• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Another newbie joins ...

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
… and yep, that picture is me, thinking I am extra smooth suave sophisticated and handsome on Dynastar Omesoft 195s with Salomon 737 bindings and Salomon SX70 boots, sometime in December 1982 ...

But now, I am somewhat overweight and somewhat older, and was persuaded by @kimberlin to go skiing at Snowbowl AZ one day last year, and I had a BLAST! I had forgotten how much fun whizzing down the groomers could be (I suspect that there will be few Medicare Moguls for me in my knees' future). So much so that we went again and she persuaded me in the summer to put an order in for some RENOUN Atlas' which, they say, will be on the way within the next week or so. Well, given that, I'm just gonna have to ski a load more.

Oh, and I'm also a long distance cyclist - I rode the length of the River Rhine from Oberalppass (some nice looking skiing up there I suspect) in Switzerland to the estuary at Hook of Holland in May 2019, taking 18 days incl one rest day. I also rode the length of Britain from John O'Groats to Lands' End in June 2017, 1,015 miles and 54,301ft of climbing. You'd imagine that it would help the legs for skiing, but nah, they still burn at the end of a long run! ogsmile

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
Welcome, I myself had taken some "time" off (4 decades!) but got the bug again after a trip to Big Bear. I also bought some gear (who wants to rent?) and will hit the slopes next month hopefully. I cycle as well but nothing of that impressive nature though I do find things to torture my body with (BWR signup on Friday...).

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Welcome, I myself had taken some "time" off (4 decades!) but got the bug again after a trip to Big Bear. I also bought some gear (who wants to rent?) and will hit the slopes next month hopefully. I cycle as well but nothing of that impressive nature though I do find things to torture my body with (BWR signup on Friday...).
Thanks for your welcome - it looks like there are a few of us returning to skiing after a long while in the wilderness. But … I gotta say I'm not sure about the BWR signup - BWR???

Oh, and BTW, I worked out that the photo of my avatar was at Vail - and I still have those poles, although the skis, boots and bindings went to the big mountain in the sky a long while ago ...

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome Rob, from another Zonie!

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for your welcome - it looks like there are a few of us returning to skiing after a long while in the wilderness. But … I gotta say I'm not sure about the BWR signup - BWR???

Oh, and BTW, I worked out that the photo of my avatar was at Vail - and I still have those poles, although the skis, boots and bindings went to the big mountain in the sky a long while ago ...

Belgian Waffle Ride... 130 miles of torture and fun. I'm not sure how that'll work out for me but I'll post on May 3rd 2020 :eek: My father learned to ski at Vail in the early 70's. The instructor took him up the mountain and told him to follow him and off he schussed! My father took his time getting down the mountain lol

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
… and yep, that picture is me, thinking I am extra smooth suave sophisticated and handsome on Dynastar Omesoft 195s with Salomon 737 bindings and Salomon SX70 boots, sometime in December 1982 ...

But now, I am somewhat overweight and somewhat older, and was persuaded by @kimberlin to go skiing at Snowbowl AZ one day last year, and I had a BLAST! I had forgotten how much fun whizzing down the groomers could be (I suspect that there will be few Medicare Moguls for me in my knees' future). So much so that we went again and she persuaded me in the summer to put an order in for some RENOUN Atlas' which, they say, will be on the way within the next week or so. Well, given that, I'm just gonna have to ski a load more.

Oh, and I'm also a long distance cyclist - I rode the length of the River Rhine from Oberalppass (some nice looking skiing up there I suspect) in Switzerland to the estuary at Hook of Holland in May 2019, taking 18 days incl one rest day. I also rode the length of Britain from John O'Groats to Lands' End in June 2017, 1,015 miles and 54,301ft of climbing. You'd imagine that it would help the legs for skiing, but nah, they still burn at the end of a long run! ogsmile
Glad you found us.
Glad you got back into it
As for the cycling, you'll be a great asset to the Cycle section next summer.

Fun times ahead.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid