (so yes there is an ulterior motive for me and I'm wanting/willing to listen to other opinions about my responses to questions)

To be clear, Most of the video I have begun to amass of myself and others that I have permission to use, are NOT looking to resolve issues. The turns are well in our past.

Thoughts?

TS
David Chan

David Chan

getting after it!
Instructor
Sorry, stupid question but what is MA?
Movement analysis. It’s what instructors/coaches do to evaluate how skiers (or any other athlete for that matter) move so they can figure out if they can improve the movement pattern.

And that is not a stupid question.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hi,

Now that it's getting further and further in to "summer" (even though here on the west coast we keep getting more snow)

I'm wondering if there are any people wanting to practice their MA skills while training for their next level certifications.

Over the past couple seasons I have been working on my "trainer" skills trying to help teach other instructors how to do MA. One of the things we found is that if in the process of learning how to do MA, if we can leave out our immediate desire to "fix something" we can really hone in on what's going on, what turn mechanics are being used, how the ski snow interaction is happening, etc. Then by building our "MA Eye" that way, once we have a clear vision of what's going on, very often the lacking skill and cause become easy to remedy.

If there is interest in doing some practice, I'm willing to post some video and start a dialog. It would also help me in my pursuit of being able to train/describe/help/guide other instructors wanting to learn. (so yes there is an ulterior motive for me and I'm wanting/willing to listen to other opinions about my responses to questions)

To be clear, Most of the video I have begun to amass of myself and others that I have permission to use, are NOT looking to resolve issues. The turns are well in our past.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I need the insights and practice.

TS
David Chan

David Chan

getting after it!
Instructor
Seems interest has waned. Will save the rest for the fall.

DC

TS
David Chan

David Chan

getting after it!
Instructor
I'll watch for your responses or if you want we can take some of the conversation off line (Private messages)

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
One of the things that helped me with MA in both kayaking and skiing is video.

In the old days you had to shoot something with a camera, and look at it later. Now I shoot with a tablet and Coach's Eye while I am teaching. Immediately doing MA with a guest helps them immensely. For me, it has really honed my skills in identifying root causes. I can look at each frame, see a movement progression, and identify a root cause - and the symptom is often not the root cause. That ability to slow everything down, on slope, immediately as it happened, has enabled me to hone my eye that I can now catch those inefficient movement patterns in real time. The value of Coach's Eye for me now is in communicating those movements to the guest.

Of course, to get to that point you first need to understand the physics of skiing and have had mentored under someone who has that deep understanding, but Coach's Eye has been a valuable tool for me in developing my MA skills.

Sponsor