• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I don't understand the question. Thousands of people are enjoying skiing on their multi resort pass. What are you actually asking?

Simple really. Pretty sure IKON exisits because of the Epic Pass, MCP was a way for the non MTN resorts to get into the game. Then EPIC was well....MTN.

Sure there are other, but not at this scale. They built it. For better or worse.

To the OP @marjoram_sage I have an EPIC Local (have had one since OG Colorado Locals Pass) and a MCP <- so a lot of IKON hills.

The difference to me is that everything at EPIC hills is meant to separate you from your $. I view it like a trip to Vegas. Do I prefer IKON hills? Sure, but that is because of terrain - JH, Aspen Ski Co, LCC . But to be honest, for me, skiing @ Vail is like skiing with an old friend. Call me nostalgic or whatever, but my ski season doesn’t start until my annual birthday week trip in very early Dec to Vail. It’s cold, there is generally good snow, low crowds and Holiday lights. If you can’t have a good day at Vail, assuming snow is decent, you are doing it wrong. But I’ll pay to ski DV vs free at PCMR, different strokes for different folks. And JH vs. Vail is a no brainer I’m going to WY (until I look at airfares, either $ or miles) :)

I debated IKON this year, but ultimately chose the path of least resistance and familiarity - a locals pass and MCP

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
You want to see some anti Vail sentiment, check out the Epic Pass page on FB. Everyone is in the same position. Paid for a pass, never received the pass. No way to communicate with Vail. No more Chat, no reply to emails, customer service just hanging up on people "by accident."

People show up to the mountain with the hopes of picking up their pass to wait 2+ hours inside a crowded building with no social distancing to do so.

At least Rob Katz knows there is a problem.:nono:

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
why would a replacement pass take 2+ hours, it’s never taken me more than 2 minutes. Get a new one every year.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I went to Stevens on Wed & Thursday this week, with new snow there were a lot of people in line to pick up passes that hadn’t been received in the mail, as well as those picking up day tickets that were ordered online and it was probably a 30+ minute wait for most people. This is with the reservation system in place.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Cause they're were hundreds of people waiting to pick up their daily tickets. It's the same line.
Well, that would explain that. Not certain about the drama about reaching customer service. Seeing this post wanted to talk and find out the guest Serices desk hours - was talking to a human in less than 5 minutes and got my answer. Said to go after 10am,

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Im Glad i bailed on Epic and IKON this season after seeing whats happening around NE, im enjoying the freelancing.
Top -Mount Snow ticket line Friday, bottom- Mount sunapee yesterday - 2 feet of EPIC snow for the masses but 3 trails open
vail sucks 1.JPG

Attachments

• vail sucks 2.JPG
    vail sucks 2.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 19

Jersey Skier

Skier
Well, that would explain that. Not certain about the drama about reaching customer service. Seeing this post wanted to talk and find out the guest Serices desk hours - was talking to a human in less than 5 minutes and got my answer. Said to go after 10am,

How'd you manage that? I just called and the customer service message says to "due to high caller volume, please call back at another time."

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
How'd you manage that? I just called and the customer service message says to "due to high caller volume, please call back at another time."

you don’t call the general #, you call ski school reservations # @ Vail - puts you in the same place. Might not work if you aren’t actually trying to get info about skiing @ Vail in CO.

Jersey Skier

Skier
you don’t call the general #, you call ski school reservations # @ Vail - puts you in the same place. Might not work if you aren’t actually trying to get info about skiing @ Vail in CO.
Well I guess that's why everyone else is complaining. Maybe I should post up on FB that everyone should call Vail's ski school reservation number to get info.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
^ there are many numbers on their website, I just picked one that was not the general # and what I felt would have the best chance of reaching a human. Pretty much SOP, in these types of situations. I just needed to confirm service desk was open and hours, they gave me the guidance on after 10am. Need to pick up my pass.

the nice lady didn’t identify herself and part of the ski school. I chose > group > new... can’t imagine that call tree is highly specific.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
The demand for recreational activities , well two that I can speak for, skiing and golf are off the charts. Looks like people will put up with a lot of inconvenience this season to ski.
I guess there is two sides to this regarding callous mountain management, but likely they are operating with reduced staff.
Skiing is expensive, and along with making that financial outlay, its only human nature to expect better treatment. Anyway things are pretty screwed up right now.

Just came back from Macy’s shopping again for my wife. My daughter wrapped the presents I got her and said the clothes I purchased last week were only “OK”.
I had a card they gave me last Sunday when I paid for everything that the check out lady said was good for a $49 discount if used between 12/18- 12-24.
Went back this PM and bought another top that was marked 50% Off and paid for it with the card and I still have $10 on the card left!
Vail and many other resorts have no need or motivation to discount services due to high demand.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I had a thought run through my head.
What if I were a shareholder?
What if I were a shareholder who is also a pass holder?
What if I were a shareholder who is also a pass holder who is also a slope side resident who can't ski because of all this?

Don't get me wrong. I understand that the COVID situation is a moving target, but in the midst of all this, VR is dropping the ball on the basics like....getting passes out to pass holders.
Influenced by cutbacks? Probably.

Jersey Skier

Skier
I had a thought run through my head.
What if I were a shareholder?
What if I were a shareholder who is also a pass holder?
What if I were a shareholder who is also a pass holder who is also a slope side resident who can't ski because of all this?

Don't get me wrong. I understand that the COVID situation is a moving target, but in the midst of all this, VR is dropping the ball on the basics like....getting passes out to pass holders.
Influenced by cutbacks? Probably.

I would think they would at least be smart enough to update their website and remove the notice to use the Chat feature for help, since it doesn't exist. It's like rubbing salt into wound for people who are pissed off already.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, now I've got a new complaint. Went to the Mt. Snow website to check out the mountain cams. In years past, they had four: base, summit, north face, and snow stake. Between them all, one could get a pretty good idea about conditions and traffic. Now...sh*t. Snow stake cam (I guess it's right; who knows?), and one non-functioning summit cam that returns only green screen. No base cam, no north face cam.

If one were cynical, one could conclude the resort is attempting to obfuscate and conceal traffic and snow conditions on the mountain. This in a year when observing traffic and line-management protocols are ESPECIALLY important.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, now I've got a new complaint. Went to the Mt. Snow website to check out the mountain cams. In years past, they had four: base, summit, north face, and snow stake. Between them all, one could get a pretty good idea about conditions and traffic. Now...sh*t. Snow stake cam (I guess it's right; who knows?), and one non-functioning summit cam that returns only green screen. No base cam, no north face cam.

If one were cynical, one could conclude the resort is attempting to obfuscate and conceal traffic and snow conditions on the mountain. This in a year when observing traffic and line-management protocols are ESPECIALLY important.
I’ve noticed this at Stevens as well, also they no longer include DOT cams showing traffic and road conditions.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
^New to you, perhaps. This has been an ongoing "presenting a consistent message" :rolleyes: syndrome at all the VR resorts I'm interested in.

Reactions: zag