• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Anxious to Ski

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
Actually Two kinds of anxious....

Anxious= excited for season to start
Anxious= worried about my ability w/ modern skis?

After a nearly 20 year layoff I returned to skiing last year. Our grandson was learning to snowboard. I spent most of my 'skiing' eves dropping on his lessons. Then 'skiing' with him after the lessons practicing what he had worked on. It worked fine but meant I really only skied short portions of a run and spent most of the time doing wedge turns on the lower mountain.
This year I bought a used pair of what I call modern skis. Rossignol Pursuit 200 (126-74-111) Before I had been on Rossignol Cut 10.4 bought just before I quit skiing when my grown children moved away.
I am anxious... Not just to start skiing again with my grandson. This time he will be on SKIS, my daughter who skis insisted... no more boarding. But also anxious as to what the MODERN skis will be like for me? Can someone who made a similar transition offer some suggestions? I did move from a 177 length to a 163 length. Even in my skiing past I relied heavily on wedging to start turns. I was never the two boots together carving skier so popular then. BUT I could get from the top to the bottom of the mountain selecting green and blue runs! What are some tips for using the new skis? With the wider stance will I be able to move away from the wedge turns? Will the increased surface area on newly tuned skis give me more float? More speed or less speed than I am use to? Moving from the CUT 10.4 model will I find the Pursuit's calmer or more dynamic. Hopefully easier to ski on! Skiing here in UpState NY is still a month or more away so I have plenty of time to be 'anxious'. Suggestions, please. Thank you.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dont be anxious. Relax. You are going to have fun. And you're skiing with your grandson! It doesnt get much better than that. Skiing is still skiing, the equipment changed a bit, thats all. Take a lesson. Or two. And remember to have have fun!!

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Maybe you can meet up with @ADKmel for a quick lesson. You anywhere near Royal?

This will be such a fun winter for you. Go and enjoy!! And as for Mom insisting skis...does it matter how grandson is sliding around...long as he's sliding and doing it with you!! I gave this advice to a friend years ago. Sonny wanted to board. Friend took and ran with it. Well many years later, Sonny is skiing and still hanging out with Dad.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
HI! I ski Royal, Gore and Whiteface.. Royal is fun it's small but skis big area. Don't fret! New skis are amazing!! The are so stable compared to our old straight skis! Once you stop looking for the long tips and just ski you'll be fine! I suggest a tune up lesson- worth the $$ just to have someone give you helpful tips body position etc. Here's to a great winter!! Welcome Back!

TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
From posts on this site I found SKNG Ski School Youtube videos. Short but VERY useful. Last year was really my return to skiing year. This year with SKNG video help I am much more prepared. Really hoping the Pursuit 200 skis will be that extra confidence builder I was lacking from last year with the Rossi Cut skis.
As for our grandson moving to skis from board.... He did well with the boarding but the lessons were dis-joined. Different instructors nearly each time so a lot of repeated points without a lot of advancement. Ex: Never got to load and unload from chairlift! But biggest factor for the switch was because he was an 'orphan' boarder. Friends and family all ski. He has a rental ski package this year that I am sure he will outgrow in a year. BUT I may secretly buy a used board and some boots to stash away. I thought the boarding was cool... even considered it myself. Until the helpful guy at the rental shop smiled and said 'most guys your age don't like sitting in the snow'. At age 72 then I realized he was making a valid point. :)
BTW This year I will ski West Mt and bought frequent skier card for Gore. Figure Sunway trail at Gore might be just my speed for awhile.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
From posts on this site I found SKNG Ski School Youtube videos. Short but VERY useful. Last year was really my return to skiing year. This year with SKNG video help I am much more prepared. Really hoping the Pursuit 200 skis will be that extra confidence builder I was lacking from last year with the Rossi Cut skis.
As for our grandson moving to skis from board.... He did well with the boarding but the lessons were dis-joined. Different instructors nearly each time so a lot of repeated points without a lot of advancement. Ex: Never got to load and unload from chairlift! But biggest factor for the switch was because he was an 'orphan' boarder. Friends and family all ski. He has a rental ski package this year that I am sure he will outgrow in a year. BUT I may secretly buy a used board and some boots to stash away. I thought the boarding was cool... even considered it myself. Until the helpful guy at the rental shop smiled and said 'most guys your age don't like sitting in the snow'. At age 72 then I realized he was making a valid point. :)
BTW This year I will ski West Mt and bought frequent skier card for Gore. Figure Sunway trail at Gore might be just my speed for awhile.

If you like video's highly recommend Deb Armstrong Videos! She and they are awesome!! Renting for kids makes a lot of sense, when they grow and can trade them in! Maybe I'll see you at Gore- Yes Sunway aka "funway" is a great trail.. Gore is loaded with Blues! Hope to see you out there!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is exciting. Can't wait to see how much fun you have. Please report back.

Reactions: mdf

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
So much easier to ski well on newer gear. Like power steering for cars.

Sponsor