• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Please bear with me for posting another one of these threads :roflmao:

I've been reading and researching for a few weeks now and still haven't come to any solid conclusion on what my be best for me. I'm not opposed to having a multi-ski quiver, but want to start with the first purchase as if I am going to be stuck with a OSQ. The basics:

Height: 70"
Weight: 200lbs
Level: Expert frontside, not a ton of experience off-piste
History: High level racing, then stopped skiing for a while
Use: Primarily frontside, though mix of groomers and trees etc, probably 70/30
Skiing Style: Fast and aggressive
Preference: Excellent carving, stability, can handle aggressive style, not incompetent in the trees
Length/Width: No real preference, like radius on the shorter side, though

I've been reading about and researching all of the normal skis in this category and really am not leaning toward one over the others. In the future I could see myself building out a quiver with a Slalom ski, all-mountain eastern ski, all-mountain west ski, and 100mm+ waist powder ski. However that could be a ways off so I'd like to start with something that could act as a OSQ for the east coaster who takes a few trips west.

If there's any other relevant info that could be useful for recommendations please let me know. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Can you expand on "high level racing"?

Where's your home base in the east?

TS
R

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Can you expand on "high level racing"?

Where's your home base in the east?

Was involved with the lower levels of USST until family matters took me away, mostly SL and DH. Sort of lost interest and never went back to it. Walked away before I was old enough to have a real shot at anything - was in the same camps as some of the big names now.

No home base on the east coast. I have to drive/fly to VT/NH etc. PA skiing is closest.

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Head ititan from 2 years ago.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Use: Primarily frontside, though mix of groomers and trees etc, probably 70/30

Yeah, that doesn't sound like the Speed Zone, taken together with your other info. With your race background, you'll make any solid sub-90mm ski sing on groomers. You'll want a little bit of width and tip rise for the ungroomed. People more your size will respond, but Monster 83 and Stormrider 88 come to mind.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
He wants a short radius....

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
KASTLE MX 84 SKIS

TS
R

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Would love the Kastle from what I've read, just don't think I could bring myself to spend twice what it's competitors go for - same goes for Stormrider. Would the Head Kore be too floppy for me?

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Would love the Kastle from what I've read, just don't think I could bring myself to spend twice what it's competitors go for - same goes for Stormrider. Would the Head Kore be too floppy for me?

Kore skis are actually quite stiff, especially the new 99 but more of a light, Free Ride/off piste type feel and might be more of an option for your “all mountain West Coast” in the future. I find them too light weight for crud charging and not as great carvers compared to other options.

The first ski that came to mind for an “all mountain East Coast” OSQ would be a 180cm 2018 or 2019 Blizzard Brahma. Strong carving capabilities, short but not too short radius(17m), good off piste and in the typical East coast afternoon crud. 88mm underfoot which is a safe bet for all conditions.

TS
R

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Kore skis are actually quite stiff, especially the new 99 but more of a light, Free Ride/off piste type feel and might be more of an option for your “all mountain West Coast” in the future. I find them too light weight for crud charging and not as great carvers compared to other options.

The first ski that came to mind for an “all mountain East Coast” OSQ would be a 180cm 2018 or 2019 Blizzard Brahma. Strong carving capabilities, short but not too short radius(17m), good off piste and in the typical East coast afternoon crud. 88mm underfoot which is a safe bet for all conditions.

Thanks for your thoughts. The Kore is certainly interested and I really want to try it out, I think the graphics are awesome, but it may not be a sure thing for me like the Enforcer or Brahma could be.

As a side note....is there anything wrong with buying demo skis that have demo bindings? Can demo bindings be easily replaced with regular bindings? Seems like the easiest way to get into some of the skis is buy purchasing demos.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks for your thoughts. The Kore is certainly interested and I really want to try it out, I think the graphics are awesome, but it may not be a sure thing for me like the Enforcer or Brahma could be.

