• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Another Zip Fit Question

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
So, bought some Zip Fit liners from a forum member here. I keep reading about people taking hair dryers with them and/or using heated boot bags to enable them to boot up in the morning. I have a 1/2 hour drive to the mountain and always use the lodge to boot up and take them off at the end of skiing. I should be ok, right? My boots are always stored at indoor room temp. Sorry for the dumb question but I've read some pretty outlandish things about people booting up in the morning with Zip Fit liners.

Thank you!

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
Heated boot bag is great. Since I got one I use it every time regardless of outside temperature. Use it with the ZipFit liner boots and the standard liner boots.
That being said I have no problems getting the ZipFit into Head Raptors at room/car temp. And people seems to think this setup is on the tighter end. I wouldn’t worry about it. As I’ve said a little silicone spray goes a long way. Oh yah I have a strip of slippery duck tape on the inside cuff back to cover the edges.

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier
The heated boot bag or boot dryer first thing is just for added comfort and helps ensuring the omfit goop moves a bit easier at the start of the day - not vital but warmer feet and a quicker to mould to your daily foot shape liner is no bad thing... you could just as easily have your boots in the car's footwell with the car heater blowing down on them.

Do NOT leave your boots overnight in the car in a freezing car park, drive to a ski hill and go skiing.... oooh, that was a stupid and deeply unpleasant mistake I made one day... :doh:

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
This vid shows how I put on and remove my boots.

Putting on the boot as one unit displaces the OMfit and ruins the ankle/heel pocket.

Be careful with heated bags if you have punches in your shells. High temp settings can undo the punches.

I typically put on my liners before I leave if I don't have to stop at the gas station. I do have a hot gear bag for times when I can't wear my liners on the way up the hill. I only use it on the lowest setting as I have "Bode" punches on the inner ankle

I sometimes do the "put your boots in under the floor heater" method.

Honestly, I don't have a hard time getting my boots on or off even when cold, I just don't want to put a cold Zip fit on. Cold Zip in the morning is cold all day. Usually they stay warm if put on warm.

Last edited:
TS
Shawn C.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for all the kind replies, folks! I do have punches in my boots so I will be careful when I do the initial Zip Fit fitting.

webskis

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have had Zipfits for several years, and as someone else commented it has more to do with the shell for ease of putting on boots. When I had the older (‘09) Salomon Falcon Pro’s it was very hard to get in the shell putting on Zipfit first per Sven’s recommendation. When I got the newer Salomon XMax Race the ease of putting on the boot was dramatically easier. Definitely don’t leave boots in car overnight.
It does take a while to get use to putting Zipfit liner on first, then the shells, BUT when you do it is so much easier getting the boots on or off. The other bonus is your liners & shells get dry and warm overnight.

chopchop

so many skis, so little time
Skier
This vid shows how I put on and remove my boots.

Putting on the boot as one unit displaces the OMfit and ruins the ankle/heel pocket.

Be careful with heated bags if you have punches in your shells. High temp settings can undo the punches.

I typically put on my liners before I leave if I don't have to stop at the gas station. I do have a hot gear bag for times when I can't wear my liners on the way up the hill. I only use it on the lowest setting as I have "Bode" punches on the inner ankle

I sometimes do the "put your boots in under the floor heater" method.

Honestly, I don't have a hard time getting my boots on or off even when cold, I just don't want to put a cold Zip fit on. Cold Zip in the morning is cold all day. Usually they stay warm if put on warm.

Amazing technique. Saved me lots of experimentation.

Sponsor

Staff online