• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Better than a 35 mph stick through the liver!
Skier
Really? Thats shitty...the kid and i love trees and steeps. Are there any true steeps? What stuff out west would you equate it to? My frame of expectation of the east is icy blue groomers, posing as diamond and double diamond runs lol. The kid and i are competent skiers out west and usually have no issues skiing and enjoying most anything off pali(abasin)or superbee/alpine(copper) for refrence.
man, you're doing this all wrong! ppl move FROM pa TO the west ;) def a good call to look around clarks summit rather than in the valley. much nicer town, better school district (abington heights), a little higher elevation.

@tinymoose and I are pass holders at montage. we like it there b/c it's uncrowded, it has a nice variety of terrain (including some legit steeps), 1000' vert and the base lodge has decent food/beer options.

Jack Frost is our other usual haunt. not nearly as tall as montage (500' vert), but you can ski anywhere inbounds, so that's where we get to do most of our tree skiing in PA. JF also has it's own little microclimate and it typically gets snow when the other hills get rain (or nothing at all). it's good for a solid half day of skiing in normal east coast conditions....lots of nooks and crannies to discover on days when they get dumped on.

Elk mtn is OK, nothing really challenging there; it's basically a good mtn for intermediates. unless their signature bump run (tunkhannock) actually has bumps on it, the advanced skier will easily get bored after a few runs. the base lodge is out-dated and does not have adequate capacity to handle the typical visitor traffic there....and that's saying something b/c Elk is in the middle of nowhere and is usually not crowded. also, the lift tix at Elk seem a bit over priced for what you are getting. oh, and they don't allow skiing in the trees and will pull your lift ticket.

TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Skier
We would leave the house no later than 530 and haul ass as to try to beat the bulge of traffic onto 70. If conditions were bad it may take us 3+ hrs to get to the hill. We would ski then roll 3 hrs back if we were lucky. So 6 hrs of driving for 6 hrs of skiing cause theres no way in hell id get stuck on 70 on a sunday coming into denver...
@Jason Robertson

Montage is a good bet....it is cheap, friendly, and a super easy drive. Elk has some nice terrain, but is indeed the “anti customer service” mountain. Jack Frost (a bit to the south) has a high elevation, and thus generally better conditions, is also friendly, but has short runs (but lots of glades).

There have been weekends when VT friends complain of ice, while we enjoy pretty nice conditions. Of course, we don’t get the snowfall VT does (usually).

I hear ya about I-70. The area has grown exponentially. When I was in grad school there in the late 90’s, we would leave Boulder at 5:30 to get to Winter Park, and that was before I-70 had so much traffic. The last time I was there, I couldn’t believe the ski traffic on that interstate. In PA, skier cars are the minority, lol.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Really? Thats shitty...the kid and i love trees and steeps. Are there any true steeps? What stuff out west would you equate it to? My frame of expectation of the east is icy blue groomers, posing as diamond and double diamond runs lol. The kid and i are competent skiers out west and usually have no issues skiing and enjoying most anything off pali(abasin)or superbee/alpine(copper) for refrence.

There’s nothing in the West you can compare PA areas to, sorry. If there’s snow, you can find some decent trees at Jack Frost. White Lightning at Montage is fairly steep and usually bumped up. The key to skiing here is to just change your mindset.....don’t compare.

TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Skier
So lets talk boards...i currently run a set of ‘14 full rockered gotamas and a set of ‘16 head iTitans. Also carry a set of ‘12 rictor rock skis.
The goats are my go to all around mountain ski and my favorite boards period out west. The titans are my super burly groomer zoomers, but really too stiff for me to ski bumps in.
Anything in particular you guys like to run? I dont think i own anything narrower than an 82 waist, lol.

Reactions: BC.
TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Skier
No doubt on the mindset. Having been back in south texas for two years, any skiing is pure bliss. I think the whole night skiing coupled with the super short go ski at will travel distance, will be a huge plus towards filling that western big mountain hole. Im really excited just to be able to go slide around again, no matter the vert or pitch.
There’s nothing in the West you can compare PA areas to, sorry. If there’s snow, you can find some decent trees at Jack Frost. White Lightning at Montage is fairly steep and usually bumped up. The key to skiing here is to just change your mindset.....don’t compare.

TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Skier
from everything ive read, we will probably do passes at montage, then start looking for some of the nice vermont stuff for legitimate holiday/ski weekend stuff. Id love to go to stowe or mad river glenn. Heard so much about those places.

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier

Steepness-wise, the only 2 trails in PA that compare to western stuff are white lightning at montage and extrovert at blue knob. Unfortunately neither trail sustains their pitch for long, bc lack of vertical.

