• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any experience with Stio or Mountain Hardwear?

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@bremmick - I'd decide what features you need in a jacket, then find the brand that builds it. Every brand makes something you won't like, and every brand sells a handful of items for above market value.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Fit will vary by the line of the jacket or pants within each brand. Some lines are athletic cuts or others full in conjunction with different features including pockets or different materials based on the intended use.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Had an Entrant anorak 30+ years ago, when Toray first came out with the material. It was bomber!

Ron

SkiTalk Tester

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
FWIW- I just saw this discount for Stio

We're sharing the stoke of the season with a special offer on our signature ski jackets and pants. Buy TWO select ski kit styles and save 20% by applying the code SKI-KIT-20 at checkout. This offer ends Wednesday, December 11th at midnight MT.

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
Dermizax holds up well in wet conditions. I’ve had the Environ kit out in spring Tahoe and Whitefish rime conditions.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
check out the Patagonia untracked jacket and pants. https://www.backcountry.com/patagonia-untracked-jacket-mens. The Demo team wears these. I think its one of the best made jacket and pants available for both materials and design,

I agree, I’ve been using the Untracked for 2 years. Awesome kit. My new ones just came in a few weeks ago. I like the fact they went back to a more traditional hood design versus the past 2 years of hood/collar bulkiness.

Reactions: Ron

Mikebike

Booting up
Skier
I am on my third season with my Mountain Hardware shell.... Dry Q Elite..... 60+ days of skiing each season. My prior one lasted 4 seasons before developing small holes under the arms -- They warrantied it and that is the one I am now wearing.
Mountain Hardware stands behind its products

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have the Stio Environ jacket (which I got based on @Ron's* recommendation) and happier with it, in most any condition (dunno about rain as, like @Ron, I'm in rainless CO), than any previous jacket.

* Hope @Ron is getting a commission or kickback from Stio.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
* Hope @Ron is getting a commission or kickback from Stio.

yes, I just bought a chateau in Chamonix. :). its what I like and what fits me well but there are a lot of excellent brands. Like I said above, If I had to only wear one kit, It would most likely be the Patagonia Untracked. I think the best brand no one knows about is Strafe. Killer stuff.

Last edited:
TS
bremmick

bremmick

Booting up
Skier
Mountain Hardwear claims 28k waterproof and 17k breathability on the 2L Gore-Tex Cloud Bank. 28k and 20k on the 3L Gore-Tex Boundary Ridge.

Any truth to this? First hand experience?

nunyabiz

Putting on skis
Skier
Mountain Hardwear claims 28k waterproof and 17k breathability on the 2L Gore-Tex Cloud Bank. 28k and 20k on the 3L Gore-Tex Boundary Ridge.

I've always been pleased with my Mountain Hardwear gear. I've only gotten two days use from the Boundary Ridge bibs I recently purchased so I can't offer anything useful in terms of how it performs. I do ski in Oregon so I should have a good feel by the end of the season.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester

I'm sure that's true but thats a 2L and Not a 3L so we're kinda comparing apples to oranges. Plus I dont know what kind of DWR is applied to the material. a little secret; if the DWR sucks, the fabric will wet-out. it might not wet-though but it will get wet. Also note that there is no true standard rating system for H20/breathability.

Last edited:

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
yes, I just bought a chateau in Chamonix. :). its what I like and what fits me well but there are a lot of excellent brands. Like I said above, If I had to only wear one kit, It would most likely be the Patagonia Untracked. I think the best brand no one knows about is Strafe. Killer stuff.
I have a Strafe jacket. Very nice. My only complaint is the tab on the pit zips needs to be larger.

Sponsor

Staff online