As a side note....is there anything wrong with buying demo skis that have demo bindings? Can demo bindings be easily replaced with regular bindings? Seems like the easiest way to get into some of the skis is buy purchasing demos.

Agree on the Kore demo as lots love or hate them so not the the “you have to be crazy not to love them” of some other skis. Lol

Demo bindings usually have the same hole pattern as the regular version but to a fixed size(315mm boot length for example). If you’re the EXACT SAME boot size as what the the demo version uses, an installer could just manually unscrew the bolts, re-glue and tighten the regular version on.
If you’re not the same size as the demo fixed size, you might have to drill some new holes and seal off the old ones which is no big deal for any installer. Remounts are $25 either way so not a big deal.

Always deals to be had on gear as most places do 40% or more off old/current stock every spring and right now places are rotating 15% deals or more on 2019 gear. I find I can always buy new gear for less than demo gear prices and I get regular bindings right out of the gate with them. Most of the time it’s at the same dealer that did the on hill demos. Lots of people online selling almost new gear that wasn’t a great match too.

So if you’re close to a place where you can demo skis, try a bunch of different skis out to get a feel for what you like and then start looking for those skis at a good price. You’ll have your quiver in no time!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
As a mostly eastern hardpack and ice skier who has experience skiing on the west coast, it is very hard for me to imagine being satisfied on the eastern hardpack and ice with any ski I would want to take off piste out west.

Bite the bullet and start a quiver with an eastern carver (e.g. Fischer WC SC or the new Curve, Atomic redster S9, Head i.race, Head Magnum etc.), rent for now out west, or add a Volkl 108 to your quiver.

TS
R

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
As a mostly eastern hardpack and ice skier who has experience skiing on the west coast, it is very hard for me to imagine being satisfied on the eastern hardpack and ice with any ski I would want to take off piste out west.

Bite the bullet and start a quiver with an eastern carver (e.g. Fischer WC SC or the new Curve, Atomic redster S9, Head i.race, Head Magnum etc.), rent for now out west, or add a Volkl 108 to your quiver.
Do you not think something like Brahma or Enforcer will satiate my carving needs enough? Plan is/was to have something like those two, along with a traditional SL ski.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Time for a new plan. If you were a skier who never tipped his skis past 20 degrees and never made a lightning quick transition from one high-g turn to the next, and you only skied on softer groomed snow out west, those would be great. If you are an former racer, or a carving addict, skiing on hard snow where the carving tracks are scribed into the hardpack, you would be disappointed with anything more than a step away (two steps if the snow is soft enough for the ski to sink in an inch or more) from a FIS SL or FIS GS ski.

You could ski a Brahma or Enforcer 93 in deep soft snow in threes, but you would prefer to do that with any of host of wider skis, once you've tried them. So, if your plan is to get a new SL ski, it's quiver mate should be wider for a two-ski quiver.

If by traditional SL ski, you mean something like the old straight RC4 SL, You really really need to try the new curvy RC4 SL.

TS
R

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Time for a new plan. If you were a skier who never tipped his skis past 20 degrees and never made a lightning quick transition from one high-g turn to the next, and you only skied on softer groomed snow out west, those would be great. If you are an former racer, or a carving addict, skiing on hard snow where the carving tracks are scribed into the hardpack, you would be disappointed with anything more than a step away (two steps if the snow is soft enough for the ski to sink in an inch or more) from a FIS SL or FIS GS ski.

You could ski a Brahma or Enforcer 93 in deep soft snow in threes, but you would prefer to do that with any of host of wider skis, once you've tried them. So, if your plan is to get a new SL ski, it's quiver mate should be wider for a two-ski quiver.

If by traditional SL ski, you mean something like the old straight RC4 SL, You really really need to try the new curvy RC4 SL.

Thanks. You've got me convinced.

For east coast trees, what would the preferred options be, if my daily driver as a FIS SL or GS ski?