Elk mtn is OK to hit up once a season. It would be more entertaining if they would open up the trees. Even blue mtn (near Allentown...just south of th pokes) has tree skiing. Elk gets way too much hype for what it actually is.

If you do end up moving up here def send any of us a PM to meet up.

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
So lets talk boards...i currently run a set of ‘14 full rockered gotamas and a set of ‘16 head iTitans. Also carry a set of ‘12 rictor rock skis.
The goats are my go to all around mountain ski and my favorite boards period out west. The titans are my super burly groomer zoomers, but really too stiff for me to ski bumps in.
Anything in particular you guys like to run? I dont think i own anything narrower than an 82 waist, lol.

My daily drivers are the blizzard brahma (88mm) and volkl rtm-81 (full rockered) I'd like to pick up a pair of cheater SL skis for our racing classes. I know loads of ppl riding 90 plus and 100 plus wide skis out here. More power to ya if you can put those kinds of skis on edge on firm snow/ice.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
"Packed Powder" = Pocono Powder = granulated sugar. Even as a hockey player. you will gain a whole new perspective of what ice is.

When I was back there, i lived at Camelback, @Andy Mink and I cut our teeth there. Elk was a treat, it was tough to get a parent to drive us there, maybe once every other year.. Later, when I could drive and moved to Philly. I would pass Blue to go to Frost for the better snow. I would pass Montage for better snow...but this is when the city owned the mountain.

If you are thinking Clarks Summit, that is on the north side of Scrannnn-uhn ( you will learn how to pronouce it corrctly once you get there), Elk will be a bit easier to get to. Elk, as said is not the most customer friendly place to ski, it is all on their terms, it is surprising that they even let you wear your boots on in the lodge. I used to ski there when it was all slow lifts and no high speeds...oh wait. Also When I skied there back in the early 1980's, I had a friend venture into the woods once, I never heard from him again. . I think I saw him stocking shelves at the Viewmont Mall, if that was indeed him, he was a shell of himself.

Montage, an upside down area (like Frost) and does have the most challenge out of the local areas with The "East side", to quote one member who you know well, it is like a midget dipped in chocolate.

Because of where you are thinking, Camelback, too far to go for too little, just ski Elk.

Plattekill, NY, 2.5 hours, Mad River Glen type skiing...when its open. When PK is good, it is great when its not, stay away. You will either arrive with rock skis or leave with them. Huntah.... 84 east, 209 North, 87 North 23W, it will take you about 4 hours to get there. K27 is steep, IIRC that is where another member who we both know had his leg shortened.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We have some interest in the clarks summit area. We dont want to live in town.
Were predominatly looking between scranton towards tunkhannock

Abington Heights is a great SD....one of, if not top SD in NEPA...Very professional community. You really cannot go wrong in any neighborhood in Clarks Summit. Big money in the Abingtons. If you are up in Abingtons, your home resort should be Elk....your closer up there to Elk, and the weather/skiing can be better up there. (more snow)

When you get to town, go see Scott Hopkins at Guenthers at Elk....he’s got the best shop on the way up to Elk. Guenthers and Idyllwild handle all the racers in the area.....Higher end hard and soft goods.....great small town service from both shops...I prefer Scott. Most PugSkiers would probably shop at Guenthers or Idyllwild.

I’m at the Ski Corner on Saturdays. We probably have the most customers, but that’s because we tend to handle masses of:

-beginner/intermediate families of NEPA
->90 underfoot skis
-park kids
-snowboarding
-tons of soft goods
-always lots of sales/priced to sell

Last edited:

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We have some interest in the clarks summit area. We dont want to live in town.
Were predominatly looking between scranton towards tunkhannock

For a pure skiing perspective, the closer to Clarks Summit the better. Tunkhannock is out in the middle of nowhere....and would make traveling to ski much farther to basically anywhere in NEPA, NY, VT, etc.......and if you have kids, the SD is definitely not as strong as Abington Heights.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wow Elk haters!:huh:
I'd still take it anyday because it's snow quality is excellent for the Poconos like JF and it's a much bigger mountain. While not as steep as one small part of Montage, Blue has more sustained steeps and vertical, but the snow quality is inferior due to low elevation.

I ski an Elan Amphibio 88 XTi as a daily driver and Rossi Hero Elite LT for hard snow. I see a lot of Head SuperShapes at Elk and Blue, so that Titan will do nicely. I think a Fischer Ranger 90 might be your ticket for all mtn and moguls.

TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Skier
"Packed Powder" = Pocono Powder = granulated sugar. Even as a hockey player. you will gain a whole new perspective of what ice is.

