• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Another Winter Tradegy

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have had to do some research regarding ice capabilities as part of some job access requirements. It is very thorough and detailed. A piece of machinery over 5000kg operating on ice needs to have a study by a professional engineer. There are many things to consider, point loading, dynamic loading, temperature changes of more than 10 degrees celsius, etc. etc. Not just some 'Rule of Thumb reckoning' that you may use for 2 men on a snowmobile , but a lot more detailed and complex. A sno-cat of that weight may require 70 or 80cm of clear blue ice. Ice quality needs to be assessed and a rescue plan has to be in place. Personnel need to be properly trained to recognize the hazards and have all their PPE.
Sorry for the minor rant, but in my business ,(construction) , safety is paramount. Nothing happens by accident. This is a needless tragedy.

Doby Man

Out on the slopes
Skier
... and what was the result of all that construction research? Don't build a house over a frozen lake? That would be excellent advice to anyone with such a penchant.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I have had to do some research regarding ice capabilities as part of some job access requirements. It is very thorough and detailed. A piece of machinery over 5000kg operating on ice needs to have a study by a professional engineer. There are many things to consider, point loading, dynamic loading, temperature changes of more than 10 degrees celsius, etc. etc. Not just some 'Rule of Thumb reckoning' that you may use for 2 men on a snowmobile , but a lot more detailed and complex. A sno-cat of that weight may require 70 or 80cm of clear blue ice. Ice quality needs to be assessed and a rescue plan has to be in place. Personnel need to be properly trained to recognize the hazards and have all their PPE.
Sorry for the minor rant, but in my business ,(construction) , safety is paramount. Nothing happens by accident. This is a needless tragedy.

The accident happened at 1AM it seems. Dont think its work related. Joy Ride perhaps? :(

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When I was in Michigan, I was the risk management officer for a motorcycle club that hosted ice races on Lake Cadillac.
We spent countless hours drilling holes in the lake to measure ice depth and determining how many bikes could be on the lake, let alone the racers who wanted to take their race trailers onto the ice. Sometimes we could allow the trailers, and sometimes we couldn't.
Here is a photo taken by Cadillac News
12778751_934023136634660_1568088822944301188_o.jpg

I remember one year we used red food coloring in water to mark the start/finish line. At the end of the day we just dumped the leftover water and packed up our stuff. Two days later we were contacted by the DNR asking if there was a critical accident because some ice fisherman found a giant puddle of blood.
We laughed. Then we switched to green food coloring for the next race.

Here's a video I took 11 years ago with a crappy camera.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Yeah, that was a "hold my beer" moment. Do sno-cats have cup holders?

Let's see who is going to sue who... will the insurance pay off the loss to the owner? Will the bereaved family blame the owner for leaving the keys in it? What a cluster...

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
People used to ask my dad when it was safe to go on the ice. We used to say, when the city people stop falling through.. Tongue in cheek, this is still a tragedy even if beer was involved..

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, that was a "hold my beer" moment. Do sno-cats have cup holders?

Let's see who is going to sue who... will the insurance pay off the loss to the owner? Will the bereaved family blame the owner for leaving the keys in it? What a cluster...

https://www.westernslopenow.com/new...lake-on-grand-mesa-for-missing-men/1755062698
Michael Wenner, owner of the Grand Mesa Lodge, said Wells brought a privately owned Sno-Cat with him and apparently asked about taking it on the ice. Wells was told this would not be a good idea because of the weight of the vehicle.
Wenner said he was later awakened by the sound of the Sno-Cat starting late at night.
Who else privately owns a snow cat? raise your hands

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Late night, beer, weed, your own sno-cat, and a frozen lake. What could possibly go wrong?
Good thing there probably wasn't room for 4 people in it.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
The plot thickens - but not the ice.

This is tragic and I shouldn't be making wise cracks but I can't imagine doing this.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The plot thickens - but not the ice.

This is tragic and I shouldn't be making wise cracks but I can't imagine doing this.
Lake ice is a funny thing. Stupid things happen. You can't imagine. I don't know why.

Edit: I mean I don't know why they happen .

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Maybe they were going ice fishing?
Suppose we have this all wrong and it wasn't like a Piston Bully groomer, but this thing:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
"You'll be warm, dry and arrive there in no time!"

comedy gold...

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
... and what was the result of all that construction research? Don't build a house over a frozen lake? That would be excellent advice to anyone with such a penchant.
Late 80's Early 90's- western end of Lake Sacajawea in western North Dakota- an oil well operated by Texaco that had been shut in years before was plugged and abandoned. The well was shut in- not producing -and had a brick moat around it. Was drilled before Garrison Dam created the lake in the 50's. Any how, an ice bridge was constructed to the site and a pad built for the workover rig, pumps and other equipment. If memory serves, took about a month to build the needed thickness. Similar technique is used for Prudhoe Bay drilling.

Sponsor

Staff online