When I was back there, i lived at Camelback, @Andy Mink and I cut our teeth there. Elk was a treat, it was tough to get a parent to drive us there, maybe once every other year.. Later, when I could drive and moved to Philly. I would pass Blue to go to Frost for the better snow. I would pass Montage for better snow...but this is when the city owned the mountain.

If you are thinking Clarks Summit, that is on the north side of Scrannnn-uhn ( you will learn how to pronouce it corrctly once you get there), Elk will be a bit easier to get to. Elk, as said is not the most customer friendly place to ski, it is all on their terms, it is surprising that they even let you wear your boots on in the lodge. I used to ski there when it was all slow lifts and no high speeds...oh wait. Also When I skied there back in the early 1980's, I had a friend venture into the woods once, I never heard from him again. . I think I saw him stocking shelves at the Viewmont Mall, if that was indeed him, he was a shell of himself.

Montage, an upside down area (like Frost) and does have the most challenge out of the local areas with The "East side", to quote one member who you know well, it is like a midget dipped in chocolate.

Because of where you are thinking, Camelback, too far to go for too little, just ski Elk.

Plattekill, NY, 2.5 hours, Mad River Glen type skiing...when its open. When PK is good, it is great when its not, stay away. You will either arrive with rock skis or leave with them. Huntah.... 84 east, 209 North, 87 North 23W, it will take you about 4 hours to get there. K27 is steep, IIRC that is where another member who we both know had his leg shortened.

Thanks Phil. I knew u were from that way, didnt know i was moving into your backyard, lol. The job is looking very promising. I could think of alot worse places to wind up for an extended period of time....like south texas.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
ELK is my first, eh, pretty much only choice in NE PA. I almost never go to the others. The closer you live to ELK, (and possibly Camelback the guys from there can tell you, IDK), all the better to escape to the Cats or the Dacks or VT, and believe me you will want to do so tout de suite! ...you'll see and I predict you will end up agreeing with everything I said.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not allowed to say what I want so I'm gonna leave it at that they probably don't fit in there and don't get the gestalt of the place. The impression I get from their comments. And yes the owner is a dick. The locals are cool.

Yes....thanks..lol..u hit the nail on the head.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
My first thought about what to tell a skier relocating to eastern Pa. and formerly lived in Rockies is the quote from the "Wizzard of Oz" - "Toto, we are not in Kansas anymore!. Whatever you do, do not chat when riding chairs about how much this place sucks compared to where you are used to skiing. Just be glad you live someplace where there is a short ski season that starts in late December and ends mid-March.

Elk offers the best skiing in eastern Pa - end of discussion. The snow, vertical drop, number/variety of trails and general vibe of the skiing community cannot be matched locally. Yup, slow chairs and the cattle-car ride from the parking lot to the lodge the price to be paid, but, all other areas have issues. Plus, you will live a very short drive, especially when compared to the 2.5 hours we Philly people face. I've always thought Montage rhymes with Garbage.

Elk does have a great demo day usually the first Friday following New Years. Plan on being there and you can test all the major brands on typical eastern snow. @Philpug got me hooked on my first pair of Kastle 88's there, you just might want to consider that ski for your new home. Personally, 88 would be my max waist in Pa skiing. Volkl RTM 84 is another.

Welcome to the eastern Pa group, if my achy knee permits, perhaps we can make some turns this season. There is usually eastern Pa skiing thread where you can ski with members of this group.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We also forgot to mention Greek Peak which is a bit northwest of where you will be. Like Elk it is about 1,000ft vert but a nice variety of trails....and in a good snow year, has some trees to ski.

@Marker, I don't think anyone is questioning the terrain of Elk, it is the best skiing in Northeast Pa, very well the whole state but it is the management that rubs some wrong. With that said, given the choice, many will look past that for the great skiing. If we don't like it, there are other options, it is their sandbox, we are welcome to play in it as long as we abide by their rules. Oh, another tip for Elk, eat in the fancy restaurant, it is not much more than the cafeteria and the food is better, plus you get good service (at least it used to be this way).

TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Skier
Interesting, we will certainly give elk a shot before committing to anything. Slow chairs arent the end all, were only talking 1k vert. We dont need much customer service, just a good place to ski. Good terrain and a good bar are priorities 1 and 2...something for the wife and kid to eat rolls in third. We can moonlight other hills for the times when were needing more. For instance, we prefer luv and abay over breck and vail.

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
....I don't think anyone is questioning the terrain of Elk, it is the best skiing in Northeast Pa......

um...i totally am, lol!

don't get me wrong, i do have a good time when i do ski at Elk, but for the price and travel time, it's really over-rated...IMHO. Elk is the type of mtn where you can just tip it and rip it all day long without having to really worry about the terrain all that much. if that's your thing, great. if not, then other places like Montage, JF, or Blue Mtn are better options.